Go to Post Seriously, when I grow up (or if I grow up) I want to be just like Al. - Paul Copioli [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 08:44 AM
AKA: Andrew
FRC #4761 (The Robockets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
ASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud ofASD20 has much to be proud of
Re: What is the strangest issue with a robot you have ever seen?

During one of our matches this year, we were the victim of a excessively hard autonomous. While our drivers caught the driver station, the lid on the laptop shut causing it to go to sleep. We ended up needing the FTA to bring over a spare driver station. After that we made sure that we disabled sleep mode on the driver station.

#32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM
three on the scale
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

One team at one of our competitions had a very forceful appendage on a long swinging arm with a small point on the end, designed for drawbridge and stuff. It ended up swinging down directly onto the power cord of our radio, ripping the tape off and yanking it out. Fun.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 08:56 AM
RogueBotix LLC
VRC #8091

teslalab2 will become famous soon enoughteslalab2 will become famous soon enough

We ended up switching to C++ because in 2014 we were running labview, and its CPU would randomly max out then the robot would crash and you would have to cycle the power.

Run you CanJaguars on arduino with ArduRIO, you can also easily control Talons, Victors,Jaguars and Sparks on PWM. https://sourceforge.net/projects/ardurio/
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 09:00 AM
Passionate crackpot
AKA: Étienne Desbiens
FRC #5859 (i)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
EDesbiens is a name known to allEDesbiens is a name known to allEDesbiens is a name known to allEDesbiens is a name known to allEDesbiens is a name known to allEDesbiens is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by teslalab2 View Post
We ended up switching to C++ because in 2014 we were running labview, and its CPU would randomly max out then the robot would crash and you would have to cycle the power.
I had that too... Though if I clean my code it's fine.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 09:13 AM
RogueBotix LLC
VRC #8091

teslalab2 will become famous soon enoughteslalab2 will become famous soon enough

We had another programmer that knew labview and I told her she should let me try C++ and it fixed it. but yeah, Labview is the worst

Run you CanJaguars on arduino with ArduRIO, you can also easily control Talons, Victors,Jaguars and Sparks on PWM. https://sourceforge.net/projects/ardurio/
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM
Former Operator and Captain
AKA: Andy
FRC #3314 (Mechanical Mustangs)
Team Role: Alumni

ShinyShips is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollien View Post
Sounds like a combination of loose power cables on the Rio and on the radio. Seems a bit excessive to replace the Rio...
It may have been loose cables, but that was the first thing I checked when we got back to the pit. They all seemed fine. When we asked the FTA if he had any idea what happened, he didn't know. Better safe than sorry, really no harm in putting in a fresh rio after a season of 120+ matches.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 04:03 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
2016, SCRRF Spring Scrimmage. 4276 goes just about 100% on finding the portcullis in autonomous. They were aiming for the rock wall, which happened to be next to it. They did eventually get that mostly worked out... but it did crop up about once an event after that.

I've also heard of an E-stopped robot continuing to wander slowly across the field. (This was over 10 years ago.) Seems the batteries were surface charging, and the controller had enough voltage to drive the motors--slowly--but not enough to read an E-stop signal from the radio.
In the original firmware for the 2007 modem there was a bug that could cause robots to "hold last value" and not see the E-Stop. We had modified the AM Shifters of the time to include a 3rd higher gear, and were testing them out on the shop floor of the vocational school we worked in. We had noticed some weird behavior, but we were just playing around and most of the driving was being done by students without much practice so we kept playing around.

There was a nice long straight away, with the auto workshop at the far end. We were zooming down the straight away when the driver noticed the robot wasn't responding... he hit the E-Stop about halfway down the straightaway, and the robot didn't stop. It continued until the top of the electronics board collided with the undercarriage of a truck in the auto workshop a few seconds later. The universe definitely conspired against us on this one, as the Victors on the electronics board were exactly at the right height to be "the impact zone", and since it was our prototyping electronics board we had 10 Victors on that board -- all of which were destroyed.

Last edited by Ian Curtis : 07-11-2016 at 04:05 PM.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone remember the story of Harlem_Shake.vi?
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 09:05 PM
AKA: Daniel
FRC #0810 (Mechanical Bulls)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
dmelcer9 is an unknown quantity at this point

So last year, our lifting mechanism for the totes kept twitching up and down. This would happen whenever the bot was enabled, even when the controller wasn't connected. We calibrated the motor controller, but that didn't fix it. We went through the lifter code line by line and there was nothing there that could have caused the twitching. To this day, we still don't know what caused the twitching, but it doesn't matter because we cannibalized the control system for our 2016 bot .
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM
Mentor
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan View Post
Does anyone remember the story of Harlem_Shake.vi?
Not when it happened, but I have read about it through highlight posts. Two words: Price Less.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Reversible bumpers are my trigger
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Mechanical

mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

We've semi consistently had issues with motors "jerking" while the robot disabled with no one touching the driver station. I've been told it's impossible but it has happened multiple times on multiple robots.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2016, 10:13 AM
AKA: Charlie
FRC #2607 (Robovikings)

ceb515 is an unknown quantity at this point

In the build season of 2015, I had an interesting issue. We were testing an idea for a 6 wheel mecannum drive. It worked at first and then another programmer wanted to add PID loops. Lets just say when the RIO rebooted it ran full speed over my laptop. To this day my trusty laptop has some of its battle scars. (The screen and trackpad needed to be replaced, the frame of the laptop remains with gouges out of the aluminium.)

2015 - MAR Championship 3rd Place, Qualified for CMP
Blue Banners: 2010 Philadelphia Reigonal, 2014 Virginia Reigonal, 2015 Hatboro-Horsham, 2015 Upper Darby, 2017 Hatboro-Horsham

2017 Seneca Semifinalists, Mid Atlantic Championship Semifinalists, Tesla Division Semifinalists

Electrical Lead, Programmer, Designer, Pneumatics, Prototyping, All-Out-Geek

#43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Driver, Mechanic, I See Fire!!
AKA: Brittany
FRC #5679 (Girls on Fire)

Rookie Year: 2015
Nightwing430 is an unknown quantity at this point

For 2015 we were testing out our Auto and something happened and our robot started spazzing out and kept spinning around in circles, this only happened once and we don't know what really happened. Also with the same robot, sometimes when the arm mechanism is closed it starts twitching so we called it "hugging" now everytime it starts to twitch everyone says that all the robot wants is a hug.
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2016, 05:33 PM
I live my life 2:30 at a time!
FRC #0166 (Chop Shop)

Connor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond reputeConnor McBride has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: What is the strangest issue with a robot you have ever seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShips View Post
At BattleCry@WPI this year we were in the finals (Thanks 166!) against 195, 2791, and 501. Finals match 2, everything was fine until about 30 seconds into the match when we drove over the rock wall. Comms and robot code dropped, comms came back, but we were stuck without robot code for the rest of the match which sadly led to our defeat. RSL was solid I believe. After the match, we checked our 5v rail and it was fine and once we power cycled the problem was resolved.

Needless to say, we replaced our rio for IRI.
YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

Youtube Channel Team Page Facebook Page
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Robot captain
AKA: TheSpoon
FRC #5549 (Gryphon Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
SpoonMechanic is an unknown quantity at this point

That time the e-stop completely malfunctioned and a robot broke out in auto to terrify the front row. The robot uprising has begun.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: