OCCRA
Go to Post There are always rules we don't agree with, just like in life. Our character is defined by how we respond. - Mr MOE [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:32 PM
FRC #0085 (BOB)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Springman is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Offense/Defense rankings for 1043 teams

Here is a link for some individual robot scoring at West Michigan and Chesapeake.

Individual Scoring Thread
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:34 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the way I determine whether a team is carried or is carrying the alliance.
  1. Compute all team's average score for the event
  2. For each match, compute the average of Team X's alliance partners mean score across the event. Find the difference between that particular match score, and the new calculated average. Keep track of this number for every team in every match.
  3. Sum all of the calculated differences for each team together, and divide by the amount of matches they played in.

This should give you a pretty normal distribution of teams centered around 0. If the team is carried, they should get a negative score based on the other teams in the alliance average scores. The team in question's position on the normal curve shows how well they did.. the farther to the right the better. The standard deviation and sample density tell you how hard the event actually was.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 01:56 PM
FRC #2702 (REBotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Bongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond reputeBongle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Bongle

Here's the actual excel sheet. You'll have to disable macro security if you want to run the calculator. To only list teams going to atlanta, append an 'a' to whatever you enter into the input box at the beginning

http://www.student.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~...eamRanking.xls

Quote:
Looks like the Atlanta bound list is missing some teams...121 is going to Atlanta but is not on any of those lists.
It is possible that 121 only went to regionals that don't have match results posted. For some reason there are regionals that had match results last week or two weeks ago, but don't have them anymore.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Former Coach (2005)
AKA: Scott Weingart
FRC #0293 (SPIKE)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
sw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of lightsw293 is a glorious beacon of light

Let's do a little linear algebra.

Start with the assumption that each robot, on average, will contribute a certain number of points to their alliance's total in the matches that they play. The goal is to try to find that number for each robot using just the data from match scores.

Call the number of points on average a team contributes to their alliance's score their "offensive power rating". Let the vector of offensive power ratings be p. p is what we are trying to find.

Let s be the vector of the total points for each team at the competiton (the sum of the points scored by their alliance in their matches).

We can also create an nxn matrix (where n teams are competing in the regional) that represents the schedule for the regional. Call this matrix M. Define M as follows: M(ji)=M(ij)=the number of matches team i plays on an alliance with team j. Also let M(ii) be the number of matches that the ith team plays in total.

Fixing i=k and summing over j, M(k1)p(1)+M(k2)p(2)+...+M(kn)p(n) should equal s(k) be the number of points the kth team's alliances score at the competition. In other words, Mp=s.

Can we can solve for p here? Yes, because M will always be nonsingular (unless one team plays all of its matches with another team).

I broke everything down regional-by-regional, because many teams who perform poorly at one regional do very well in the next.

And the winners are:

Team Offensive Power Rating Regional
1114 62.31 Waterloo
25 61.74 Las Vegas
469 51.31 Detroit
233 50.55 Boston
25 50.21 Trenton
1126 48.38 FingerLakes
1114 47.04 GLR
175 46.48 Annapolis
987 45.52 Arizona
111 45.22 Wisconsin

Mean is 10.14, Median is 8.46.

I did not include elimination rounds. Nor did I include GTR, SBPLI, UTC, or BAE (missing or no match data). I will share all the offensive ratings with anyone who asks. Defensive ratings can be done in a similar fashion but your results will not really tell you who the good defensive robots are (i.e. the defensive ratings will be useless). I would appreciate results for the regionals I am missing.

Last edited by sw293 : 04-06-2006 at 03:42 PM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 06:03 PM
FIRST=life
AKA: Fro
FRC #1568 (Mechanicatz)

Rookie Year: 2005
akshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to akshar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongle
I never claimed they should be used for scouting, though it is good to repeat that they shouldn't since people might put a bit too much trust in numbers posted by someone anonymously on the internet. So here it is again: USE FOR SCOUTING AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, I have now put a warning on top of the thread.

As for numbers reflecting alliances as a whole, if that was truly an enormous flaw, then FIRST should probably re-work how regionals are run. This is nothing more than an aggregation of all the average scores, as if the entire planet was at a single regional together and were being ranked by that.
didnt want it to appear as if i was shouting, simply wanted to point out the obvious, sorry

2005: UTC Judges Award (We'll be Back Award)
2006: Boston Regional Winners with 121 and 233
2007: Boston Regional Finalists with 1626 and 121
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 06:22 PM
AKA: David Hillman
FRC #1577 (Steampunk) & FRC #125 (NUTRONS)
Team Role: Mentor

David55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to beholdDavid55 is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, but I am having a hard time understanding (maybe it's just because it's 2 Am here)

Our team is in first place in the "top defence finals only"

Is this good or bad? what does it mean? and what is the for/against?

David
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2006, 06:58 PM
FIRST=life
AKA: Fro
FRC #1568 (Mechanicatz)

akshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to allakshar is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to akshar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David55
Sorry, but I am having a hard time understanding (maybe it's just because it's 2 Am here)

Our team is in first place in the "top defence finals only"

Is this good or bad? what does it mean? and what is the for/against?

David

for: avg. points your bot scored per match,
against: points on average scored against your bot per match

the finals: i think it means using alliance scores from elimination matches only

its a good thing, 1577 is considered the best defensive bot

2005: UTC Judges Award (We'll be Back Award)
2006: Boston Regional Winners with 121 and 233
2007: Boston Regional Finalists with 1626 and 121

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: