OCCRA
Go to Post Ha, our 2009 robot's nickname was Sparky, for the same reason...we now have EXTRA fire extinguishers because of it ;P - Karibou [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 12:04 AM
FRC #0156 (RPM - Robotics Plus Mayhem)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
Crabcakes5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Butterfly Drive Train with 2 Pneumatics?

Hello,

I was looking around at butterfly drive trains, and everyone that I see uses 4 pneumatics. Is it at all possible to do the same thing with 2 slightly larger pneumatics? I was thinking to set them vertical in between the modules to translate force downward onto a bar which turns both modules at the same time on each side. Thanks!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 12:13 AM
no team

Californiacoach is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Butterfly Drive Train with 2 Pneumatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabcakes5 View Post
Hello,

I was looking around at butterfly drive trains, and everyone that I see uses 4 pneumatics. Is it at all possible to do the same thing with 2 slightly larger pneumatics? I was thinking to set them vertical in between the modules to translate force downward onto a bar which turns both modules at the same time on each side. Thanks!
I have seen it done with two before. One way you could do it is if you had a piston with a 10" stroke, you could build a rack n pinion type of actuator and extend the pneumatic long enough to actuate both of the pods on one side simultaneously. Another option would be to 3D Print or CNC Laser Cut an actuator that would combine the force a single pneumatic and thrust out the 2 pods per side. It does get tricky if you have more than 2 motions though. If you do it in a way that you would have it engage 4 mecanum wheels on one actuation and then 4 standard performance wheels on another actuation that would be fine. If you wanted to ever engage all 8 wheels at once though you would have to make that the starting position and then actuate the command after you start the robot up. Then you can convert to an 8 wheel drive. Let me know if you have any more questions.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 12:20 AM
Registered Muser
FRC #4462 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2013
Cothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond reputeCothron Theiss has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Butterfly Drive Train with 2 Pneumatics?

Certainly viable, but I see several reasons why teams dedicate one cylinder per module. For one thing, the mechanical linkage you described would not be as simple as you think. To have an even, consistent force applied to two different modules at the same time is not as easy a task as it first appears. Also, teams often utilise the space between wheel modules on each side. Having a mechanism in there to connect the modules takes up some of that precious space. Also, the suspension provided by individual cylinders can be very beneficial for weight distribution and for consistent movement.

But if using connected wheel modules fits your design requirements better, go for it!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 12:34 AM
Baseball hat kid
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (Milkenknights)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

Like you *could*, but why? There are some very simple modules out there (versadrop plz) if you did want to go that route, and the bigger actuators would likely be more weight consuming and design time intensive, as well as potentially less functional as Corthon mentioned. With a bit of smarts you can also wire all 4 actuators to the same solenoid so the actuations are perfectly in sync.

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 05:18 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Check out 1086 basically any year they used octocanum (2017, 2014, 2013). It's hard to see from the top, but from underneath you can see there is only one cylinder on each side.

https://scontent.ftlv1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...cf&oe=5A24ED76
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Former Design and CAD Captain 1086
AKA: Alexander Kaplan
FRC #0401 (Copperhead Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Electronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond reputeElectronica1 has a reputation beyond repute

The trick with using one cylinder per side is you want to limit the size of the stroke as much as possible and just get bimba to add an extension for any additional length you need. The way 1086's modules are structured, you actually end up with a smaller, more compact system with one cylinder running between the modules than two individual cylinders.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 08:08 AM
AKA: Chris Bale
FRC #5712 (Gray Matter)

Rookie Year: 2004
cbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond reputecbale2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like the bigger issue here isn't the mechanics of getting it to work but the available pressure of the pneumatics. Remember that the pneumatic cylinders are effectively supporting the weight of the entire robot when deployed, so you would need a cylinder with a larger bore if you go to just 2 cylinders. You may find such pneumatic cylinders may be larger and more expensive than you expect.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronica1 View Post
The trick with using one cylinder per side is you want to limit the size of the stroke as much as possible and just get bimba to add an extension for any additional length you need. The way 1086's modules are structured, you actually end up with a smaller, more compact system with one cylinder running between the modules than two individual cylinders.
You don't need Bimba to make extensions for you at all. There's nothing magic about what attaches to a cylinder! You can easily make your own structure to do this.

One example would be 488's geometry in 2011, if you dig in this thread here you can see the example. You don't want to have the piston push straight down as proposed in this thread - you ideally want a geometry such that the weight of the robot doesn't as easily cause the piston to deflect
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: