OCCRA
Go to Post There's more elegant ways to play defense than beating on the other robot. - Bill Moore [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > CAD
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 08:54 PM
AKA: Paul Braun
FRC #4362 (GEMS)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
ChopinWood will become famous soon enoughChopinWood will become famous soon enough
Re: One CAD to rule them all

Fusion 360 for reasons previously mentioned.
Cloud based means students & mentors can work anywhere, any time... including when you have 4 snow days within 10 days from kickoff.
Low hardware requirements means old school computers or students laptops will work. Easy licensing. If students currently don't know CAD, they'll learn joints easily.

Also, what your mentor knows is likely the best one, unless you have a motivated, experienced student CAD leader that will commit to training others the platform they know.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM
CAD, Design & Graphics Support
AKA: Team supporter and enthusiast
FRC #0133 (BERT 133)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
TedG will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: One CAD to rule them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRobot View Post
Best practice for Onshape is your entire robot in one Document. Within that Document, I would recommend breaking up your robot into sub-assemblies with each sub-assembly getting at least one Part Studio for its parts and an assembly to bring it all together before bringing all the sub-assemblies into one final robot assembly. Use the 'Group' feature in your assembly for all the parts you brought in from a Part Studio. This will maintain their relative locations without having to mate them individually.
Thanks for the info! very helpful

2010 - GSR: Excellence in Website Design
2011 - GSR: Motorola Quality Award
2012 - Mainely Spirit: Spirit Award, Human Player Award- GSR: Gracious Professionalism Award, Quarterfinalist- Beantown Blitz: Finalist
2013 - Mainely Spirit: Sportsmanship Award- GSR: Semifinalist, Woodie Flowers Award- PTR: Semifinalist- Beantown Blitz: Semifinalist
2014 - GSD: Spirit Award, 5th seed, Semi Finalists- PTD: 2nd seed, Finalists
2015 - Safety Animation 1st Place Award, PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 8th seed, Finalists, UNHD: Spirit Award, 9th seed, 6th seed Finalists Alliance Captain; Event Winner
2016 - NSD: Industrial Design Award, 3rd seed, Semifinalist- PTD: Excellence in Engineering Award, 2nd seed, Event Winner, Championship; Carver Finalists

Opinions expressed here are mine alone, and not necessarily of the team.
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-12-2018, 07:53 PM
FRC #2877 (The LigerBots)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2014
nrensing is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: One CAD to rule them all

The LigerBots use Creo - PTC is a founding sponsor for our team. I have more experience with Creo but have used both Creo and Solidworks professionally, and find the current iterations pretty similar. I find Creo's constraints easier to work with concede that the Solidworks parts modeling can be a bit less frustrating. As an engineer I appreciate the fact that Creo (and other industry standard programs) are exacting about dimensions and positioning of parts - it is frustrating during brainstorming but crucially important for engineering, which is a valuable real world skill we teach to our students. I would say that all of the UI's have evolved over the past decade and if your experience is older than a couple of years, it might no longer be relevant.

Onshape does have a phenomenal ebook on 3D modeling that everyone should read, regardless of the software you actually use. https://www.onshape.com/resources/eb...ng-3d-modeling I have used Onshape and there are things I like and things I don't like about it (I find it too easy to accidentally change things I thought were locked down). Students tend to love it. I would however recommend testing whether your workspace's internet access is sufficiently robust if you think of going that route.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: