OCCRA
Go to Post Nobody wins a Regional on Thursday. - Bill Moore [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM
AKA: Jun Sasaki
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
jsasaki has a spectacular aura aboutjsasaki has a spectacular aura aboutjsasaki has a spectacular aura about
Re: 2012 Hawaii Regional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavapicker View Post
You were a good pick 2443, plus we were suffering from "Maui withdrawals" when Baldwin chose Waialua and we weren't their partner for the first time in three years. I wish I had listened/heard your drivers suggestion about sending Lahainaluna (another partner from last years alliance) over the bridge in the first match, you guys played great "D" in that second and third match. I'm sure we make it to finals if I had listened to you, that darn ball isn't under the bridge or McKinley doesn't shoot lights out in that third match (I still want an explanation for that from Alan) but we'd need miracles to knock off Baldwin/Waialua! That is going to bug me for years now! I don't know what it is but Waiakea loves the Maui teams. Probably because you guys are always very good and right there with us. For your seniors its best of luck and to your underclassmen we'll see you next year at VEX and other tournaments. You're going to love Worlds Baldwin. Don't forget to visit all the vendors ASAP to get shirts, frisbees, LED toys and more before they run out. Rotate your media pass so everyone gets a chance to walk the robot into the dome, its an unreal feeling. Shoots, now I'm wishing we were going with you guys! Tell your teachers to lotus notes me if they have any questions. Get your microbot teams going so we can go to Japan together! We're doing another bipedal workshop this summer on the Big Island, hopefully some of you can come to it. We're working on an 8 servo model that can be "walked" by a smart phone. We're getting closer to the Hominid bipedal i want to build and do tournaments with. Can you imagine soccer or sumo with bipedals at the high school level? Hopefully before I retire I can see it happen.
Is this Mr. Olive or Mr. Murphy? Baldwin loves waiakea as well! promise It was amazing to see 2 maui teams in your alliance! way to represent outer-island teams you guys had a great run. Maui High is going to be a beast next year as well as lahainaluna. They have sooo many committed students still young and already hooked to robotics. Makes me sad that im graduating hopefully I can stick around. Thanks Waiakea for 2 great years of being alliance partners !
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:25 AM
FRC #1056 (Hot Rocks)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Lavapicker is just really niceLavapicker is just really niceLavapicker is just really niceLavapicker is just really nice

Aloha Jun, its Olive! Murphy took a year off to concentrate on our cyberpatriot team. We may all take a year off next year. Me and my mentors need a break! We go year round with VEX, microbots, botball(which we're skipping this year), underwater ROV and all the workshops we teach around the State, Mainland and in Japan. I know we'll suffer withdrawals but its also nice getting home before dark in January and February. Its a good time for us to rest, no titles or Chairmans to defend and coming off a great tournament (world ranking of 20th in the latest OPR rankings). We've been taking these every couple of years since starting FIRST in 2002-3, most times for a lack of money but it's still a break. If we do come back I'm only looking at Mainland regionals. I really want to do Silicon Valley again and it conflicts with Hawaii. So many good teams there and I think we'll have a fairer shot at Chairman's having won engineering inspiration our last time there while getting ignored in Hawaii the last three years. Ok, we did get EI last year, the only year of the last three I didn't submit for CA. Its pretty amazing to get EI among all those established Veteran teams in Silicon Valley but not even rate in Hawaii?
2007 - Atlanta:Galileo Field (5-2)
2008 - SVR finalist*, Engineering Inspiration Award
2008 - Hawaii semi-finalist, Team Spirit Award
2008 - Atlanta:Archimedes (3-3-1)
2010 - Hawaii regional quarterfinalist
2011 - Hawaii regional finalist, Engineering Inspiration, Innovation in control
2011- St. Louis Galileo Field (7-3) 14th seed, quarterfinalist

2012 - Hawaii Regional Semi-finalist, creativity, industrial design awards
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:45 AM
no team

jsasaki has a spectacular aura aboutjsasaki has a spectacular aura aboutjsasaki has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Aloha Jun, its Olive! Murphy took a year off to concentrate on our cyberpatriot team. We may all take a year off next year. Me and my mentors need a break! We go year round with VEX, microbots, botball(which we're skipping this year), underwater ROV and all the workshops we teach around the State, Mainland and in Japan. I know we'll suffer withdrawals but its also nice getting home before dark in January and February. Its a good time for us to rest, no titles or Chairmans to defend and coming off a great tournament (world ranking of 20th in the latest OPR rankings). We've been taking these every couple of years since starting FIRST in 2002-3, most times for a lack of money but it's still a break. If we do come back I'm only looking at Mainland regionals. I really want to do Silicon Valley again and it conflicts with Hawaii. So many good teams there and I think we'll have a fairer shot at Chairman's having won engineering inspiration our last time there while getting ignored in Hawaii the last three years. Ok, we did get EI last year, the only year of the last three I didn't submit for CA. Its pretty amazing to get EI among all those established Veteran teams in Silicon Valley but not even rate in Hawaii?
Hey Mr.Olive! You guys totally deserve an RCA award in Hawaii for all that you do. Not saying Kalani isn't deserving of it because the definitely are but it seems that the outer-island teams have a bigger challenge because of being outer-island for awards such as WFA and RCA. I dont see any problem with not attending a home event but taking a break from FIRST would be sad to see. I believe Baldwin will be giving VEX to another adviser and FIRST will be only in Hawaii next year. This year has taken a toll on Mr. Suter and his wife. They work countless amount of hours finding money and donating ALL their time with no breaks from VEX straight into FRC. Whatever you do I hope to see you guys soon
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:31 AM
FRC #1056 (Hot Rocks)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lavapicker is just really niceLavapicker is just really niceLavapicker is just really niceLavapicker is just really nice

Thanks again Jun. Kalani does do good work and Mr. Silver has taken our brushbots, summer robotics camp and bipedals and added his own flare to them. I totally agree with you on the Outer Island thing though. Oahu just doesn't get it. I know I didn't when I lived there over 20 years ago now. From what you said I know you feel it too. I've had some very what I consider condescending things said to me over the years. They definitely don't understand how much harder it is for us to have to get airfare, rental cars, hotels, meals etc when we come there. Not to mention the fact we have to fly over with everything we need for presentations. Not like I can go to my room/shop and pick something up. As mentors we also have that added liability since I don't send the students home at night.
Mr. Suter and I are in the same shoes. Every team in the regional has a main nut like us...Glenn at Waialua, Osa Hank and Alan at Mckinley, Bobby at Moanalua and on and on. I think thats why we all get along so well, because we know how hard each other is working. Lucky for me I've always had at least one of my five kids on the team so I could justify the time I was spending. I really admire those who don't. I can't believe you guys pulled off Oregon with the bag and tag mess this year. I'll find out later how you did it. We're not going to VEX worlds this year although we qualified a team. No mo money! It was a down year for us anyway because we lost two months while they were doing school renovations. Next year.
2007 - Atlanta:Galileo Field (5-2)
2008 - SVR finalist*, Engineering Inspiration Award
2008 - Hawaii semi-finalist, Team Spirit Award
2008 - Atlanta:Archimedes (3-3-1)
2010 - Hawaii regional quarterfinalist
2011 - Hawaii regional finalist, Engineering Inspiration, Innovation in control
2011- St. Louis Galileo Field (7-3) 14th seed, quarterfinalist

2012 - Hawaii Regional Semi-finalist, creativity, industrial design awards
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM
AKA: Jordan Yamada
FRC #2090 (Buff n' Blue)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2009
Simspi182 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Mckinley 368 for picking us to be alliance partners this year. It was a really blast to the the math with you guys. Not to mention WHEA 3881 for also being a contributing factor to our alliances success.

Congratulations to all the teams this year, it was an awesome regional. Being apart of this regional for 4 years, I truly believe Hawaii is one of the premier examples of the ideals of FIRST; Coopertition and Gracious Professionalism. This being my last regional I'll participate in, in hawaii I'm looking forward to see how all the teams as well as the regional grows throughout the years.

A special thanks to all the volunteers, without you guys this wouldn't be possible.
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:25 AM
AKA: Cynthia Hannah-White
FRC #2465 (Kauaibots)

Rookie Year: 2010
Squillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant future

Quote:
I totally agree with you on the Outer Island thing though. Oahu just doesn't get it. I know I didn't when I lived there over 20 years ago now. From what you said I know you feel it too. I've had some very what I consider condescending things said to me over the years. They definitely don't understand how much harder it is for us to have to get airfare, rental cars, hotels, meals etc when we come there. Not to mention the fact we have to fly over with everything we need for presentations. Not like I can go to my room/shop and pick something up. As mentors we also have that added liability since I don't send the students home at night.

No mo money! * * * Next year.
Yeah, it's tough getting it all together from over here too. We've had a really hard time this past year raising the funds we need... everyone is cutting back, our sponsors are cutting their workforces and just scraping to keep things together. In a way it was a relief (OK, bittersweet) that we didn't get a ticket to St. Louis. Sure, we would have loved it, but I don't know HOW we could have raised the bucks to get even a skeleton team there, at $1000 pp. just for the RT airfare. And when it costs so much, in TIME and energy as well as money, just to get to our closest regional, we always feel like we're running a few steps behind. We cut our budget by SO much this year and still had trouble getting it together. I wish I knew of some sources of grant money that would pay for travel costs, but those are pretty hard to find. And you can only keep hitting the same small community so many times before the money runs out. However, living on Kauai has other advantages, I gotta admit.

And we have a great, young team this year, and lots of ideas and inspiration for next year. And our first ever win of an elimination match! That was really inspiring. Thank you to our alliance partners 2459 and 1378 - even if our team was picked by accident, I think we all did pretty well!

Just curious - a question for the alliance captains, including those who ended up picked by other captains (359, 2443 come to mind) - were we (2465) on any of your picklists as a 3rd team, if we hadn't been picked first round?
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:34 AM
FRC #2465 (Kauaibots)

Squillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant futureSquillo has a brilliant future

Oh, and Hot Rocks 1056, you truly have a "Robot of Awesomeness" this year. You absolutely deserved the awards you won, hands down. Just seeing your robot has inspired our students (and mentors) in SO many ways. It was worth everything we did to get to the regional just for that. The team can't stop talking about "the quintessential dumper." We would have LOVED to see you on Einstein.
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Brah Everyday
AKA: Matt Pearring
FRC #1378 (Hilo Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2011
darkMatt3r is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say it seemed like everyone was truly inspired at this years regional.

Personally i was moved by the growth of ALL of the teams in hawaii, not just a few, but all of them.

I'm sure we've all learned a lot and have a bunch of things to take into consideration in preparation for the upcoming VEX season, and later the FRC season.

I look forward to working with all of you in the coming months and years.

-Matt
  #54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:53 AM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
Yeah, it's tough getting it all together from over here too. We've had a really hard time this past year raising the funds we need... everyone is cutting back, our sponsors are cutting their workforces and just scraping to keep things together. In a way it was a relief (OK, bittersweet) that we didn't get a ticket to St. Louis. Sure, we would have loved it, but I don't know HOW we could have raised the bucks to get even a skeleton team there, at $1000 pp. just for the RT airfare. And when it costs so much, in TIME and energy as well as money, just to get to our closest regional, we always feel like we're running a few steps behind. We cut our budget by SO much this year and still had trouble getting it together. I wish I knew of some sources of grant money that would pay for travel costs, but those are pretty hard to find. And you can only keep hitting the same small community so many times before the money runs out. However, living on Kauai has other advantages, I gotta admit.

And we have a great, young team this year, and lots of ideas and inspiration for next year. And our first ever win of an elimination match! That was really inspiring. Thank you to our alliance partners 2459 and 1378 - even if our team was picked by accident, I think we all did pretty well!

Just curious - a question for the alliance captains, including those who ended up picked by other captains (359, 2443 come to mind) - were we (2465) on any of your picklists as a 3rd team, if we hadn't been picked first round?
Yes you guys were actually pretty high on our list because of the fact that you guys had a solid auto and could get the job well done. 3rd picks were very hard for us but we made a great choice with ipa
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:10 AM
FRC #2465 (Kauaibots)

Awww, shucks, you're too kind. Seriously, our team will be thrilled to hear that you even considered us! (And I had to tell my son, who programmed the autonomous... made his night.)

We were really happy to see IPA go the distance - their pit was next to ours and they were totally wonderful folks. I hope they can travel to champs - I know when we went in 2010 it was such a fantastic experience, to really see the "wide world" of FRC.
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2012, 01:52 AM
College...
FRC #2438 (`Iobotics)
Team Role: College Student

ThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to all

Hey everyone, Logan here! Just finally getting around to posting this now that I've finally pulled myself together after the post-FRC energy crash. Thank goodness for Prince Kuhio Day; I don't know what I would've had to go through to get myself through school on Monday after playing Rebound Rumble all weekend. Fun game, but the insane amounts of negotiation necessitated by the seeding rules had me running around the pit constantly. Thanks, everyone, for putting up with my constant check-ins! A particular thank you (and apology) go to the guys from Damien, who had to deal with tired-and-frustrated me on Saturday morning. I'm sorry for our misunderstanding and glad we were able to patch it over afterwards.

I'm happy to say that this was absolutely our best season ever by pretty much any metric you choose. We got the game strategy closer to correct than ever before, we had a complete scoring robot, we had an autonomous, we had more student involvement in design and fabrication than ever before, we captained an alliance, we had full CAD, and we won a really nifty award... all after the year in which we lost our driver and our administrative captain! All in all I was really happy with our performance.

I'd like to call attention to team 2090 for all of the help they provided us with pre-and-mid-tournament: loaning us a solenoid breakout for our practice robot, donating a motor for arm upgrades, and helping us out with scouting and strategy were all hugely appreciated. 2090, you guys inspire us every year, and anything we can do to help you out we will.

Of course, I would be remiss to not mention our awesome alliance partners 3008 and 2455. We were a great team, guys, and those elimination rounds were bundles of fun! Special congratulations to 3008 for winning the RCA.

Good job to all of the teams who are moving on from Hawaii to St. Louis. Have fun there--we'll be cheering for you from back home!

As for the future... unlike last year, when half the team graduated, we only have two seniors leaving this year: Michael, our Programming Captain, and Erin, our physicist and VEX Admin Captain. They will be sorely missed. However, we'll be looking forward to competing next year and hoping we can continue our five-year trend of improvement! Next year is the last year for myself, FRC Admin Captain and tournament coordinator Spencer, head scout Blake, and engineer extraordinaire Kyle, so we'll be looking to make a big splash next year--we're hoping to preregister for our first ever World Festival and maybe attend our first ever out-of-state regional.

We're going to be quite busy with offseason work this coming year. Unlike in previous seasons, when we've never really found the time to work in the offseason, we plan on working our tails off this year to be even better and more prepared for next season. If you're interested in working with us on some offseason build projects, shoot me a PM or an email at our team address frcteam2438@gmail.com.

Thanks for a great tournament and we'll see you at the next one!
  #57   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:21 PM
FRC #2445 (RoboKap)

Rookie Year: 2009
TerryS is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood359 View Post
Thank you Cool Geeks for the Webcast.
The elimination rounds are at:
http://www.justin.tv/coolgeeks_frc2348/b/312749058
The matches start at about 0:4:00.
The final match is at about 2:29:00
Yes, mahalo to the Cool Geeks for arranging the webcast. The JustinTV video seems to have been removed. Are the matches archived somewhere else now and if not will they be?
  #58   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryS View Post
Yes, mahalo to the Cool Geeks for arranging the webcast. The JustinTV video seems to have been removed. Are the matches archived somewhere else now and if not will they be?
Team 368 will be posting them on Youtube some time soon.

2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
  #59   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:33 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone shed some light on this ?

#60   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Ether,
we are not sure as well why its not posted.
We would want it posted since last I checked on Saturday, we had the most TP points (over 200 iirc) and 2nd in HP behind only 1056. 1056 was 2nd in TP also.

2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: