OCCRA
Go to Post I am definitely as much a student as any one of the kids on the team. - Hieb [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2005, 10:35 PM
FIRST Fanatic
AKA: Gene Falendysz
#0343 (Metal in Motion)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Gene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gene F
VEX programming

I am looking to offer a robot programming class next fall. I am thinking that the VEX kit would be a good platform for the programming assignments/examples. I want to be using the same language (C) as the IFI RC. Has anyone heard official news that the VEX programming tools will support programming in C. Nothing on the VEX site seems to give an answer to this question. I need to know soon for budgeting reasons.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Last edited by Gene F : 05-05-2005 at 10:39 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Software Engineer
VRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1995
Dave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond reputeDave Flowerday has a reputation beyond repute
Re: VEX programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F
Has anyone heard official news that the VEX programming tools will support programming in C.
Not a definitive answer, but the VEX RC contains the exact same processor as the FRC and EDU RCs (I peeked inside), so I'd be pretty shocked if it didn't support the same programming environment as those two products.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

please search

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...d.php?p=379211
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Former Lord of the Vex
AKA: George Marchant
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
GeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeTheEng

I was a Judge for VeX in Atlanta and spoke to Sam Mahserjian, the Marketing Manager for Radio Shack about the programming module. He told that it would be out in the August timeframe. It would based on the same C18 compiler that we use with the full size controllers, but they are building a custom GUI rather then using MPLab. The GUI would also beginning users to code via flowcharting and blocks (similar possibly to the Lego tools) but they would be able to that side-by-side with the C code and would be able to edit the C code directly or just write that themselves.

Sounds like an interesting way of doing it. In addition, this was sort of verified at the WPI programming session in the conferences. Brad Miller said that the company doing the work for RadioShack were coming out to speak with them the week after Atlanta and how it might be more graphical similar to what I said above.

Hope this helps and clears up confusion.

BTW, being a judge down there was great and I was impressed with what the teams did without any programming ability.
Philadelphia Alliance Regional Corporate Advisory Board Member |
FRC and FTC volunteer at too many places to list (NJ, VA, DE, PA, NY, Championship)|

"Hi my name is George and I'm a FIRST-aholic. I've been a FIRST-aholic since 2000..."
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 08:50 AM
FIRST Fanatic
AKA: Gene Falendysz
#0343 (Metal in Motion)

Gene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to beholdGene F is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gene F

Dave, thanks for the reply.

Greg, I did read that thread and several others but they don't really answer my question. I need to know if the VEX system programming in C will be available for purchase. I need to put together a budget proposal and need to know if I will need to look to a third party for this support. I have also posted on the VEX site.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Bringing .NET to Robots
AKA: Matthew Fowler
FRC #0312 (Heatwave); FRC #1369 (Minotaur)

fowlerm has a spectacular aura aboutfowlerm has a spectacular aura aboutfowlerm has a spectacular aura about

The company producing the development environment is Intelitek. The environment is called easyC and will be available when the programming module is available in August. You will probably need to contact Intelitek to get pricing information.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2005, 04:28 PM
So apparently it hangs......
AKA: Chris Carnevale
FRC #0177

Rookie Year: 2000
Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

All--
There is more information on the Vex Programming Accessory here:
http://www.vexlabs.com/forum

-Chris
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Lifer
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the Herd)

Rookie Year: 2003
Francis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond reputeFrancis-134 has a reputation beyond repute

Our sponsor (intelitek) is indeed developing the programming module for the Vex robots. Intelitek has quite a bit of experience in creating learning software. They write all the programs that are used on their CNC machines which are meant for schools. Although I am not a great programer, the module does seem to be rather cool. The flowchart aspect of it should make it easy for students etc. to pick up C programming. And no, I don't have a copy (so don't ask )

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
iTunes Podcast | Snapchat

A proud alumnus of teams 134 and 40 || Mentor of Team 190 || Director of Fun for BattleCry@WPI
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2005, 02:04 PM
no team

burtonrs is an unknown quantity at this point

I just purchased the programming kit for VEX from Radio Shack. It comes with EasyC V1.1 and the indication is that EasyC supports user defined functions. Inteletek indicated that I need to upgrade for $50 to V2 to support this. Can someone confirm this? I'm supprised that after spending $300 for the VEX kit, $50 for the battery pack and charger, $30 for tank treds, $100 for a programming kit, I now need to spend another $50 to support user functions. I'm starting to think this is a never ending expenditure to get a basic programmable robot. Anyone else think this?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2005, 06:13 PM
FRC #1640

Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

Easy C 1.1 supports user statements Not user functions. Easy C 2.0 supports user functions, global variables and some other enhancements. You can do quite allot with the 1.1 version. The problem is the code gets very long and convoluted. Being able to create user functions makes things easier and more readable. If this is for a Vex competition the 2.0 upgrade is free. The educational upgrade I believe is 25. Else they want 50$. Radio shack is not supporting 1.1 to 2.0 upgrades. You have to go threw intelitek. In my opinion 50 bucks is allot to pay for some thing that should have been released at the 2.0 level in the first place. There are allot of other improvements needed and I'm afraid Intelitek may try to put everyone on the upgrade tread mill.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-27-2005, 07:20 PM
no team

foobert is a jewel in the roughfoobert is a jewel in the roughfoobert is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonrs
I now need to spend another $50 to support user functions. I'm starting to think this is a never ending expenditure to get a basic programmable robot. Anyone else think this?
uh, yeah. i got the prototype programmer last summer, so i don't even have easyc 1.1. got mcc18 instead. what ifi told me was that if i want easyc i should buy a second programmer.

oops, i'm about to go off topic. seems to me that for an educational system there is an awful lot here that is off limits. the programming interface is intentionally obfuscated. if you ask ifi for information about the data coming from the radio, they tell you that that's proprietary information, although it looks pretty much like a plain vanilla ppm stream to me. there is no information on the interface between the master and user microcontrollers in the controller and the sources for the libraries that handle it are not available.

that said, ifi are, indeed, very helpful in areas in which they are willing to be helpful.

oh, well, i guess this is an education of sorts, after all.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2006, 11:32 AM
no team

Eric Jensen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm an old programmer, but new to VEX. It appears that EasyC system calls are all blocking functions. The basic loop time is what - 54 Hz, but every time I make an EasyC I/O call, it eats another loop time. After driving two motors and one analog sensor - a simple line follower - I appear to be down to 18 Hz. That's slower than the LEGO 20 Hz. Am I missing something? Is there another programming technique that doesn't waste the time? Would MPLAB cure my problems?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

I noticed that working with EasyC as well for my little shooter robot. The timing I was using for my firing mechanism was working abysmally, jumping by 200 ms at a time. I switched to MPLAB and solved all the problems.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
no team

Eric Jensen is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik
I noticed that working with EasyC as well for my little shooter robot. The timing I was using for my firing mechanism was working abysmally, jumping by 200 ms at a time. I switched to MPLAB and solved all the problems.
Sounds good. Will MPLAB comfortably coexist with EasyC, or do I have to pick one? Does MPLAB offer any good libraries? I gather (between the lines of other posts) that MPLAB supports a subfunction of operations to be performed on the tick, rather than a main that stops every time you do anything. Sounds like a better model, though I'll have to find some references on it. Any pointers gratefully accepted.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

EasyC and MPLAB won't co-exist at all. You have to pick one or the other.

MPLAB won't have any libraries that are particularly useful for you like the ArcadeControl() function, etc. On the plus side, there is a loop in the MPLAB code that runs every 18.5 ms. Instead of the various get and set PWM functions, you access the values directly as variables. PWM_in# are the inputs from the RC, pwm0# are the motor outs. Most things are documented in the code and FAQs at www.vexlabs.com

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: