OCCRA
Go to Post As a student on an FRC team, I didn't know what to say when other people said, "High school students didn't build those robots by themselves!" but now I just say "That's the point!". :) - Ian Curtis [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Producer at The RoboSportsNetwork
AKA: Matt Starke
FRC #0174 (Arctic Warriors); (Alumni: 340 (GRR), 1126 (SparX))
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2003
Starke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond reputeStarke has a reputation beyond repute
What is the Best Robot of all Time?

Even though it is the off-season, I still can not stop thinking about robotics. I was thinking about what I thought was the best robot of all time. I still can come up with a clear answer. Does anyone have their idea of the best robot of all time? Meaning the best robot that has ever been seen in FIRST? A picture and an explanation of the robot will be helpful.

Team 340 | G.R.R. | Alumni/Mentor | 2003-2007, 2010
Team 1126 | SparX | Engineer | 2008-2009
Team 174 | Arctic Warriors | Advisor | 2012 - Present
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 12:18 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez
Re: What is the Best Robot of all Time?

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ght=best+robot
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ght=best+robot
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 12:38 PM
Proto-Engineer
AKA: Bjorn Westergard
FRC #1418 (Vae Victus)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
phrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond reputephrontist has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to phrontist

I've seen a few of these "Best Bot of All Time!" threads now, and I just don't get it. I'm aware that those of a technical persuasion have a penchant for quantifying/sorting their world, but honestly, I think these questions are meaningless. Believe it or not, there is a competition each year to rate these robots, and all the stats are on line! Want to compare bots from different years? Too bad, they've got different parameters, and therefore any comparison would be arbitrary. Is that a bad thing? Not inherently, but I have a strong suspicion this thread will quickly be a wasteful rehashing of past "popularity contests".

Oh, 1418's bot this year is definately the best of all time, followed closely by last years bot. Yeah. No question.

University of Kentucky - Radio Free Lexington

"I would rather have a really big success or a really spectacular crash and failure then live out the warm eventual death of mediocrity" - Dean Kamen
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Mentor / Bayou & CMP Division LRI
FRC #0456 (Siege Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

ChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrontist
I have a strong suspicion this thread will quickly be a wasteful rehashing of past "popularity contests".
I agree so would it be considered hijacking this tread if I suggest that we open the discussion to robots in general? What robots in the history of robots from TV bots to space bots to manufacturing bots to lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners do you think are the best or worst and why? Do manufacturing robots take peoples jobs or do they build higher quality products faster and more cost effectively? Do robotic vacuum cleaners take the drudgery out of daily living or do the make us lazy? (For that matter do they actually work?) What do you consider a robot? This may have been beaten to death on CD before but technology advances and opinions change and I don't remember seeing a thread like this so I'll start.

My vote right now would have to go to the Mars Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity. Why? I guess because they are superbly designed and built machines that keep going and going and going and were built solely for the quest of knowledge. I am also simply amazed by the autonomous programming of the Deep Impact spacecraft so I will have to give them a close second. I would consider them robots for sure!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

DeepWater has a point. Why limit yourself to FIRST robots? There are many other robots out there. If you have a car, robots were used to put it together. If you see a picture of Mars, that's one of Dave Lavery's toys (or his other car ). There are robotic vacuums and lawn mowers. And of course, there are FIRST robots, but those aren't nearly as complex as any one of the robots mentioned above. And with all those choices, I can't decide which is the best!

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm parking robot yacht club.
FRC #4991 (Robot Yacht Club)

Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Ok heres an idea

-Best Robot in a Movie: R2-D2
Can't go wrong with Artoo
-Best Scientific Robot: Mars Landers, I like Opportunity in Particular
-Best Consumer Robot: Roomba
-Best Military Robot: Predator, it was revolutionary thats why i like it
-Most Human Like Robot: Too many to call
-Best FIRST Robot: One the Makes it to Competition

Last edited by Conor Ryan : 07-06-2005 at 08:11 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 08:12 PM
well........
AKA: Just Julie!
FRC #0538

JulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to allJulieB is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to JulieB

All robots are the Best and are created equal in some way.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 08:29 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB
All robots are .... created equal in some way.
Yeah, they all weigh 120 (formerly 130) lbs.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr1122334455
Ok heres an idea

-Best Robot in a Movie: R2-D2
Can't go wrong with Artoo
-Best Scientific Robot: Mars Landers, I like Opportunity in Particular
-Best Consumer Robot: Roomba
-Best Military Robot: Predator, it was revolutionary thats why i like it
-Most Human Like Robot: Too many to call
-Best FIRST Robot: One the Makes it to Competition
i agree i agree... good choices
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 10:10 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWater
What robots in the history of robots from TV bots to space bots to manufacturing bots to lawn mowers and vacuum cleaners do you think are the best or worst and why? Do manufacturing robots take peoples jobs or do they build higher quality products faster and more cost effectively? Do robotic vacuum cleaners take the drudgery out of daily living or do the make us lazy?
If the question is redefined as above, then you may find some interesting answers in the Robot Hall Of Fame.

-dave
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Mentor / Bayou & CMP Division LRI
FRC #0456 (Siege Robotics)

ChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond reputeChuckDickerson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery
If the question is redefined as above, then you may find some interesting answers in the Robot Hall Of Fame.

-dave
Thank you for the link. I found it interesting that a large number of the robots in the Robot Hall of Fame and the current list of 2005 nominees are actually science fiction robots. I didn't find Spirit and Opportunity in the list of 2005 nominees so I took the liberty of submitting their nomination. I also noticed Wildstang was on the list.

So may I be so bold as to ask what robot (science or science fiction) most impresses the great Dave Lavery?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2005, 09:52 AM
CourtneyB

theres no such thing as the best robot...cuz every robot is the best
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm right here
AKA: sparksandtabs
FRC #0340 (GRR)
Team Role: Mechanical

John Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant futureJohn Gutmann has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to John Gutmann Send a message via MSN to John Gutmann Send a message via Yahoo to John Gutmann

IT IS NOT IN FIRST BUT I THINK THE BET ROBOT EVER IS CALL ASIMO AND IS MADE BY HONDA, IT TRUELY TAKES MY BREATH AWAY...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Wake Up Get Up Get Out There
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

111 in 2003 and 254 in 2005 blew my MIND. Those two I will never forget....
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2005, 11:58 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephM
111 in 2003 and 254 in 2005 blew my MIND. Those two I will never forget....
Gotta agree with that. the combo of StangPS and the wings gave Stang most of the bins before anyone got near the top, and virtually guarenteed them a spot on top the ramp at the end of the match.

254 2005 and 2004 are two of my top robots, but I'm not sure which one to put at the top. 2005 was absolutely awesome at what it did, and was basically the same as 2004's, but refined and with fewer functions. 2004 did everything, and did it really well, which I think makes it all around a better robot even though 2005 performed better.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: