OCCRA
Go to Post I think their point was that this is FRC, we can't trust people not to do something stupid. - AriMB [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Electrical Engineer / Computer Geek
AKA: Eldarion Telcontar
no team (Teamless Orphan)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Eldarion Send a message via Yahoo to Eldarion
Green target has to "warm up"?

Has anyone else noticed that the green target has to "warm up" for about 2 minutes before reaching full brightness?

In its cold power-on state, the light is so dim the camera color ranges have to be opened up wide. Only problem is, when I do that it shows a newfound affinity for fluorescent lights, incandescent lights, etc.

Any ideas? Does anyone know if FIRST will allow the lights to warm up before a match?

Thanks

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.
If it's rampaging around destroying things it's a programming problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Parent/Mentor/Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra
FRC #0228 (GUS)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2003
skimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond reputeskimoose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Green target has to "warm up"?

This warm up period is common with cold cathodes and compact fluorescents, and full size fluorescents if its really cold.

2009 CT Regional Motorola Quality Award
2010 VRC Connecticut Championship Winners & Amaze Award
2010 VRC Championship Divisional Energy Award
2010 WPI Regional Winner
2010 WPI Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2011 WPI Regional Chairman's Award
2012 WPI Regional Finalists
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Former Lord of the Vex
AKA: George Marchant
FRC #0087 (Red Devils)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
GeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud ofGeorgeTheEng has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeTheEng

What defines a "cold-start" though? I would think that after FIRST turns them on in the morning and they run a little, they would be warm enough, with the possible exception of lunch, to be at full brightness during the match. Hmm, maybe they want to turn them both on at the end of the match during reset and next match setup to keep them warm.
Philadelphia Alliance Regional Corporate Advisory Board Member |
FRC and FTC volunteer at too many places to list (NJ, VA, DE, PA, NY, Championship)|

"Hi my name is George and I'm a FIRST-aholic. I've been a FIRST-aholic since 2000..."
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeTheEng
What defines a "cold-start" though? I would think that after FIRST turns them on in the morning and they run a little, they would be warm enough, with the possible exception of lunch, to be at full brightness during the match. Hmm, maybe they want to turn them both on at the end of the match during reset and next match setup to keep them warm.
Your alliance's center goal target light turns off when you are on defense.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
Robot? We need a robot?
no team

Rookie Year: 1234
devicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nicedevicenull is just really nice

I haven't noticed this at all.. I can go plug our camera and light in, after they have both sat off for a day, and the camera will find it no problem..

But they are going to be on for at least one match before anything starts, so it won't be a big problem (I figure they run at least one match all the way through without robots, to make sure everything works)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Programming & Electrical
FRC #0342 (Burning Magnetos)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbolin is a splendid one to beholdcbolin is a splendid one to beholdcbolin is a splendid one to beholdcbolin is a splendid one to beholdcbolin is a splendid one to beholdcbolin is a splendid one to beholdcbolin is a splendid one to behold

Tom,
I thought the alliance green light goes off when they are playing defense. Do you recall where that is stated? I have searched some forums and the rule pdf files...can't find it. I was using "green lights" for searching.

Thanks,
ChuckB
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 02:29 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)

Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute

Each driving team consists of two DRIVERs, a COACH, a HUMAN PLAYER, and a LAMP WARMER.

The LAMP WARMER -- Each ALLIANCE shall provide one person to serve as LAMP WARMER, chosen from among the pre-college student members of the three teams in the ALLIANCE. Each LAMP WARMER shall be equipped with a 150-foot 3-conductor extension cord (at least 12AWG copper cable per conductor), a 120VAC 1000 watt heat gun, and a 10-foot Type IA step ladder. The extension cord and the heat gun must be unmodified and UL listed. The step ladder may be of any construction as long as it is certified as Type IA, and is equipped with rubber or other nonskid feet. The LAMP WARMER will climb the step ladder to prewarm the 2006 Vision Target. The LAMP WARMER may choose to remain on the ladder during the match, or climb down.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 06:20 PM
ooh, what does this button do?
AKA: Kyle
FRC #1318 (the IRS (Issaquah Robotics Society))
Team Role: Coach

sciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud ofsciencenerd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick TYler
Each driving team consists of two DRIVERs, a COACH, a HUMAN PLAYER, and a LAMP WARMER.

The LAMP WARMER -- Each ALLIANCE shall provide one person to serve as LAMP WARMER, chosen from among the pre-college student members of the three teams in the ALLIANCE. Each LAMP WARMER shall be equipped with a 150-foot 3-conductor extension cord (at least 12AWG copper cable per conductor), a 120VAC 1000 watt heat gun, and a 10-foot Type IA step ladder. The extension cord and the heat gun must be unmodified and UL listed. The step ladder may be of any construction as long as it is certified as Type IA, and is equipped with rubber or other nonskid feet. The LAMP WARMER will climb the step ladder to prewarm the 2006 Vision Target. The LAMP WARMER may choose to remain on the ladder during the match, or climb down.
Heh, that's awsome! New custom title time!

So my question is, not being very familiar with the cold-cathodes, if you have it running for a while (long enough to warm up), turn it off, and then turn it on a couple minutes later, is it still warmed up? How long does the cool-down take? It seems that some people in this thread have been assuming it will stay warmed up, while others are assuming it won't. Can anyone enlighten me?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull
But they are going to be on for at least one match before anything starts, so it won't be a big problem (I figure they run at least one match all the way through without robots, to make sure everything works)
From experience (I worked field reset in '03, at the Championship), FIRST will run at least one and probably two matches (1 to check the E-stop, 1 to check a full match). The targets should be warmed up.

Oh, and the rule about lights off...There isn't one, except for this sentence in Section 3.2.3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Manual
...The vision system target will be illuminated when the Center Goal is “active” and available for scoring.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 06:30 PM
The sleepless
AKA: Rob Metzger
FRC #0007 (Team 007)
Team Role: Leadership

Vashts6583 is a name known to allVashts6583 is a name known to allVashts6583 is a name known to allVashts6583 is a name known to allVashts6583 is a name known to allVashts6583 is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Vashts6583 Send a message via AIM to Vashts6583 Send a message via MSN to Vashts6583 Send a message via Yahoo to Vashts6583

well, ours is just fine in my opinion. we cold start, camera finds, locks, then tracks. of course, i wired it to a 12v battery plug and didn't use a fuse or anything like that...just straight wiring....so yeah.
2007: President/Driver/Software Head/Temporary Safety Captain
*********************/

//2005: Chesapeake Regional - Finalist

Life is what you do outside of FIRST. No wonder it's so short.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 10:20 PM

Eldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond reputeEldarion has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicenull
I haven't noticed this at all.. I can go plug our camera and light in, after they have both sat off for a day, and the camera will find it no problem..

My problem is that when I open the color ranges up that far, the camera likes to see every other light source as well as the vision target. Only by narrowing the ranges down to the "warmed up" color can I eliminate that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencenerd
So my question is, not being very familiar with the cold-cathodes, if you have it running for a while (long enough to warm up), turn it off, and then turn it on a couple minutes later, is it still warmed up? How long does the cool-down take? It seems that some people in this thread have been assuming it will stay warmed up, while others are assuming it won't. Can anyone enlighten me?
They cool down relatively quickly, only needing approximately 1.5 minutes to cool down to the point that they are too dim to reliably track. If FIRST keeps them on in-between matches, there should be no problem.

And I like the lamp-warmer idea!

Want the FIRST Email blasts? See here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50809

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
-- Thomas Paine

If it's falling apart it's a mechanical problem. If it's spewing smoke it's a electrical problem.

"All technology is run on 'Magic Smoke' contained within the device. As everyone knows, whenever the magic smoke is released, the device ceases to function."
-- Anonymous

I currently speak: English, some German, Verilog, x86 and 8051 Assembler, C, C++, VB, VB.NET, ASP, PHP, HTML, UNIX and SQL
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Mentor
AKA: Scott Davis
FRC #1777 (Viking Robotics Club)

Windwarrior is an unknown quantity at this point

We have our light on a 120v to 12v conversion, using a landscape light adapter.

We noticed the warmup problem, and also noticed that a 12v direction was brighter. We attributed this to the landscape light transformer. Maybe its the lights themselves.

However, using the default setup have had no problems finding the green light and tracting movement, despite flourescent and incandesent lights trying to distract it.

WW.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-26-2006, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwarrior
We have our light on a 120v to 12v conversion, using a landscape light adapter.

We noticed the warmup problem, and also noticed that a 12v direction was brighter. We attributed this to the landscape light transformer. Maybe its the lights themselves.

However, using the default setup have had no problems finding the green light and tracting movement, despite flourescent and incandesent lights trying to distract it.

WW.
I wonder if the problem could be my power supply voltage. Would 11.3V (my supply) vs. a true 12V make that much of a difference?

-- Thomas Paine

-- Anonymous

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 09:00 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldarion
My problem is that when I open the color ranges up that far, the camera likes to see every other light source as well as the vision target. Only by narrowing the ranges down to the "warmed up" color can I eliminate that problem.
That's not a typical situation. In the YCrCb color space, the CMUCam is very good about tracking specific colors over a reasonably wide range of brightness. Are you sure you're not using the RGB color space?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson
That's not a typical situation. In the YCrCb color space, the CMUCam is very good about tracking specific colors over a reasonably wide range of brightness. Are you sure you're not using the RGB color space?
I'm in RGB. I can't believe I missed that!

Thanks!

-- Thomas Paine

-- Anonymous

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: