OCCRA
Go to Post Yes, good job being calm and asking about the validity of a rumor before fanning the flames and assuming the conspiracy must be true. - Greg McKaskle [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
  #106   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2018, 09:19 AM
FRC #4829 (Titanium Tigers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2015
Strategic will become famous soon enough
Re: 2019 Game Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL1505 View Post
Instead of having a "low-gravity" field like Lunacy, how about a zero-gravity field? Instead of using slippery plastic, we'll just play on ice!
You joke about this, but we actually had a game on ice this year in one of our NC Regionals (Forsyth County). The event was held at the Winston-Salem fairgrounds on the rink for the local hockey team. Everything was setup on top on the rink floor (field and pits), so technically, we played in ice, though with a couple of layers of flooring on top, to be sure.

The joke around the pits was that we finally had a water game!
  #107   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
Deep space s that which is outside of the solar system. so I suspect will be more about interstellar mechanics and action.

Everything about launching, orbiting, landing and rovers seems to be covered by the other FIRST franchises.
It might be a combination of all this. The theme is destination deep space, so I think the preparation rather than the actual travel is what's going to be the focus. Perhaps an orbital insertion of some kind for autonomous, then a teleop phase where the robots collect various parts to construct an interstellar ship, then a final docking phase for endgame, but with an individual ramp/chute dock for each bot instead of climbing.

This opens up all kinds of possibilities for new challenges, especially in the teleop period. The suggestion of plastic nuts (or, even better, bolts) might be a good one, and you could add other very differently-shaped parts as well, like struts and panels. You could have several different actions needing to be performed by a manipulator arm; grasping, screwing or rotary motion, linking by pins or sockets, sliding into place, etc. It would be a very different game from recent years, where we've seen some actions repeated a bit, and fit nicely with the space theme in ways that relate to real space-based construction (something that Boeing might well like as the sponsor.)

That's my initial take on it, though like most of this it's probably wrong.
  #108   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2018, 10:18 AM
AKA: Steve
FRC #6843 (Guardian Gears)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Waz will become famous soon enoughWaz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBKahouna View Post
Deep space s that which is outside of the solar system. so I suspect will be more about interstellar mechanics and action.
While there is no universally agreed definition of deep space, all the definitions I am familiar with actually include most of the solar system. This is reflected in the way NASA defines deep space and categorizes it missions.

Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_D...ork#Deep_space) you will find a few differing but not too different definitions of deep space. And here (https://www.nasa.gov/johnson/exploration/deep-space) is a roadmap of sorts for manned missions in deep space.

Combining those two, we can see that deep space is a bit of an evolving term but in most of our life times will mean anything beyond the Earth/Moon system.

It appears to me that the FLL Jr, FLL, and FTC themes are contained within the Earth/Moon system (FTC could be Mars rovers). That leaves the rest of the solar system (and beyond) available for the FRC theme. The possibilities just within the solar system are immense and could be a lot of fun.

Lets not limit our wildly inaccurate speculations to things outside the solar system. Anyone up for a 1x4x9 black monolith in the middle of the field?

Steve
  #109   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-24-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz View Post
Lets not limit our wildly inaccurate speculations to things outside the solar system. Anyone up for a 1x4x9 black monolith in the middle of the field?

Steve
So we'll have to pull modules from a computer's memory core during teleop and the endgame will be opening the pod bay doors?

I like it!
  #110   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2018, 12:40 PM
Strategy and Systems Engineering
AKA: Ronald (Ron) Houde
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Rookie Year: 2018
TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglrcng View Post
Hey...Some of us had those black lights, glow in the dark posters, wore white "T" shirts so we could actually see and track who we were talking to, and listened to really groovy music man. Don't knock it till you have tried it.
I HAVE! What you describe was basically my bedroom in 1973-75!

Quote:
It would be really groovy to have Destination Deep Space in that kind of environment that actually mimics deep space. And, you would hardly even notice those white and other colored stars applied to the field perimeter when the bright lights were on, but just before blast off, and the lights go down, and the black lights come on....Wow....It's Groovy in space man!
I second the motion!

Quote:
Now, can we please get some Hendrix and Led Zepplin approved before the season starts. Ground Control To Major Tom......Take your protein pills and put your helmet onnn.... Ok, at least we will have that.....every 4th song played as far as I'm concerned.
OK, let's start the Destination: Deep Space unofficial playlist:
  • Elton John - Rocket Man
  • Adam Ant - Apollo 9
  • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, The Great Gig in the Sky
  • Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
  • Richard Strauss - Also sprach Zarathustra, op.30 (Opening theme of 2001: A Space Odyssey) This should be the opening to each FRC competition day, IMHO

What else?

Last edited by TBKahouna : 05-26-2018 at 12:43 PM.
  #111   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2018, 12:44 PM
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

TBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura aboutTBKahouna has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
So we'll have to pull modules from a computer's memory core during teleop and the endgame will be opening the pod bay doors?

I like it!
Me too!
  #112   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2018, 12:49 PM
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz View Post
While there is no universally agreed definition of deep space, all the definitions I am familiar with actually include most of the solar system. This is reflected in the way NASA defines deep space and categorizes it missions.

Here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_D...ork#Deep_space) you will find a few differing but not too different definitions of deep space. And here (https://www.nasa.gov/johnson/exploration/deep-space) is a roadmap of sorts for manned missions in deep space.

Combining those two, we can see that deep space is a bit of an evolving term but in most of our life times will mean anything beyond the Earth/Moon system.

It appears to me that the FLL Jr, FLL, and FTC themes are contained within the Earth/Moon system (FTC could be Mars rovers). That leaves the rest of the solar system (and beyond) available for the FRC theme. The possibilities just within the solar system are immense and could be a lot of fun.
I can live with that...
  #113   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-26-2018, 12:55 PM
FRC #3986 (Express-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategic View Post

I like it!
And just how many pod bay doors can you count on the USSC Discovery One Command Module? Like... one for each alliance bot! Perfect Destination: Deep Space endgame in the making!
  #114   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 11:36 AM
FRC #2502

Whatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond repute

2019 besides being the 50th anniversary of the moon landing is the 35th anniversary of the movie "The Last Starfighter". It's not one of the most heralded sci-fi movies but it was groundbreaking in terms of it's use of CGI. As far as space movies go, it is one of the few that is set in deep space versus jumping from planet to planet.

For those unfamiliar with the movie, the basic plot is this teenager (Alex) beats a video game on Earth and it turns out to be a test by the Star League to find a human that is capable of becoming a star fighter to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada. The Alex initial refuses to join but after a traitor shuts down the shield resulting in attack that kills all the other star fighters, Alex returns in a last ditch effort to stop the armada with his navigator Grig.

So here is the crazy idea.....
Game play is 2v4 - one side is defending and the other is attacking. The goals of the red and blue alliance are different within the match. In quals the schedule equalizes the times on defense or attacking (so 9 or 12 matches at all event). In eliminations, it is still the top 8 teams but first a captain picks "attack" or "defend" then selects a team. The alliances on attack only are involved in the 3rd and 4th round of the draft. At the end of the draft there are 4 alliances on attack and 4 on defend. Eliminations is a round robin of 16 matches.

After the round robin the top attack alliance and defend alliance do a best of 3 to determine a final winner.

Net elimination is 18 or 19 matches (currently 14 to 21).
  #115   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 02:26 PM
RIP Bag
FRC #5727 (REaCH Omegabytes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Tomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
So here is the crazy idea.....
Game play is 2v4 - one side is defending and the other is attacking. The goals of the red and blue alliance are different within the match. In quals the schedule equalizes the times on defense or attacking (so 9 or 12 matches at all event). In eliminations, it is still the top 8 teams but first a captain picks "attack" or "defend" then selects a team. The alliances on attack only are involved in the 3rd and 4th round of the draft. At the end of the draft there are 4 alliances on attack and 4 on defend. Eliminations is a round robin of 16 matches.

After the round robin the top attack alliance and defend alliance do a best of 3 to determine a final winner.

Net elimination is 18 or 19 matches (currently 14 to 21).
couldn't this make finals the best alliance vs. the fifth best alliance?
and how would district points work for the playoffs?

(not that Minnesota would have to worry about DP issue)
  #116   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 02:51 PM
FRC #2502

Whatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond reputeWhatever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomithy View Post
couldn't this make finals the best alliance vs. the fifth best alliance?
and how would district points work for the playoffs?

(not that Minnesota would have to worry about DP issue)
Yes - you could run into a the scenario where one side sweeps the other side and get a 0-4 alliance in the finals. We already can have the best alliance versus fifth best alliance in the finals but it's not as obvious.

MN does use DP for their state tournament so we do get to worry about it.
For district points just remove the "advancing alliance" part in the round robin and give 5 points for winning an elimination round match. Currently there are 210 DP awarded in eliminations. This scheme would be 180 to 360 depending on how many atches the 4 or 2 team alliances won.

To be honest I was just kind of throwing the idea out there because I thought of "The Last Starfighter" and it seemed like the only way to make a game around the movie. If anything, Power Up showed that the game doesn't really need to look like anything the theme would imply.

BTW - I didn't realize a reboot of "The Last Starfighter" was actually recently announced when I wrote the first post.
  #117   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 04:23 PM
RIP Bag
FRC #5727 (REaCH Omegabytes)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Tomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud ofTomithy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever View Post
Yes - you could run into a the scenario where one side sweeps the other side and get a 0-4 alliance in the finals. We already can have the best alliance versus fifth best alliance in the finals but it's not as obvious.

MN does use DP for their state tournament so we do get to worry about it.
For district points just remove the "advancing alliance" part in the round robin and give 5 points for winning an elimination round match. Currently there are 210 DP awarded in eliminations. This scheme would be 180 to 360 depending on how many atches the 4 or 2 team alliances won.
That method for DP seems doable. And nice point about the possibility of the fifth best alliance in the finals under the current system. I hadn't ever thought of the before.

I think the 2019 game is clear now: a 4v2 water game played on Regolith
  #118   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 05:40 PM
FRC #6860 (Equitum Robotics)
Team Role: Tactician

Batrex is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as it's not recycle rush or lunacy I think we are good.
  #119   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-05-2018, 06:08 PM
FRC #2262 (Robo-Panthers)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2017
SaltisVonWaltis will become famous soon enoughSaltisVonWaltis will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batrex View Post
As long as it's not recycle rush or lunacy I think we are good.
2003 says "Hi" as well.
  #120   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2018, 09:17 AM
FRC #5464 (Bluejacket Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2017
JerryTheStatGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

To the 2019 first robotics competition in this year's game destination deep space two alliances of three teams each are down by a meteor shower and their spaceship is broken in order to get off the planet robots must clear up Boulders into high or low goals collect spare parts and put them inside the robot and finally climb aboard a rung.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: