OCCRA
Go to Post First thing I do after the kickoff broadcast is start typing in my credit card number... - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:12 AM
FRC #4586

Rookie Year: 2017
OmerZ7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Is a battery screw terminal legal?

Is this battery terminal legal?

According to rule R38 F. Terminals: Nut and bolt style
and this battery has (only) a screw terminal.
So is it FRC compatible?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Official Scorekeeper
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond reputeratdude747 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is a battery screw terminal legal?

Please post a link or pictures... also know that CD isn't official for any intents or purposes.

Likely not, but I'm not an inspector nor do I claim to be. Most batteries that I've seen for FRC use have tabs with holes in them. Screw terminals- that almost sounds like a GM--style side terminal battery?

DISCLAIMER: Any opinions/comments posted are solely my personal opinion and does not reflect the views/opinions of FIRST, IndianaFIRST, or any other organization.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:24 AM
FRC #5202
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
ollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to beholdollien is a splendid one to behold

The manual specifically states the connector must be "nut and bolt style."

However, one could argue that a screw terminal is just a bolt and a rigid nut...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:37 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

I can't actually comment on the technical legality, but I can certainly say that I have seen teams using them (especially in Israel). Hopefully they are legal, or those teams have been breaking the rules for a while now. Of course the only way to know for sure is to wait for the season to start and submit a question in the Q&A. Without an answer from there, it's up to your LRI.

Edit: Seeing Jon's response, I guess I should start keeping an eye out for them
2012-2016: FRC 423 Member 15njtab 15padre 16paphi

Last edited by AriMB : 10-11-2018 at 10:39 AM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-11-2018, 10:38 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

You can always ask once the Q&A opens up.

However, the same wording for the battery was used in 2017, and it was asked and answered then:
Quote:
Q283 Clarification of Battery Terminal Restrictions
Q: R37-F specifies "Nut and bolt style" terminals. Are batteries with integral nuts permitted? Example:
PowerSonic PS-12180HD-M5 http://www.powersonic.com/images/pow...S12180HDM5.pdf

A: No. Batteries with integral nuts do not meet the requirement of R37 part F.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM
1506 Metal Muscle Electrical Team
AKA: Greg
FRC #1506 (Metal Muscle)
Team Role: Electrical

Zagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to allZagar is a name known to all

Wow, that battery style would be nice.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Steve Miller-Coach-Team 3355
AKA: Steve Miller
FRC #3355 (Bigg Redd)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2010
pilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud ofpilum40 has much to be proud of

I'm doing my teams' (2 teams this year) pre kick off parts inventory and needs analysis to try and pre think some of the parts we're going to need.
I saw this battery posted above and wanted to see if there are any other sources other than AndyMark for 'legal' batteries. I went out to Interstate batteries to see if there was another source for the 1116 battery. Wanted to see if y'all know any more reputable and less expensive sources? I'm looking to replace at least 6-8 batteries we've collected over the years. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Miller
Coach-Team 3355
Purple Vipers
Mentor-Team 7535 Purple Poison-all female FRC team!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 01:38 PM
FRC #6897 (Astraea Robotics)

risho900 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilum40 View Post
I'm doing my teams' (2 teams this year) pre kick off parts inventory and needs analysis to try and pre think some of the parts we're going to need.
I saw this battery posted above and wanted to see if there are any other sources other than AndyMark for 'legal' batteries. I went out to Interstate batteries to see if there was another source for the 1116 battery. Wanted to see if y'all know any more reputable and less expensive sources? I'm looking to replace at least 6-8 batteries we've collected over the years. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Steve Miller
Coach-Team 3355
Purple Vipers
This is taken from the game manual for Power Up. I don't know if theres anymore companies though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 2.48.44 PM.png
Views:	52
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	23581  
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Dannoooooooooo
AKA: Dan
FRC #0548 (Robostangs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
jnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant futurejnicho15 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilum40 View Post

Thanks in advance!

Steve Miller
Coach-Team 3355
Purple Vipers
548 has used the BatteryMart SLA-12V18's for the last couple years. They are a lot cheaper than AndyMark.
For 8 batteries shipped to Arlington (shipping estimated):
BatteryMart: $381.97
AndyMark: $492.54

We don't have a good way to compare them to our older batteries, but they don't seem any worse than others.

2014: MIHOW CA, Finalist; MILIV EI 2015: MISOU Finalist; MILIV CA, Winner; MIBED Winner; MICMP Winner
2016: MILIV CA; MICMP 16th Alliance- 8-F winner 2017: MISOU CA; MILIV EI; MICMP CA
2018: MILIV EI, MICMP EI, DAR-CUR Entrepreneurship
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

I've found them on the shelf at my local Batteries+, they're relatively common.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2018, 02:10 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
I can't actually comment on the technical legality, but I can certainly say that I have seen teams using them (especially in Israel). Hopefully they are legal, or those teams have been breaking the rules for a while now. Of course the only way to know for sure is to wait for the season to start and submit a question in the Q&A. Without an answer from there, it's up to your LRI.

Edit: Seeing Jon's response, I guess I should start keeping an eye out for them
Everyone,
These batteries are not legal and the question has come up on the Q&A for many years stating that. On occassion in Israel and some other foreign countries, these batteries were supplied under legal part numbers. If you saw one at a foreign event, it may have been allowed for a single event only with the knowledge of the event organizers and FRC HQ. The part numbers suggested in the Robot Rules does not include this style currently.
Please, always check the current year Robot Rules for specific legal parts.
www.wildstang.org
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Skierkiewicz View Post
Everyone,
These batteries are not legal and the question has come up on the Q&A for many years stating that. On occassion in Israel and some other foreign countries, these batteries were supplied under legal part numbers. If you saw one at a foreign event, it may have been allowed for a single event only with the knowledge of the event organizers and FRC HQ. The part numbers suggested in the Robot Rules does not include this style currently.
Please, always check the current year Robot Rules for specific legal parts.
Could you please elaborate as to why these should be illegal, from a technical perspective? My thinking is that when you're tightening the fastener into these blind threaded holes on the terminals, the reaction torque must come from the internal structure of the terminal itself (rather than a 2nd wrench), which could cause a break/weakening at the internal connection to the cells.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread Today, 12:27 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute

Nate,
The robot rules have specified what I call "tab" batteries for as far back as lead acid batteries have been legal. During manufacture, the batteries have no terminals, so internally all batteries of this type are identical. There are several variants of the terminals from tab to screw to post. Each one garners a different part number. During the end of the manufacturing process, the terminals are added, and soldered in place. Then either red or black epoxy is flowed into the well around the terminal. The "tab" battery is one that is more widely available world wide and is easy to inspect. Electrically, the tab has the least amount of series resistance for amateur installers and therefore the highest current capability. Robot use is an extreme environment for these batteries whose general use is lower current applications like emergency lighting and UPS batteries.
BTW, the internal soldering operation has no real mechanical attachment. It is for this reason the inspection staff is so adamant that no one lift the batteries by the wires. Lifting causes the internal connection to crack and fail. The battery will generally test good until high currents are expected. At that point, the resistance goes so high that robot reset is unavoidable.
www.wildstang.org

Last edited by Al Skierkiewicz : Today at 12:30 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: