OCCRA
Go to Post If all you've seen of an event is the three days of the competition, you've missed 99% of the work that made it happen. - Madison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Andrew Lawrence

Re: Most Recognizable Teams

I gotta agree with tubatroopa. anyone can spot 254's pieces of art in any competition. Not only do their robots look cool, but their pits are amazing! It's like the people from Pimp my Pit came and had it professionally done.

Aside from them, another very noticeable team that hasn't been named yet is team 692, the Fembots. 233 aren't the only people in pink, and you can't go through SVR without seeing their pink uniforms and magnificent robots!
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

To me, the teams that everyone recognizes are the teams who pick a theme... and shove it down our throats until we can't possibly forget it.

Yes, PINK and MOE have that down pat. PINK, of course, has the color pink EVERYWHERE. On their shirts, their robot, their wigs. They shove pink down our throats until we can't help but associate that color with them. In the stands, the pits or the field, you see a mass of pink, you can't help but know that 233 is coming up.

It's the same principal with MOE and Wildstang, with the Neon Green and Tie-Dye. You see lime green, you're looking at either MOE or Thunderchickens. You see that mass of tie-dye, you're looking at Wildstang.

Another way to make your team recognizable is through sheer robot performance and imagery. I know, if I see a black and red robot, with red light coming out of it somewhere, I'm looking at a Robowrangler robot. Royal Blue? Cheesy Poofs. Honeycomb designs? Killer Bees.

The point is, to be recognizable, what you're looking for is a theme you can put into everything you do. The Killer Bees have been brought up. They take that "Bee" theme, and they put it in their cheers. Their robot. Their costumes.
What you need to do, is be able to build an association with your gimmick so strong, you could remove all references to a team name and number from a shirt and robot, and be able to still recognize whose team it is. Memorable logos help to.

If you're looking for examples, I know I could look at the following teams without their numbers or names, and recognize their robot or shirt:
33, 111, 148, 188, 191, 217, 233, 234, 254, 330, 340, 341, 359, 469, 781, 1114, 1503, 1511, 1625...
Well, the list goes on and on. All these teams either have a color, a logo, or a specific style that I will always be able to look at from the top of the bleachers and say "Oh, that's xxxx".

Hope this helps.

Work hard, play hard. And maybe someday...
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Andrew Lawrence

Leeland pretty much summed it up. Good job!
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubatroopa View Post
Team 254 has a nice blue robot with the signature transformers logo every year.
Autobots take umbrage with this statement.

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com

Last edited by Travis Hoffman : 10-03-2011 at 04:47 PM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

To me 47 and 65 will always be among the most recognizable teams for me.

47 had been rocking the orange as long as I can remember and their mascot always sticks with me. Course, that might have been because I saw so much of it on CD....

65 was the original black, red, white camo pants. To this day when I see black/red/white camo I think, "65 is here?"

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Travis Hoffman's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
O-H
FRC #0048 (Delphi E.L.I.T.E.)

Rookie Year: 2001
Travis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond reputeTravis Hoffman has a reputation beyond repute

Locally, the Girard RoboCats of Team 379 are very recognizable with their bright red shirts. They are also usually one of the more spirited teams in the venue.

CIA Team 291's orange button-down shirts also stand out.

Travis Hoffman, Enginerd, FRC Team 48 Delphi E.L.I.T.E.
Encouraging Learning in Technology and Engineering - www.delphielite.com
2017 Miami Valley Regional Champions w/ 2451 & 4085
2017 Smoky Mountains Regional Champions w/ 744 & 3140
NEOFRA - Northeast Ohio FIRST Robotics Alliance - www.neofra.com
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:08 PM
AKA: Adam Van Boekel
FRC #5934 (Crowbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
avanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared341 View Post
MOE and Pink are, for my money, the most recognizable teams in FIRST.
I think that 111 also falls into that category. Their team colors are always incorporated into their bot and spirit-wear very well. It's hard to miss!
2015 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award Winner
2015 Archimedes Subdivision Winner (1023, 2338, 3996, 1089)
2016 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award Winner
4096 CTRL-Z | Mentor 2014 | team4096.org
5934 Crowbotics | Mentor 2016-Present | crowbotics.org
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Gavin Wood
FRC #1939 (The Kuhnigits)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
holygrail is a name known to allholygrail is a name known to allholygrail is a name known to allholygrail is a name known to allholygrail is a name known to allholygrail is a name known to all

I find that it is a combination of theme and also having a great robot. At the Kansas City Regional, I always take notice of SWAT - Team 1806 because they dress up in SWAT team uniforms which is both cool and intimidating. Also, Team Driven (1730) - Great Pit and robot, Titanium (1986) Great logo with the eyes and consistently good robot, also I see kids wearing their shirts all over town, Liberty Robotics (1764) - Great Pit and very nice uniforms, and Ravonics Revolution (1710) - Very spirited and they have a cool boombox that they play while we are all waiting to get into the event that gets everyone psyched.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Broke a hundred!
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

What Leeland1126 said.

But yes, having a relatively successful team helps, if nothing else than by appearing at more venues (e.g., CMP). I know several teams that have a great and unique team theme, carried for years, and makes you think of them whenever you see them...but they've only ever appeared at NJ, so even teams in Philly (under an hour south) wouldn't "recognize" them.

So, like many things in life, it is a combination of a brand and awareness.

*All comments are mine and do not represent my place of employment*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: