OCCRA
Go to Post A good engineer will never stop learning. From his peers, technicians, and competitors. The field is just to vast for any one person to know it all. - Mr. Mike [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 11:31 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute
pic: NC Gears FTC Glyph Handler

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 11:32 AM
AZ FTC AF, FTC #2844 and FTC #8640
FRC #1492 (Team Caution)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2008
MattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant futureMattRain has a brilliant future
Re: pic: NC Gears FTC Glyph Handler

Such a simple design! love it.

2015 FTC WORLD CHAMPIONS
www.valleyx2844.com
Twitters: Valley X & +3 Robotics & Team Caution
(World Championship Counter: 5)
*All my posts reflect my opinion, not my teams.*
"I WANT CHEETOS!" - Bad Lip Reading 2016 <-- ME
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 04:04 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Patrick Hurley
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
phurley67 will become famous soon enough

How do you handle glyphs loading askew? Does your (co)pilot just run the intake wheels independently or do is there some other process at work?

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 08:14 PM
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2010
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurley67 View Post
How do you handle glyphs loading askew? Does your (co)pilot just run the intake wheels independently or do is there some other process at work?
Howdy! Im not on the OP's team so this may be wrong, but I'm almost positive the intake wheels are mounted to the polycarb because the polycarb can flex, allowing the wheels to "open up" around the glyph, pulling it in to what I believe is an indexer (the pieces of polycarb mounted parallel to the table top on eather side of the intake). Very similar to the intakes we saw on landfill robots in 2015.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 09:51 PM
AKA: Roboteer5291
FTC #5291 (TOWR - The Oxford Wildcat Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2015
AndrewH is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad we won't see you until states, but hopefully not even then. Simple, yet elegant, unlike my team's dual-grabber, dual-lift design that is so darn heavy and easy to break without proper programming.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM
AKA: Prateek Tenkale
FTC #8375 (Vulcan Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
wingking_101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice design! Simple, yet effective. What wheels are you guys using for the intake?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Not Allowed Near Power Tools
AKA: Nick Schatz
FRC #3184 (Blaze Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingking_101 View Post
Nice design! Simple, yet effective. What wheels are you guys using for the intake?
They look like red AndyMark Compliant Wheels.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 08:45 PM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)

Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a video from our practice field. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBYJpzvjBlA&t=9s

The intake wheels on each side are independently controlled and reversible to allow the operator to rotate the glyph and straighten it out during intake.

FRC 1918 (Competing at St. Joseph and West MI in 2017)
FTC 6043 & 7911
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Patrick Hurley
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
phurley67 will become famous soon enough

Thanks we, FTC 10262, have a very similar mechanism -- single pair of larger wheels though. Our intake tray has active walls (they open and close to grab the glyphs). Our intake at the Canton Qualifier was rough, largely for lack of driver practice, but also I now believe because they had the intake sides too open and the glyphs could rotate too much once collected.

Playing next week in Novi, hope to have the kids practice all week, and see if we can do better.

Good luck to you.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 10:00 PM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
firecrafty will become famous soon enoughfirecrafty will become famous soon enough

Not terribly familiar with building for FTC, but the chain job on that drivetrain looks...less than ideal. I see a motor with a cantilevered sprocket with chain passing by on one side with something like less than 30 degrees of wrap.

"Programming is a science. Writing beautiful code is an art."
Any views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my team.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 08:28 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrafty View Post
Not terribly familiar with building for FTC, but the chain job on that drivetrain looks...less than ideal. I see a motor with a cantilevered sprocket with chain passing by on one side with something like less than 30 degrees of wrap.
Astute observation. That is one of the items that changed between the time this picture was taken and now. FTC is far less demanding of drive trains, but this configuration would not cut it for competition. It was only used for some preliminary testing. We use AndyMark Toughbox Micro gearboxes, and have chain tensioners that provide adequate wrap on the output sprocket.

FTC 6043 & 7911
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 12:17 AM
no team

Clairo112 is an unknown quantity at this point

How does the elevator work, can you post a close up picture of it?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:23 AM
A Loose Screw
AKA: Chris
FTC #5237 (Loose Screws)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
Loose Screw is a jewel in the roughLoose Screw is a jewel in the roughLoose Screw is a jewel in the rough

That's a really nice design for Glyphs. How close are you to making a Cipher in a match? Do you have any plans for the Jewel or Relic?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 04:39 PM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Screw View Post
That's a really nice design for Glyphs. How close are you to making a Cipher in a match? Do you have any plans for the Jewel or Relic?
We actually have 3 teams with (mostly) identical robots - 6043, 7911, and 13554. We competed at Kentwood last weekend and spent more time sitting dead on the field than stacking glyphs. We think the root of our problems were from static electricity (perhaps from sliding a piece of "regolith" around on the floor, etc.). Hopefully we can put that all behind us for our next event. However, in one match (where they actually functioned all thru the match) 7911 did manage a true cipher. We do have a jewel mover that works most of the time. We do not plan to do the relic, although we discovered that the current glyph system will pick it up and deposit it outside the field.

FTC 6043 & 7911

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: