OCCRA
Go to Post Anyone know anything about a missing plastic flamingo from NASA HQ? I should mention before you answer that tampering with federal property, even if it's weird stuff from (Dave's) office, is punishable by painful delivery of ChiefDelphi negative rep points. - Rich Kressly [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2005, 10:38 PM
AKA: Patrick Dingle
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
patrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to patrickrd
Re: College FIRSTers: What was your transitional year?

My transitional year was after sophomore year. Junior year I scaled back FIRST by about 90%. This was for several reasons:

- Team politics and the need to deal with high school parents was a distraction to my schoolwork and my goals. (although it was a good learning exercise to deal with difficult people)
- To encourage self-sustainability of my team, and reduce any reliance that the team had on myself (since I wouldn't be there forever). Also, to let other [younger] college students grow into the lead mentors for the team.
- To allow myself to move on and participate in a college-level autonomous robotics project... meet new people, new ideas, new philosophies, etc...

I *strongly* recommend college students to not get fixated on FIRST. It's great (seriously) to be involved with FIRST for a year or two while in college, but also realize that there's often tons of other opportunities you can take advantage of while in college. Why choose the same opportunity all four years?
Alumni - Team 190 - Mass Academy / WPI

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: