OCCRA
Go to Post Physics is weird sometimes, this is why we prototype. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

 
Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 12:10 PM
carpedav000's Avatar
carpedav000 carpedav000 is offline
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Rookie Year: 2010
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 929
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute
pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Reply With Quote
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 03:04 PM
mman1506 mman1506 is offline
Hater of Tiny Molex Connectors
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 985
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpedav000 View Post
The inserts will crack almost immediately. The only successful use of carbide inserts I've seen is in the 150 gram class.
__________________
2014-2015: FRC 865 Warp7 Team Captain
2017: Free Agent Mentor
Reply With Quote
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Tom Line's Avatar
Tom Line Tom Line is offline
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Rookie Year: 1999
Location: Armada, Michigan
Posts: 2,786
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
The inserts will crack almost immediately. The only successful use of carbide inserts I've seen is in the 150 gram class.
I came to say the same thing. A nice piece of tool steel would be cheaper and less prone to shattering. Carbide is too brittle. Tool steel may be too brittle as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 05:24 PM
carpedav000's Avatar
carpedav000 carpedav000 is offline
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Rookie Year: 2010
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 929
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
The inserts will crack almost immediately. The only successful use of carbide inserts I've seen is in the 150 gram class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
I came to say the same thing. A nice piece of tool steel would be cheaper and less prone to shattering. Carbide is too brittle. Tool steel may be too brittle as well.
Yeah I realized this shortly after machining the tooth to fit the inserts. That's why I'm making a tool steel insert for it

Any recommendations for actually mounting the tooth? I'm thinking 5x grade 8 1/4-20 volts would do the trick but I am open to any recommendations
__________________
It isn't shiny enough.
Reply With Quote
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 05:34 PM
mman1506 mman1506 is offline
Hater of Tiny Molex Connectors
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 985
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

The big thing is to try to limit any stress risers like sharp inside corners. If your using bolts be careful not to load them in shear. The best designs usually utilize geometry to hold the tooth in place when under load rather than just a faster. It's also important to be aware of the strong likelihood of damaging the fastener head pottentially making it very difficult to remove.
__________________
2014-2015: FRC 865 Warp7 Team Captain
2017: Free Agent Mentor
Reply With Quote
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 06:24 PM
carpedav000's Avatar
carpedav000 carpedav000 is offline
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Rookie Year: 2010
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 929
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
The big thing is to try to limit any stress risers like sharp inside corners. If your using bolts be careful not to load them in shear. The best designs usually utilize geometry to hold the tooth in place when under load rather than just a faster. It's also important to be aware of the strong likelihood of damaging the fastener head pottentially making it very difficult to remove.
Could you please explain this a bit more? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I don't quite understand what you're talking about (not sarcasm, I actually don't know. My engineering lingo is limited).
__________________
It isn't shiny enough.
Reply With Quote
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 06:35 PM
asid61's Avatar
asid61 asid61 is offline
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Rookie Year: 2013
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 2,594
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpedav000 View Post
Could you please explain this a bit more? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I don't quite understand what you're talking about (not sarcasm, I actually don't know. My engineering lingo is limited).
Basically, if you only use screws to lock things in place instead of making the metal parts fit into each other via small teeth or something, then when you hit a robot it'll put a shear load on the screw. If the head of the screw gets hit then you may be unable to remove it too.
Having something like a slot and an extrusion that fits into the slot is very strong, and then the screw just pulls the two pieces together instead of stopping it from moving.

Those carbide inserts are pretty nifty! I never thought about using those on a combat robot, but it's too bad they're liable to chip easily. At least with HSS bars you can grind them to custom profiles!
__________________
Team 1072 2017-present
Team 299 2017
Team 115 2013-2016



Reply With Quote
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 06:45 PM
mman1506 mman1506 is offline
Hater of Tiny Molex Connectors
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)
Team Role: Alumni
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Rookie Year: 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 985
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpedav000 View Post
Could you please explain this a bit more? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I don't quite understand what you're talking about (not sarcasm, I actually don't know. My engineering lingo is limited).
No problem, I'll try my best. A stress riser/stress concentration is the reason you often see fillets on the inside corners of parts. An object is strongest when force is evenly distributed over its area, when you have a sharp corner and force is applied the stress will concentrate over that sharp corner potentially causing it to crack.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/tta1...?cb=1276760938

A good example of this is when you have a crack in polycarb sheet from an impact. If it gets impacted again the crack will likely grow longer as the stress will concentrate right at the tiny point at end of the crack. That's why its a good idea to drill a hole at the end of the crack. Even though your removing material it will actually make the sheet stronger as the stress can be distributed evenly around the much larger smoother hole rather than the tiny crack and hopefully prevent the crack from continuing.
__________________
2014-2015: FRC 865 Warp7 Team Captain
2017: Free Agent Mentor
Reply With Quote
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:36 PM
carpedav000's Avatar
carpedav000 carpedav000 is offline
SKEET
AKA: David Carpenter
no team (Jerry-Rigg school of DuctTapeology)
Team Role: Mechanical
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Rookie Year: 2010
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 929
carpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond reputecarpedav000 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
Basically, if you only use screws to lock things in place instead of making the metal parts fit into each other via small teeth or something, then when you hit a robot it'll put a shear load on the screw. If the head of the screw gets hit then you may be unable to remove it too.
Having something like a slot and an extrusion that fits into the slot is very strong, and then the screw just pulls the two pieces together instead of stopping it from moving.

Those carbide inserts are pretty nifty! I never thought about using those on a combat robot, but it's too bad they're liable to chip easily. At least with HSS bars you can grind them to custom profiles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mman1506 View Post
No problem, I'll try my best. A stress riser/stress concentration is the reason you often see fillets on the inside corners of parts. An object is strongest when force is evenly distributed over its area, when you have a sharp corner and force is applied the stress will concentrate over that sharp corner potentially causing it to crack.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/tta1...?cb=1276760938

A good example of this is when you have a crack in polycarb sheet from an impact. If it gets impacted again the crack will likely grow longer as the stress will concentrate right at the tiny point at end of the crack. That's why its a good idea to drill a hole at the end of the crack. Even though your removing material it will actually make the sheet stronger as the stress can be distributed evenly around the much larger smoother hole rather than the tiny crack and hopefully prevent the crack from continuing.
This will definitely be taken into consideration when fitting the counterweight. Thank you! Seeing as to how it's too late to help the tooth mounting situation, how could I strengthen the connection it in its current state?
__________________
It isn't shiny enough.
Reply With Quote
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2017, 08:55 PM
DonRotolo's Avatar
DonRotolo DonRotolo is offline
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832
Team Role: Mentor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Rookie Year: 2005
Location: Atlanta GA
Posts: 7,233
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Combat Robot Weapon 2

Strange as it may sound, taking a small round file and rounding out the inside corner of the aluminum bar will reduce the stress riser there, making it more durable. Counter-intuitive, remove material to increase strength, but it is real.

Don't take my word for it though: Get 2 smaller pieces of aluminum (scrap is fine) and cut a square corner inside like on the arm, but make the part sticking out (along the steel in your photo) much narrower (like 3/4", using 1/4" plate) - you want to be able to break it. Take one piece and file it as I suggested, a nice 3/4 round hole. Then, clamp it in a vise and, using a calibrated force*, whack it and see which breaks first.

*Get a weight and drop it, controlled, from a (measured) height. Increase the height to increase the force. Control is easy: Attach the weight to a long-ish stick, and hold the stick at one end. Think broom handle with hole drilled in far end, a bolt holding it so the near end (with the weight) drops the same each time.
__________________

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

The Chief Delphi Forums are sponsored by Innovation First International, Inc.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Chief Delphi