OCCRA
Go to Post We believe that the message of FIRST should be spreadable, just like butter - Karibou [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2017, 07:30 PM
F4.Network
AKA: F4
no team

Rookie Year: 2016
F4 Network is a glorious beacon of lightF4 Network is a glorious beacon of lightF4 Network is a glorious beacon of lightF4 Network is a glorious beacon of lightF4 Network is a glorious beacon of light
F4 - 3rd Bi-Annual CADathon

Hello everyone,

I am pleased to announce F4 will be hosting our third CADathon from August 3rd at 8 PM EST - August 6th at 6 PM EST. The live show with a brand new panel of judges will be streamed on August 7th at 8pm EST in partnership with FUN!

Watch Live: https://www.twitch.tv/firstupdatesnow There will be a giveaway during the show for those who watch live!

For those unaware, a CADathon is like a hackathon but with CAD. People/teams are given a short period of time to CAD a specific thing (in this case a robot) ending with a panel of judges selecting a winner. If you would like more information on the CADathon check out our first and second CADathons as well as our second CADathons live show.

As for what will go on in ours:
Participants will be split into teams of 2. Teams can be premade with people who know each other or participants can enter by themselves and be assigned a random partner. Partners will be assigned by skill level along with the prerequisite of sharing a common CAD suite. We will try to make sure partners are in the same time zone but that will be more difficult. From there, teams will be put in individual google hangouts groups where they can discuss and collaborate. The teams have approximately 3 days to CAD a robot from the game reveal. The game reveal will include a CAD model of the field, a short video explaining the game, and a game manual. When they are done, teams must create a high quality render of their robot and send the F4 crew a link to their robot uploaded in its entirety on Grabcad. Teams will also submit a google forms “pit scouting document” which will help explain their design to the judges. If teams do not submit both a render and a Grabcad link by 6pm est on August 3rd, they will be disqualified. Once done, the files will be inspected to make sure they adhere to the game rules. At 6 PM EST on August 5th, a special F4 CADathon show will go live. First, each team will come on and explain their robots to the audience. Then, a panel of 3 special guest judges will judge each robot on set categories explained in the game manual. The judges will then figure out how many points the robot can potentially score off of a quantitative scoring system. The winner will then be determined based on all of those factors.

The only prerequisites to join are that you are willing to spend time doing it and that you have access to some CAD software. You can be any age (this is not limited to students) and we encourage everyone from newbies to the most advanced CADers to put their skills to the test. If you are new to CAD and would like to be on a larger team to help yourself learn, please contact us as these will be handled on a case to case basis. If you are interested please sign up at the link below. Sign Ups close on July 30rd at Midnight but please sign up as soon as you decide to participate.

https://goo.gl/forms/fxBrPczfE1YET8vH3

If you are interested in being a judge for the show apply here.

https://goo.gl/forms/pyhKlH3ISFvesyNv2

Good Luck!

- The F4 CADathon GDC

Last edited by Tyler Olds : 08-04-2017 at 01:08 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2017, 07:54 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant future
Re: F4 - 3rd Bi-Annual CADathon

Just sent in the form as randomized, but cause Onshape there's a decent chance I'm working alone. If someone does want to work together shoot me a pm and we'll talk about it. Also if someone has any experience rendering in Onshape (Onerender seems to be a thing but idk how/if it works) let me know, cause I should probably take care of this "high quality render" before spending 3 days on this project. I have a mac (school required) so that makes things more complicated...

"Once you've decided that it isn't a code problem, isn't a mechanical problem, and isn't an electrical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong"
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Design Lead
FRC #1360 (Orbit Robotics)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2012
Brian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud ofBrian M has much to be proud of

Hmm I'd like to signup, I hope July 30rd hasn't passed yet

Jk Sign me up!

If anyone would like to partner with me who uses Solidworks, please PM me!

Last edited by Brian M : 07-25-2017 at 08:17 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Gone NE
AKA: Nicholas Dal Porto
FRC #5940 (B.R.E.A.D.)
Team Role: Student

frcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond reputefrcguy has a reputation beyond repute

TL;DR: I'm looking for two partners! Read below for details.

So, as stated above I'm looking for two partners (so basically an already formed team). I'm working as a course observer at Stanford University during the day so I can't really put as much time into a partnership to make it fair for both of us. So, the F4 people organizing the event have given me the approval to work with another group, making it three people. I'm decent at Solidworks and pretty much flexible in the evening, and because you still have two people having me on your team is only a plus .

So, if you're interested send a PM my way!

Team 5940: 2015-

Volunteer: 4000 () miles and counting!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Captain | Driver | Junior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2015
dirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
Hmm I'd like to signup, I hope July 30rd hasn't passed yet
lol, ya we just reused the exact same post from the previous CADathon's and just changed the dates and times on it

Thanks to all our alliance partners this year!:
16 | 3310 | 2183 | 4063 | 2992 | 2183 | 3039 | 3337
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2017, 10:36 PM
AKA: Erik Yngstrom
FRC #1768

FrisbeeFunTime will become famous soon enoughFrisbeeFunTime will become famous soon enough

I notice that both this time and last time it was said that teams would come on and explain their designs to the audience. This however didn't appear to happen last time, at least on the archived live stream, will this occur this year and if so how would this likely to down. Also would this be a substitute to the written explanations used last time?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 10:48 AM
FRC #2702 (Rebels)
Team Role: College Student

Nessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant future

I wish this happened on a weekend.

I am a Solidworks noob and work full time but would love to be an "observer"* on a team.(So like a third member of a team or something.)

*Observe and maybe help out with some simple drawings here and there.

Last edited by Nessie : 07-26-2017 at 10:51 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 10:51 AM
FF: The Lunch Company
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: CAD

niklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to beholdniklas674 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFunTime View Post
I notice that both this time and last time it was said that teams would come on and explain their designs to the audience. This however didn't appear to happen last time, at least on the archived live stream, will this occur this year and if so how would this likely to down. Also would this be a substitute to the written explanations used last time?
I can’t speak for the second one but we came on during the first one and explained the design.

My views do not represent the views of my team
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 11:17 AM
Professional Multitasker
AKA: Samuel Perkowsky
no team

Rookie Year: 2014
Sperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeFunTime View Post
We will be doing the same thing as last CADathon where teams just submit a "pit scouting" sheet for the judges and show hosts to use.

Team 2869 Captain/Driver 2014-2017
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 11:38 AM
Love/Hate Relationship with Swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Midnight EDT on the 1st would be 11PM on the 31st CDT, correct? Just confirming that you mean the first minute of the 1st and not the last.

And by the way we are in daylight savings time not standard time right now. Because apparently the summer is when we need to save daylight...

2016: Northern Lights Regional Semifinalist (4/60) (Programming Lead, Operator)
2017: 10,000 Lakes Regional Dean's List Finalist (13/63) (Captain, Programming Lead, Driver)
2018: ??? (???)
2019: ??? (???)

Last edited by pkrishna3082 : 07-26-2017 at 11:44 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 11:53 AM
Professional Multitasker
AKA: Samuel Perkowsky
no team

Rookie Year: 2014
Sperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Midnight EDT on the 1st would be 11PM on the 31st CDT, correct? Just confirming that you mean the first minute of the 1st and not the last.

And by the way we are in daylight savings time not standard time right now. Because apparently the summer is when we need to save daylight...
Correct.

Team 2869 Captain/Driver 2014-2017
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Love/Hate Relationship with Swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sperkowsky View Post
Correct.
Sweet. I have signed up along with 3082's mechanical lead.

2016: Northern Lights Regional Semifinalist (4/60) (Programming Lead, Operator)
2017: 10,000 Lakes Regional Dean's List Finalist (13/63) (Captain, Programming Lead, Driver)
2018: ??? (???)
2019: ??? (???)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Director of Programs, GOFIRST
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FTC #9205 (The Iron Maidens)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Signed up, if there's anyone else using Creo looking for a team, DM me.

I should add that I also work, so I'm really only available after 6 or so each night.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
'Snow Problem CAD Files: 2015 2016
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16)
VEXU UMN (2015-??)
Volunteer since 2011
2013 RCA Winner (North Star Regional) (2220)
2016 Connect Award Winner (North Super Regional and World Championship) (9205)

Last edited by cadandcookies : 07-26-2017 at 03:09 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Alumnus
AKA: Bryce Croucher
FRC #2471 (Team Mean Machine)

Rookie Year: 2007
Bryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud ofBryce2471 has much to be proud of

I would love to participate, but I have work during the event and I'm out of town for the live show. Good luck to those competing!
FRC Team Mean Machine
2012 Seattle: Winning alliance
2013 Portland: Winning alliance
2013 Spokane: Winning alliance
2014 Wilsonville: Winning alliance
2014 Worlds: Deans List Winner
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-26-2017, 03:50 PM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

It's really too bad this is in the middle of a week and not a weekend - I think you'd get a lot more participation on a weekend. Not saying I'd necessarily do it, but weekday events are a nonstarter for me and I'd at least consider drawing something for a weekend.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: