OCCRA
Go to Post hmm..."give the gift of ChiefDelphi"? "This holiday season, send some Pontiac cheer to someone you love"? "Don't forget to put The Chief under your tree!" The possibilities are endless. - Jessica Boucher [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Kit & Additional Hardware
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2018, 08:47 AM
Head Coach | Lead Mentor
FRC #5686 (Wirecats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interesting AM14U2 and AM14U3 upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by risho900 View Post
Instead of having threads in the wood like you described, would it be ok if we used self tapping/drilling screws to attach the bumper?
I don't recommend this if I understand your question. You want to drill into the bumper backing each time?

If you don't want to insert threads into the bumpers, use L brackets that are attached to the bumper and then the L brackets are bolted to your chassis.

['18-'xx]: Lead Mentor FRC 5686 (formerly FRC 1059)
['17-'17]: Mentor FRC 2170
['13-'14]: Floating Mentor FRC 11/FRC 2495
['11-'13]: Founding Mentor FRC 3929 - 2012 World Championship Rookie Inspiration Award
['07-'10]: Student/Captain FRC 11 - MORT
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2018, 09:20 AM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
I don't recommend this if I understand your question. You want to drill into the bumper backing each time?

If you don't want to insert threads into the bumpers, use L brackets that are attached to the bumper and then the L brackets are bolted to your chassis.
+1
We've been doing that for years and I cant imagine having to reattach through the wood each time we wanted to mount our bumpers.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2018, 10:37 AM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
+1
We've been doing that for years and I cant imagine having to reattach through the wood each time we wanted to mount our bumpers.
+2.

Please don't attach your bumpers using only wood screws. They will come off.

I have sometimes been one of those grey-haired inspectors informing a team that their bumper attachment method is not secure enough. The most recent incarnation of the robot rule I have in mind is R30-G (2018):
Quote:
G. must attach to the FRAME PERIMETER of the ROBOT with a rigid fastening system to form a tight, robust connection to the main structure/frame (e.g. not attached with hook-and-loop, tape, or tie-wraps). The attachment system must be designed to withstand vigorous game play
Generally, my spiel goes like this: "I could pass your bumpers now, but if they come off during a match, which is likely if your robot takes a modest hit, then two things bad things might happen. The first is that your robot will be disabled per G07 (2018), causing your alliance to become weaker and perhaps lose the match. The second is that a referee will order a re-inspection before your robot is allowed to compete again, and in that case your inspector will require more robust bumper attachment. My advice is to get it done now."

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)

Last edited by Richard Wallace : 10-08-2018 at 10:47 AM.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Instead of having threads in the wood like you described, would it be ok if we used self tapping/drilling screws to attach the bumper?
I can't imagine any circumstance I'd be sanguine with self-tapping screws being removed and replaced to mount bumpers. You don't want each removal/replacement of the bumper to actively threaten your fastening system.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 10-08-2018 at 08:40 PM.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2018, 09:27 PM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
risho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to allrisho900 is a name known to all

Sorry sorry, I meant use self tapping screws to attach the bracket to the bumper and then when we take off or remove bumpers, its the bracket that gets unscrewed from drive base, not the tapping screws.
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-08-2018, 10:59 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Type has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud ofType has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sorry sorry, I meant use self tapping screws to attach the bracket to the bumper and then when we take off or remove bumpers, its the bracket that gets unscrewed from drive base, not the tapping screws.
My team always uses t-nuts and typically flathead screws to attach our brackets to the wood. Since we are never removing the brackets from the bumper, we dont have any issues with the t nuts getting messed up.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Somebody Else
no team

GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Some self-tapping screws are really designed for metal and some will damage wood more than is necessary to enter the screw. Also, there are no threads on about 1/4" of their length; I wouldn't recommend these for either of these reasons. Drywall/deck thread screws work pretty well, though I'd try to find some which present a flat face (rather than a fluted face) against the bracket. And whatever screws you use, don't overtighten.

Single-use T-nuts should work OK. I seem to recall a team which used 1/4" carriage bolts (head on the noodle side) to good effect.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.

Last edited by GeeTwo : 10-09-2018 at 11:13 AM.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-09-2018, 02:28 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

We've been using these wood screws for attaching angle to bumper backing.

We have also used them to attach brackets that reinforce the corners of our wrap-around one-piece bumpers.

since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 07:39 PM
FRC #3688 (Norsemen Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Bill Klein is a jewel in the roughBill Klein is a jewel in the roughBill Klein is a jewel in the roughBill Klein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
We've been using these wood screws for attaching angle to bumper backing.

We have also used them to attach brackets that reinforce the corners of our wrap-around one-piece bumpers.
I was under the understanding that you could only use aluminum to reinforce the bumper corners. Did I interpret the rule incorrectly?

#40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-10-2018, 07:56 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Klein View Post
I was under the understanding that you could only use aluminum to reinforce the bumper corners. Did I interpret the rule incorrectly?
Good catch, you're right. R30-F requires those brackets to be aluminum. R30-B also requires that they not extend more than 1" beyond the frame perimeter. I don't think we found a COTS aluminum part to match the common steel one that I linked earlier, so IIRC we had to make them.

since 2003

#41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-19-2018, 09:33 PM
AKA: Amogh C
FRC #1807 (Redbird Robotics)

Thatscoutingguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone experimented with VexPro 3 CIM Dog Shifter on the KOP? I'm aware that VexPro has a guide to installing the ball shifter on the kit of parts chassis, but nothing regarding interfacing the 3 CIM Dog Shifter. Interested to hear how people dealt with the different mounting holes on the gearbox and KOP plate and any other concerns with using this gearbox on the KOP chassis.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2018, 11:54 PM
Somebody Else
no team

Here's the power point I plan to use tomorrow for the presentation (literally - I'm going to download from this post to do the presentation). I also have a bunch of hands-on pieces parts, including a KoP chassis robot that I mostly assembled yesterday by myself. I had already cut the chassis frame members, but the square deal parts and the belts were delivered at 11:30 yesterday, and I was driving it at 2100 (9pm), using AndyMark's Quick and Dirty control system. My goal with this was simple - to make the smallest robot I could from the KoP chassis that included an FRC-legal battery stowed inside the chassis similar to the 14U battery tray. This robot is 15.3" long and 16" wide (before "minor protrusions"). I expect that I'll do an update afterward, with photos and notes from the workshop.

OBTW - the original powerpoint brief includes speaker notes on some slides. I'll figure out how to add them someday soon.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bayou-Workshop-2018-KoP-Chassis.pdf (297.3 KB, 104 views)

Last edited by GeeTwo : 10-26-2018 at 11:59 PM.
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2018, 04:11 AM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good!
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Electron Tamer
AKA: Ken Pontbriant
FRC #0230 (Gaelhawks)

Rookie Year: 2012
electroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the roughelectroken is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type View Post
My team always uses t-nuts and typically flathead screws to attach our brackets to the wood. Since we are never removing the brackets from the bumper, we dont have any issues with the t nuts getting messed up.
This is exactly how we've done it for many years.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2018, 10:15 PM
Mentor
FRC #3103 (Iron Plaid)

Rookie Year: 2009
philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
Here's the power point I plan to use tomorrow for the presentation ...

OBTW - the original powerpoint brief includes speaker notes on some slides. I'll figure out how to add them someday soon.
This is great, Gus. Thanks for putting it together and making it available.

Have you been able to replace the motors by accessing the mounting screws through the holes in the outer plate? Would the 10-32's drop into the gearbox?

When you print the PowerPoint slides, the print dialog box will open. In PowerPoint 2007, there is a menu box in lower left quadrant that says "Print what:" with a default of "slides". Select "Notes Pages" in that menu then print.

If you are doing a "Save As", select "pdf". This opens the "Options" dialog box. Under "Publish what" on the left side, select "Notes pages" then "OK".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: