OCCRA
Go to Post Sweeeetttt.....Thats all that needs to be said. :D - george56 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM
AKA: Jacob Overla
FRC #4004
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
the man is on a distinguished road
Driver's Stations

Hey guys and girls. I was curious about driver stations. How has your team approached them? Pictures are much appreciated.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

MattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura aboutMattC9 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Driver's Stations

We have had many iterations of our drive station, 2009-2010 a piece of ply wood painted blue and gold with the 2009 control system/ the 2010 classmate siting on a smoked piece of lexan. (sorry no pics) Last year (2011) we used just a piece of lexan, didn't work out to well. Right now we are coming up with a new one!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Andrew Lawrence

From what we've learned, a good driver station should have the following things:

1) Be light. Not fun waiting in line holding a 20 pound driver station.
2) A place for the PC, controllers, etc. Clean, and evenly spaced out.
3. A place where the wires can be organized. (Messy wires are a pain in the chassis)
4) A place where all input and output wires can be easily accessible.
5. Preferably have the controls bolted down if possible, or a place for controls to be set.

Overall, something that can be set up quickly, with little to no hassle.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
FRC #0539 (Titans)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
DavisC is just really niceDavisC is just really niceDavisC is just really niceDavisC is just really nice

Previous to me on the team, they made an elevated platform from an old KOP.
But this year we just simply used a peice of plywood with velcro to hold the joysticks and zip ties to reduce the wire clutter. This wasn't that great because when we sat it down the wires always ended underneath and we had to pull them out.

Things I've learned,
-definately secure your joysticks or other light parts
-elevated surface is nice for carrying and placement (make sure the legs fit on the provided space)
-if you can secure the wires down or contain them, that helps
-and pls, pls, pls do not make one that is a disaster every time it has to get moved: Several times I have seen teams make a whole folding mechanism that folds into a box for carrying but it took forever for someone to do it and wires would always dangle out and have to be crammed in; so both alliances would be all ready at their DS while one team was still waited for the team from the previous match to get out of the way
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
A Real Mechanical Engineer
AKA: Jake Potter
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Ninja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond reputeNinja_Bait has a reputation beyond repute

We make a new one each year for some inane reason but my favorite one was just a plywood frame with a sheet of red-painted regolith. Then we placed two long strips of velcro on it like racing stripes and attached everything to those.

Light, modular, and as neat as we needed it to be.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Mentor (1114), Alumni (772)
AKA: Aaron Koscielski
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

How does everyone secure the laptop to the driver station. Last year we just had it sitting there and could have easily fell off. I dont want that again.
Team 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

Dean's List Finalist 2013 Waterloo Regional
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Andrew Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoscielski3 View Post
How does everyone secure the laptop to the driver station. Last year we just had it sitting there and could have easily fell off. I dont want that again.
Zip ties? Duct tape?

Duck tape?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

akoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond reputeakoscielski3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think zipties is the way i will go lmao. I dont think the programmers will want duct tape on their brand new laptop... I was thinking of Velcro but then there would be Velcro on the bottom of the laptop forever.
Team 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM
2017 World Champions
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)

Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think zipties is the way i will go lmao. I dont think the programmers will want duct tape on their brand new laptop... I was thinking of Velcro but then there would be Velcro on the bottom of the laptop forever.
We use Velcro.

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2014 girlPOWER, 2015 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2016 Mt. Olive MAR District, 2016 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2017 Daly Subdivision, 2017 St. Louis World Championship, 2017 MidKnight Mayhem, 2017 Festival of Champions

2017 Season Recap Video
Festival of Champions Recap Video

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:16 PM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallry View Post
We use Velcro.
Do you leave the Velcro on after The season? If so does it get annoying? and if you take it off isnt there sticky stuff left on the bottom of the laptop?
Team 772 Sabre Bytes
2010-2013

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
45 Alumni
AKA: Peyton Yeung
FRC #0461 (Westside Boiler Invasion)

Peyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond reputePeyton Yeung has a reputation beyond repute

We have made lexan buckles that hold the laptop down. The joysticks are also held down with lexan. The buckles screw into a plywood DS. For the past two years we made ours into a fold up box with a handle. We are pretty fast about getting in and out. It is a little heavy but in our next iteration we plan on adding back pack straps.

2017 Tippy Quarter Finalist, St. Joe Semi finalist

2016 Tippy Quarter Finalist, Warren Finalist, IN State Semi Finalist,B^3 Double Finalist
2015 Indy Semi finalist, Purdue Quarter Finalist, IN State Quarter Finalist, CORI QF, R2OC Finalist, RAGE Winner
2014 Boilermaker Semi finalist, Crossroads Quarter Finalist, & CAGE Quarter Finalist
45 Technokats
2013 Boilermaker Quarter finalist
2012 CAGE Semi finalist & Queen City Champion
2011 CAGE Quarter finalist & Midwest Semi finalist
2010 CAGE Quarter finalist, Boilermaker Champion, & Washington DC Quarter Finalist
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

In the pre-2010 years, 1126 had a big driver station: a long sheet of diamond plate, on which sat the sensitive electronics, with a plate of some transparent material (I'm almost positive it was lexan, but it was a while ago and I was never really involved in that stuff. On that sat the controllers and everything else.

Well, after several generations of operators (who were charged with carrying that monstrosity and setting it up) hating it, we upgraded. In 2010, our driver station consists of three sheets of lexan hinged together, so it can be folded up. We had a strap connected both ends, so the operator can carry it on his/her shoulder. The joysticks were velcroed(?) to the end panels, with the center panel having sort of a "pedestal", on which sat the classmate with velcro to secure it, and underneath were all the connectors.

2011 brought yet another iteration: affectionately known as the "Box of Wonder". Because we made the jump to PS2 controllers this year, but didn't need as much space. Our drive station consisted of a box with a flip-out lid held shut by a caraveener when not in use. The box had strips of velcro inside of it to hold the controllers when not in use, as well are large strips to hold the Classmate. Again, we had a shoulder strap for ease of carrying. We've been very happy with this iteration.

That's pretty much our drive station history for the last few years.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you need to know anything else!
-Leeland

Work hard, play hard. And maybe someday...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM
AKA: Jacob Overla
FRC #4004
Team Role: Mechanical

the man is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. We made one in 2010 that was a sheet of lexan or plexiglass with 1inch square tubing around all sides the wires fit nicely underneath. The classmate was velcroed on and there was velcro on the bottom of the station.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:36 PM
AKA: Adam Van Boekel
FRC #5934 (Crowbotics)

avanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant futureavanboekel has a brilliant future

Everything on our driver station (laptop and joysticks) are held down with Velcro. It works out well for us
2015 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award Winner
2015 Archimedes Subdivision Winner (1023, 2338, 3996, 1089)
2016 Midwest Regional Chairman's Award Winner
4096 CTRL-Z | Mentor 2014 | team4096.org
5934 Crowbotics | Mentor 2016-Present | crowbotics.org
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:39 PM
2017 World Champions
AKA: Ryan Hall
FRC #1676 (Pascack Pi-oneers)

Hallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond reputeHallry has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you leave the Velcro on after The season? If so does it get annoying? and if you take it off isnt there sticky stuff left on the bottom of the laptop?
I'm not certain, but I believe we keep the velcro on the laptop all year (or on the laptop safety case that it's in when we use it).

Won: 2010 New Jersey Regional, 2010 Virginia Regional (undefeated), 2011 New Jersey Regional, 2011 Virginia Regional, 2011 Brunswick Eruption, 2012 Rutgers MAR District, 2012 girlPOWER, 2012 Ramp Riot, 2013 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2014 girlPOWER, 2015 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2016 Mt. Olive MAR District, 2016 Bridgewater-Raritan MAR District, 2017 Daly Subdivision, 2017 St. Louis World Championship, 2017 MidKnight Mayhem, 2017 Festival of Champions

2017 Season Recap Video
Festival of Champions Recap Video

Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: