Go to Post Hmmm I think I hear phones ringing. Panic calls to the Rules committee to figure out how to close THAT loophole, which you could drive a truck through. Have you considered a career in Law? - ChrisH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari
As the season approaches...

As the season approaches to us, I would like to remind everyone on the forum again about the newbies . As always we will have new members here who will try to learn things and may post same thing twice, please be polite and let them know how to use the search feature on the site (even if it takes one personal message). The reason I am reminding you this is because I have been there at one point of time when I didnít know the rules myself, made a lot of mistakes and have had mentors/engineers/college students/members of the site pm me, send me messages about the mistakes. I didnít take them as a personal attack, rather took it as a lesson. That is the reason I am still a part of the community. Once a rookie or a newbie is upset about something, it is very hard to bring them back here. I am going to use an example here, Mike Sorrenti from Sie-H20-bots (team 237); a high school freshman is a great programmer. He programmed that robot like nothing, and we all know about it. He has shown us what a smart freshman can do in one season. We want the members to stick around, learn, and get inspired. Because this is the generation that will be controlling the community and FIRST soon as well as teach the next generation and inspire them.

With that being said, I welcome everyone to join me to help/inspire the newbies here on the forum throughout the season. Thanks.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:39 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain
Re: As the season approaches...

Good point. I know I have been guilty of saying "SEARCH BEFORE YOU POST" directly many times. And I know some of you have too. But we need to take a step back and refrain from saying such things. Tolerance is tough but it's an art for success. Since it benefits you also, do what Arefin said.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Robots are friends
AKA: tagger fanatic
FRC #1345 (Platinum Dragons); FRC# 97 (RoboRuminants)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
nehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond reputenehalita has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nehalita Send a message via MSN to nehalita Send a message via Yahoo to nehalita

What these two men say above is true. Our attitude reflects our community and we cannot come across as a welcome community without the welcoming attitude.

To the rookies: I still consider myself as a rookie so I want you to know that I still go through what you all go through. There's a lot to learn here and make sure you get a chance to look at some of these threads, especially the stickies. Many of us here are MORE than happy to talk to you about anything you might want to know. Don't feel intimidated, we don't bite =).

Proud Member of H.I.L.
The PLATINUM DRAGONS are on FIRE!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Robots!
AKA: Ara Kourchians
FRC #0589 (Falkōn)
Team Role: Mentor

Arkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to beholdArkorobotics is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Arkorobotics

Talk about bad experiences... I defiantly agree with this, people were not so nice when I first joined, but after a while I caught on. I just think it would be nice if can show the newbies how great ChiefDelphi really is.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Penn State Class of 2010!
AKA: Steve
FRC #1640 (sab-BOT-age)

Rookie Year: 2005
coastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nicecoastertux is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to coastertux

I totally agree! I was a noobie last year and I was warmly welcomed. I am ready to give something back to the community and show this year's noobies and show them how great ChiefDelphi really is.
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvellous structure of reality." ~Albert Einstein
DHSE '06, PSU '10 (Eberly College of Science - Chemistry)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2005, 03:30 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Best way to welcome new users...don't call them n00b, newb, etc.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2005, 04:53 AM
Retired
no team

Jack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond reputeJack Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory
I've said this before, and I'll say it again.

Best way to welcome new users...don't call them n00b, newb, etc.
Newb, or not newb: that is the question?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Xcats- "My Strength"
AKA: The Tank
FRC #0494 (Martians)
Team Role: Animator

ClintDog will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ClintDog

Good call

Xfire= Clintdog
Aim= Clintlight27
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
OSNAP. a gear flew out of the robot
no team
Team Role: College Student

wilshire is just really nicewilshire is just really nicewilshire is just really nicewilshire is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to wilshire

We also need to remember to refrain from going for that rep button right off the bat. I know I got the blunt end of this last year when I first joined.
Luckily I'm a quick learner. Like Arefin said before a nice polite pm is always a positive way to showing the new user what he or she may have done wrong. I know I definitely appreciated the people that PMed me instead of giving me bad rep.
So with that being said:
Welcome to Chiefdelphi forums new users

Purdue FIRST Teams
Team 461 -http://www.boilerinvasion.org/
Team 1646 - http://www.precisionguessworks.org/
Team 1747 - www.harrisonboilerrobotics.org
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
The Damian
no team

Damian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud ofDamian Manda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Damian Manda

This is exactly what needs to happen. Our team eliminated the language of rookie/newbie vs. veteran from our communication due to the negative connotation it seemed to carry for new members. The best way to keep people enjoying the FIRST program is to help them and make them feel included, not differentiate certain people into categories. We were all once in the same position, and I remember I was sometimes hesitant to post just because I though someone might catch me on reposting something or asking an easy to answer question. Thanks for posting this reminder Arefin.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: