OCCRA
Go to Post I want to use some of that mass-less rod in our robot - saves weight. - ebarker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute
Programming - Getting Started

With the advent of a new season and the influx of new programmers-to-be I decided to do a 1 or 2 page write-up on just how a programmer new to FIRST can get started. I wrote this up to bootstrap rookie team programmers. Sort of a how does one get started when they know absolutely nothing about where to even start programming the FIRST controller. It’s not intended to replace the IFI documentation, it’s more to direct new programmers to it. I tried to stay away from most "how to program" type stuff and more advanced topics like the Linux/Windows debate and configuration management. This is just to get newbies rolling. Anyone have suggestions, additions, corrections. Everything is up for debate.

P.S. I have enough tips now to continue the recent trend in “lists”, but I’ve created three lists: One for programming tips, another for tips specific to just the control system, and the third for quick starting new FIRST programmers.

Programming Quick Start
  1. Beginners need the following to program the FIRST robot:
    • FRC (Full-size Robot Controller) RC Default Code
    • Microchip MPLAB & C compiler
    • IFI_Loader
    • A standard serial cable
    • A Windows PC with a serial port or USB-to-serial converter
  2. All default code, updates, documentation, and support information is available at http://innovationfirst.com/FIRSTRobotics/documentation.htm, the Innovation FIRST (IFI) website, The default code “FRC RC Default Code” comes ready for basic driving and with a variety of sample I/O usages.
  3. MPLAB is the FIRST supplied Windows based development environment (edit, compile, debug) that runs on your desktop computer and is usually provided to each team on a compact disk in the Robovation kit. MPLAB is free on-line at the Microchip website http://www.microchip.com/, but the C compiler is not free except via the Robovation CD and is only available online as a time-limited trial copy or for purchase. Manuals for using MPLAB come on the FIRST CD.
  4. IFI_Loader (from the CD or IFI website above) is used to download the compiled code into the RC via a serial cable from your desktop or laptop computer.
  5. Check the IFI website periodically for updates to the software that corrects issues fixes problems.
  6. The programming language used is “C” or PIC assembly. Tutorials in C can be found on the web, in your local bookstore or on the FIRST website, e.g.,
  7. Newer laptops no longer come with serial ports. If you have this problem one solution is to use a USB/Serial converter. Various models are available at Radio Shack, CompUSA, or online.
  8. Documentation is your friend. Take the time to at least leaf through each manual, so you have an idea of where information can be found. Most of the basic information beginners require can be found in the IFI documents or MPLAB documents:
    • IFI Programming Reference Guide – basic how to program and download to the RC, hookup switches and sensors and do normal robot operations.
    • IFI RC Default Code Reference Guide – description of how the default code is structured and where users can add their own custom code.
    • MPLAB v6.xx Getting Started – basic how to use MPLAB and set options.
    • MPLAB C18 Users Guide – table of max numbers each variable type will store, compiler options, error messages, detailed descriptions of pragmas and some other advanced topics.
    • MPLAB C18 Libraries – details on timers, interrupts, and various other utility functions available to the programmer.
    • More advanced documents are also available, e.g., 18Fxx20 Data Sheet (& Errata)– PIC assembly instruction set and details on EEPROM and other chip specific topics, and several others.
  9. Programming limits to the 2004 RC:
    • 30,720 bytes program space is available to the user, after 2004 IFI code.
    • 1,343 bytes of ram available to the user, after 2004 code overhead.
    • 256 bytes of global variables available within any one MPLAB file.
    • 120 bytes of variables within a single routine.
    • The program and data space your code has used can be checked either by the status line at the bottom of the IFI_Loader window or via the optional .map file that MPLAB will generate for you.
  10. Common beginner problems include improper MPLAB project setup, trying to pack too much code into the controller, printf misunderstands, using too small a variable type to hold the largest possible intermediate as well as the largest final value of a calculation, and lack of proper variable typecasting.
  11. Visit the ChiefDelphi Programming forum for discussions on all programming topics, problems, and issues http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 10-28-2004 at 07:30 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Code Monkey
#0861 (The Gondobots)
Team Role: Programmer

Noah has a spectacular aura aboutNoah has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Noah
Re: Programming - Getting Started

1) Programming will take more time than you expect, especially if you want autonomous to work. Tell the team that the robot needs to be driving and in your (the programmer's) hands with at least three days before shipping.

2) Rookies: Don't program without sleep. Sure, you'll hear the experienced programmers bragging about a 36-hour code marathon, but all that means is that they are good at procrastinating. And working without sleep.

3) Don't forget to initialize a variable you are using as a PWM output to 127.

4) Increment your counters! (One year my robot span around in a circle for about three minutes...)

5) If at all possible, make sure the code works *before* dumping it into your robot

6) When testing your robot, lift it off the ground. Prop it up somehow. This can save lives! (well, shins, anyways)

Good Luck!

"We can fix it in the software!"
"It's a BROKEN GEAR!"
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2004, 05:23 PM
...misses her old team.
AKA: BurningQuestion
FRC #0716 (The Who'sCTEKS)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Jaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond reputeJaine Perotti has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jaine Perotti Send a message via MSN to Jaine Perotti Send a message via Yahoo to Jaine Perotti

you might want to add that sometimes serial to usb converters are really tempermental. Alot of people have trouble with them.
Maybe recommend a certain kind that is known to be more reliable than others?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2004, 05:43 PM
no team

Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah
1) Programming will take more time than you expect, especially if you want autonomous to work. Tell the team that the robot needs to be driving and in your (the programmer's) hands with at least three days before shipping.

2) Rookies: Don't program without sleep. Sure, you'll hear the experienced programmers bragging about a 36-hour code marathon, but all that means is that they are good at procrastinating. And working without sleep.

3) Don't forget to initialize a variable you are using as a PWM output to 127.

4) Increment your counters! (One year my robot span around in a circle for about three minutes...)

5) If at all possible, make sure the code works *before* dumping it into your robot

6) When testing your robot, lift it off the ground. Prop it up somehow. This can save lives! (well, shins, anyways)

Good Luck!
1) The dangers of killing people and dangerous situations etc can be avoided by using/making/building a dongle .Trust me its worth building that.

2) Things in theory are not always right practically. You can calculate how far your robot will go in a certain time, but when you do it practically you might find different reasons. For that reason everyone tells you to reserve a lot of time for programming autonomous.

3) Most of the time if you find a problem, look Though a C guide for syntax, or the Innovation FIRST programming guide, simple mistakes can cause you to go crazy. I agree to Noah, sleep is important, it helps you take it easy and not go bonkers programming.

4) Step by step: Don't write the whole robot code in one shot and expect it to work, do it step by step i.e. part by part, drives first, then arm, then other stuff....

5) Will think up more and post later...

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2004, 07:11 PM
College Bum
no team ((Team 75 Alum -- Capt 05 & 06))

av11d is a splendid one to beholdav11d is a splendid one to beholdav11d is a splendid one to beholdav11d is a splendid one to beholdav11d is a splendid one to beholdav11d is a splendid one to beholdav11d is a splendid one to behold

Download PowerPoint Module A:

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/C_help.htm

It has a great overview of the programming process.
2006 Team Captain

2006 BOSTON ENGINEERING INSPIRATION WINNERS
2006 NJ ENGINEERING INSPIRATION WINNERS
2006 BOSTON AVA WINNERS
2005 DUEL ON THE DELAWARE CHAMPS w/ 222 & 1721
2005 BRUNSWICK ERUPTION IV CHAMPS w/ 358 & 369
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2004, 10:37 PM
More nerd than you can handle!
AKA: Alan Meekins
FRC #0617 (HSHS 617 "DUKE")

scitobor 617 will become famous soon enoughscitobor 617 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to scitobor 617

1) Kill Switches: It's always a good idea to add drive/device kill switches.(If you have the time)

2) Limit switches can prevent an appendage from destroying itself. Last year my team constructed a poorly designed arm with the ability to destroy it self, limit switches are the only reason while that robot is still in one piece.

Your kidding, there are other operating systems besides Linux?!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Why did I come back?
AKA: Jamie Bliss
FRC #4967 (That ONE Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of

• Don't make everything inline! It is a lot easier to maintain, expand, etc. if all the code that actually interacts with stuff is buried, because you only need to change it once.
  • The compiler is extremely weird. If you get syntax errors for no apparent reasons (after checking for things like parens, semi-colons, etc.), type the line again, including the line breaks on each side.
  • If you really can't figure it out, sleep on it. Meaning: Leave it be and come back tomarrow.
  • [edit]Use #define for I/O port references. Same as reason the first: If you change which port it's on, you don't have to go through all your code.[/edit]

Last edited by Astronouth7303 : 10-29-2004 at 03:18 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2004, 04:31 PM
This is a line...
AKA: Paul
FRC #0818 (Genesis '02)

IMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to beholdIMDWalrus is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to IMDWalrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningQuestion
you might want to add that sometimes serial to usb converters are really tempermental. Alot of people have trouble with them.
If at all possible, get an actual serial port. USB to serial connections are usually not fun to deal with.

Comments are your friends. Use them, use them frequently, and use them intelligently. Try to document the code well enough so that someone who's never seen it before could understand it. There are certain things that you DON'T want to do - like, say, leaving excessive amounts of old code in the program but commented out, or copying and pasting PBASIC (!) into the comment sections - but it can't hurt to use them in most cases.

Try to understand the basic framework of the code ahead of time. It would be nice to have your programming team know how to map the controls to the robot fuctions, or how to set up a basic autonomous mode.

Be prepared to deal with time constraints. My team gets the robot with less than two weeks to go most years, and it can be hard to do what you want before you ship. Even if other teams are more efficient in getting the robot to the programmers, you'll still have to worry about making sure that your code works and that you'll have enough time to fix what doesn't.

Most importantly...have fun. The programmers tend to get less credit than they deserve, but the robot wouldn't run if we weren't there.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Pragmatic Strategy, I try...
AKA: Joeseph Smith
FRC #0066

Rookie Year: 2001
JoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeXIII'007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JoeXIII'007

This is an excellent overview, I'll have to make a copy for myself and the rest of the programmers on my team.

As far as programming is concerned, I have these few suggestions:

1.) LEARN BASIC or at least take a quick look. It will give you the basics of programming like logical, arithmetic, and relational operators, plus simple counter builds and other good basics.

2.) Then goto About.com's C Tutorial to learn the basics of C. How it's structured, done, etc. Try and find a simple compiler other than MPLAB while you're at it. I have Pacific C, but the site I got it from isn't working.

3.) Don't let all the script make you think it's difficult. Yes, there's a few difficult parts to get passed like the declaration of variables, knowing what they are, etc. The rest, however, is quite logical.

Otherwise, just remember that you ARE the most important group of people within your team, for it is the programming that makes it a robot and not just a highly modified RC car. Have fun!
General Purpose Programmer - Cooperative Institute for Limnology and Ecosystems Research (CILER) at NOAA-GLERL
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2004, 12:48 AM
Computer Nerd
#1352 (Huskie Robotics)

CrashZero will become famous soon enoughCrashZero will become famous soon enough

This is a good overview. But all you people talking about having programming "teams" i ask you : how is it that you get a team, for my team its always just me. And new programmers out there don't be discuraged when you get blamed for *every* problem the robot has. And don't think that you will get any fame out of the robot even if it does work. Everyone else in the team gets that. But hey us programmers get to have all the fun so i soppose it's a fair trade.
This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals. Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for. I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop me, but you can't stop us all...

quote from:

+++ The Mentor +++
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

• It's not ANSI C! It's funk-a-delic emaciated C!
  • Kill switches are not the way to go, IMO, "Live" switches are. Add some code such that if the trigger on your joystick is not depressed, the bot doesn't move. This way your driver just has to let go. How did I learn this? When Robots Attaaaaaack!
  • Remember: That piteous mass of metal that the build team insists on fawning over is little more than a glorified RC car without you. You are gods amongst sniveling wretches!!!
  • Err... Um... Don't let programming go to your head

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM
SPAM, the lunchmeat of superheroes!
AKA: Eric Schreffler
FRC #0180 (SPAM)

Rookie Year: 2001
EricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond reputeEricS-Team180 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningQuestion

Dr Joe has recommended a Bafo Technologies BF-810 if I recall correctly. From last year's experience, I have to concur that some are VERY tempermental.

Thanks everyone......this is a really good thread

Eric
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2004, 06:41 PM
More Grizzle
None #0341 (Daisy)

fred is on a distinguished road

KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid

Example:

2003: Our robot, Miss Daisy II won the Galileo Division at Nats. Number of Speed Controllers: 3

2004: Our robot, Miss Daisy III didn't work at Chesapeake, didn't work very well at Drexel or Nats, and only started working in the offseason.
Number of Speed Controllers: 10-12 (too many)

Don't let the mechanics bully you into trying to add way too much stuff. Simple stuff can work quite well and it also gives time to write a nice autonomous program.

-Anonymous
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist
  • You are gods amongst sniveling wretches!!!
I knew there was a reason I get up every morning

I'll post the programming and control systems list later on in the week.
I almost pulled a gwross and have a sprained wrist, so typing is slower. It's hard to post fast enough to beat the time-out.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 10-31-2004 at 09:48 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)

nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita
Thumbs up Re: Programming - Getting Started

this helped me soooo much. thank you all. this is our second yr competing and this is my first year in FIRST. i have a java background and a simple C background from 8th grade...but it was so long ago.

I'm the only one in charge of programming so when i was handed all these Cd's and codes and links and websites, i was pretty overwhelmed. i just learned about this today and I've spend the majority of the day looking through posts to answer my Q's

is there anyone here that i can directly e-mail or talk to if i have questions? (warning: I'm like a pet, i demand a lot of attn: i have questions everyday....or close to it)

also, everyone speaks about a "dongle" and i saw the picture and everything. but what exactly IS it?

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: