Go to Post Brainstorming and creativity are great, but you do actually have to build the ideas you come up with sometime. - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Unsung FIRST Heroes
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:10 AM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
UFH: Jessica Jankowitsch

Thread created automatically to discuss UFH Honoree: Jessica Jankowitsch.

Name: Jessica Jankowitsch
Date Honored: 12-15-2008
Years involved w/FIRST: 8
FIRST Team(s): Amplifier-Research/BAE Systems/Lutron Electronics, Inc/Pathology Group of Doylestown/Glen Magnetics/Harro Hoflinger/Day Tool/LRIG/Custom Finishers/Hot Chalk/Beckman Coulter &, Palisades High School (0103), Robotics Engineering Excellence/The Future is Mine/The Heinz Endowments &, McKeesport Area Technology Center (1708), FIRST / Other (0000)
Role: Team member, Team mentor, Event Judge, Regional planning committee member, Volenteer Coordinator, Senior mentor Pittsburgh.
Quote: Let your heart guide you…it whispers, so listen closely – Little Foot’s Mom: The Land Before Time
Bio: Jess Jank, as she is known to many in FIRST, is a dynamic mentor. Her reach has been felt through many different facets of the program from the different events she has been involved to the many teams she has helped throughout the years.

Jess started as a member on team 103 (Cybersonics), and attributes some of her motivation to keep going because of her involvement in helping them win the Championship Chairman's Award. Seeing the growth she had achieved within the program gave her the strong desire to make a larger impact by spreading the message of FIRST to other students.

As a college student at Carnegie Mellon University, she became involved with the Pittsburgh regional committee and has served as the Volunteer Coordinator for the last two years. Continuing with her pursuit to give back as much as possible she has recently become a Senor Mentor for the Pittsburgh area, helping to facilitate growth and development in the area.

When asked how she explains FIRST to someone who isn't involved she said “Whenever I start talking to someone new to FIRST – a potential sponsor, mentor, or student member - the definition I often supply is that it’s multifaceted robotics competition that provides unique experiences and opportunities to students in hopes of inspiring them to recognize the importance of science, technology, and other real world domains… but in reality it is much more than that. It is about meeting and collaborating with other people who share your passions, and exciting those around you to make an impact on their community and develop bright, promising futures.”

With her extensive experience we asked her to give some advice for people looking to get involved. She replied “Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions; this is a program where people who have been involved know the ins and outs and love to tell their stories. Go to as many events as possible to see how things function and meet other teams. You won’t understand all that goes on until you get to an event and witness the amazing things the students accomplish and the sheer amount of energy and enthusiasm. You will realize that this is far more then sitting down and building a robot with your team. Make sure that you learn from the people around you because they have a great wealth of knowledge and experience to share.”

One of Jess’s favorite FIRST memories during her first year as an official member and regional key volunteer. Jess explained that at the Pittsburgh Regional, she was thrown into the position of Pit Administration Supervisor despite no experience in that area. “Being in that role not only gave me fantastic volunteer experience, but provided me the advantage of a front row view into all the interactions of the teams in the pits,” she said. “Nearing the end of the qualification rounds, the team I had been working with received substantial damage to their robot, making it unlikely that they’d be selected by an alliance. However, due to their seeded position, they ended up being the team the would be selected as a back up should the need have arisen. People from so many different teams came together to help get the robot fixed, pouring their hearts into making that happen. The robot ended up not being needed, but to see just how determined they were even though it would have no bearing on them was truly stirring. It’s that sort of instance that demonstrates how truly special FIRST is.”

At the conclusion of our interview she added that “FIRST has been my life for the past 8 years. It is difficult to explain where I would be without FIRST. I have come to know so many individuals who are incredible role models and who have pushed and motivated me to achieve my greatest potential. I have had the opportunity to gain tremendous life skills that I will be able to continue to utilize to give back and make an impact on my community. And the people involved with this program have become my absolute closest of friends despite how little time we actually see each other during the year. There’s a special connection you make with those who are involved. I have grown up in FIRST and I am who I am today because of FIRST.”

Woodie Flowers proclaimed Jess “as a serious challenge to the energizer bunny” and for that energy and effort we congratulate Jess for being our next Unsung FIRST Hero!

Nominated By: Bharat Nain

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 11-12-2013 at 07:54 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:11 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UFH: Jessica Jankowitsch

Woot!

Let me be the first to congratulate you on CD!

Btw..was there no essay? I always love reading them

edit: nvm its there now.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['16-'16]: Floating Mentor FRC 228
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP (OG)

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 12-15-2008 at 06:20 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 02:41 AM
AKA: Ari
FRC #0108 (SigmaC@T)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Arefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond reputeArefin Bari has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Arefin Bari Send a message via AIM to Arefin Bari Send a message via MSN to Arefin Bari Send a message via Yahoo to Arefin Bari

There aren't enough words that can express Jess's contribution to the FIRST community.

Congratulations Jess.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:10 AM
it's kinda fun to do the impossible
FRC #0375 (The Robotic Plague)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2004
Sam Cat has a spectacular aura aboutSam Cat has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Sam Cat

Wow Jess - Congrats! You completely deserve this :-)

You've done an amazing job helping the teams and giving life to FIRST Pittsburgh. In the short time I've been working with you, I've been amazed at just how much time (not to mention soul, blood, seat, tears, etc.) you dedicate to the FIRST community.

I'm so happy for you. This is extremely well-deserved :-)

Delphi Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award - Championship 2007
National Safety Animation Award 2007
GM Industrial Design Award - Pittsburgh Regional 2007
Xerox Creativity Award (2x) - New York Regional 2007, Pittsburgh Regional 2007
Finalist - New York Regional 2007, New Jersey Regional 2006
Innovation in Control Award (2x) - New Jersey Regional 2007, New York Regional 2006
Autodesk Visualization Award (2x) - New York Regional 2007, New York Regional 2006
Regional Chairmanís Award - New York Regional 2006
Winner (3x) - New York Regional 2006, New York Regional 2005, New Jersey Regional 2005
Regional Woodie Flowers Award - New York Regional 2006
Motorola Quality Award - New York Regional 2005
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 03:28 AM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick

Yay Jess! I love you much! <3
Here's to those days when we were high school kids gabbing in 103's pit.
And here's to many more times shared together as FSMs and beyond!

Congratulations!!

Houston userbars are here, Detroit still to come!

1089 Mentor & Alum | 2018 MAR Championship Finalists
2015 Archimedes Champions | 2015 Einstein Semi-Finalists
2014 & 2016 MAR Championship Finalists | 2014 Bridgewater District Finalists | 2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2011 NJ Regional Finalists
2014 & 2015 Excellence in Engineering Award | 2014 Xerox Creativity Award | 2016 & 2017 Innovation in Control Award
2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 05:21 AM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Jess is always on the FIRST Senior Mentor teleconferences, offering advice, stepping up to volunteer when we ask, and is a great contributor. Congratulations on this well-deserved honor!

www.firstinspires.org | www.nefirst.org | www.firstnemo.org

Helping mentors since 2004
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 06:12 AM
It isnt about bots,its about humans
AKA: Liron Gurvitz
FRC #3211 (The Y Team)

Rookie Year: 2006
Tottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond reputeTottanka has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Jess, but i am sure this is very well deserved, and am very happy to see young, ex First team members following up this path and becoming important parts of the organization and of influecing kids towards Science and Technology.

Congratulations!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 07:06 AM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond reputeBharat Nain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bharat Nain Send a message via MSN to Bharat Nain

For someone with such a big heart, incredible work ethic and intense passion, this is well deserved. Congratulations. Congratulations. Congratulations. It is quite an honor to call you "mom", "energizer bunny", and "best friend". FIRST is lucky to have you so enjoy your 15 days of well-deserved fame and recognition.

Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Coach Drew?!?!
AKA: Drew Disbury
FRC #1251 (TechTigers)

techtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond reputetechtiger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to techtiger1

Jessica its about time the whole FIRST community got to hear about you, your one of its well kept secrets. I don't have enough words to express "Jess" as we know her. She is a person always working to better herself, the community of FIRST and helping out others. Congratulations to a very deserving UFH winner.

-Drew
2006 Palmetto Regional Winner
2007 Orlando Regional Winner
2008 Orlando Regional Winner
2010 Orlando Regional Winner
2013 South Florida Regional Winner
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:07 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Multi-tasking extraordinaire!
A shiny example of a FIRST alumna who has stayed involved; in fact, has gotten even more involved.
How she does all she does AND is able to keep up with her university studies is beyond my tired mind.
You go girl. You are a gem.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862

Last edited by RoboMom : 12-15-2008 at 11:02 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Greg Needel's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
REVving up for a new season
FRC #2848 (ALLSPARKS)
Team Role: Engineer

Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Jess! It seems like so long ago when we met at IRI and you have done so much for this program. This honor is much deserved.

Just watch out for those boys bathrooms
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:14 AM
Robot/STEM troublemaker since 2001
no team (Formerly 103 & 1712. Now run U.P. Robotics (other programs))

Rookie Year: 2001
Rich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond reputeRich Kressly has a reputation beyond repute

I could write way too much here.
Congrats Jess ... very, very well deserved
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely awesome choice! Congratulations Jess, you certainly deserve it.

-dave

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191

Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute

This picture say more about Jess than a million words could. She is the uber-multitasker. Just think where the Pittsburgh regional would be without Jess.
Congrats Ma (and make sure everybody's off the field before starting a match ;P).
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

Jessjank has been a tremendous asset to the Pittsburgh region, and I've been very fortunate to call her both a friend and colleague. Congratulations.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: