OCCRA
Go to Post And I think the poll needs another option: WILL be under weight ... eventually ... just get me a drill. :D - Franchesca [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 12:48 PM
Engineer - Controls, Electronics
FRC #2053 (TigerTronics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2013
dougwilliams is on a distinguished road
Question Looking for Info on 2767 Stryke Force Swerve

Obviously 2767 had great performance over the season, congratulations on their Championship Win!

I was looking for design/CAD/SW or general info on what their swerve drive consists of. I've looked around on CD, and the web and don't see any details anywhere.

Does anyone know where to find some details on what they use?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 01:26 PM
AKA: AJ
FRC #3452 (GreengineerZ)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2016
Type is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to beholdType is a splendid one to behold
Re: Looking for Info on 2767 Stryke Force Swerve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwilliams View Post
Obviously 2767 had great performance over the season, congratulations on their Championship Win!

I was looking for design/CAD/SW or general info on what their swerve drive consists of. I've looked around on CD, and the web and don't see any details anywhere.

Does anyone know where to find some details on what they use?
I do not have CAD but from my knowledge just from talking to them (friends of ours), they are doing a swerve drive assembly with two wheels per swerve assembly, which they are using Colsons. Exact widths and diameter I can not think of off the top of my head. To drive the robot, they are using a 775 Pro ran through a CIM-ile, with a CIMcoder for speed and I can't remember the gear reduction on top of that. For turning they are using a BB550, again, unsure what the gear reduction is. From talking to them, I believe they are willing to release their CAD. Their design seems to make very much sense and I know 2054 is using an older version of it. Hopefully someone else will be able to fill in more details than I know.

*My posts do not reflect the opinion of my team*
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 01:28 PM
FRC 2959 Alumna
AKA: Michelle Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

beurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of light

If anyone from 2767 sees this, I would love to see a seminar from you guys on swerve. You are the experts on it and a white paper on it, or *hopefully* a filmed seminar would be amazing.
---1 Blue Banner (IN St Joseph Champion, 3 Awards, and 1 Year and COUNTING!
Head Coach of FTC Team 12014 (The Fire Wires) (2016-????)
---2 Event Wins (NorWestIn Champion and Bash on the Wabash Champion), 1 Time State Finalist, 1 Rookie Sensation Award, and 1 Year and COUNTING!

Starting the robot revolution at Saint Mary's College and The University of Notre Dame. Go Belles and go Irish!
My opinions are mine and mine only, and do not reflect the views of my team(s).
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 01:30 PM
TSIMFD
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

I looked very briefly at the module they were servicing while talking with them in the pits. The one thing that immediately stuck out to me was the fact they were using two wheels per module. It made for a very vertically compact design, as they could mount the wheels directly to the shaft with their bevel gears. Obviously, having the wheels with longer rotational lever arms would mean having to overcome more scrubbing to rotate the modules.

Last edited by Lil' Lavery : 05-03-2017 at 02:02 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 01:49 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Another nice feature of Stryke Force's swerve is vertical spring-loading. Someone from the team might post a picture; the springs do a fine job of keeping all the wheels in contact with carpet.

Here is a shot of the dual wheel set-up with am-2620 and am-2621 bevel gears in the middle. IIRC those are 217-4046 2.5" colsons.

I think the "fork" started life as a piece of 4" box tube before it was cut in half to make c-channels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stryking swerve.jpeg
Views:	1614
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	22302  

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Love/Hate Relationship with Swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wallace View Post
Another nice feature of Stryke Force's swerve is vertical spring-loading. Someone from the team might post a picture; the springs do a fine job of keeping all the wheels in contact with carpet.

Here is a shot of the dual wheel set-up with am-2620 and am-2621 bevel gears in the middle. IIRC those are 217-4046 2.5" colsons.

I think the "fork" started life as a piece of 4" box tube before it was cut in half to make c-channels.
This is really cool. We might look into making something similar. CAD models would be awesome.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
This is really cool. We might look into making something similar. CAD models would be awesome.
We are planning on doing an off season swerve; I am with you in hope to see some CAD for these modules. Looks like a sweet design!

Remember why you're doing this.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 03:58 PM
FRC #2767

Rookie Year: 2002
Cory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently making a swerve drive package of the 2017 robot which we plan to release in the coming weeks. Currently we are being swamped with requests and we believe it would be better suited for everyone if we make one location to get the files, rather then attacking them on an indidvual request.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 04:21 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Patrick Hurley
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

phurley67 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Walters View Post
Currently we are being swamped with requests
Can't imagine why, other than the fact that your robot was a joy to watch, and your driver seemed to have been born to use it.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Detroiter
AKA: Foxy
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Josh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant futureJosh Fox has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurley67 View Post
Can't imagine why, other than the fact that your robot was a joy to watch, and your driver seemed to have been born to use it.
Came here to make a similar statement. I didn't catch his name, but I had a great chat with their driver in the pits about their swerve modules, and he gave me all the details I could handle, including how it was the 7th (!) iteration of their modules.

If anyone wants to see how a swerve robot should be driven, definitely check out some match videos from this year. It's not too often you see someone so effectively rotating while simultaneously translating with a swerve without wasted motion.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 04:50 PM
FRC #1640

Rookie Year: 2001
Gdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond reputeGdeaver has a reputation beyond repute

I would not focus as much on the physical swerve but on the driver and the HMI. Why is their driver so good? Was he born that way or is there something about thier control system - HMI that allows him to perform at that level.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 07:23 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Fox View Post
It's not too often you see someone so effectively rotating while simultaneously translating with a swerve without wasted motion.
I haven't seen their robot in action, but what you described sounds a lot like what is described in posts 6, 9, and 10 of this thread and this paper.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 08:39 PM
FRC 2959 Alumna
AKA: Michelle Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

beurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of lightbeurwonderwall is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Walters View Post
We are currently making a swerve drive package of the 2017 robot which we plan to release in the coming weeks. Currently we are being swamped with requests and we believe it would be better suited for everyone if we make one location to get the files, rather then attacking them on an indidvual request.
Very excited for this!
---1 Blue Banner (IN St Joseph Champion, 3 Awards, and 1 Year and COUNTING!
Head Coach of FTC Team 12014 (The Fire Wires) (2016-????)
---2 Event Wins (NorWestIn Champion and Bash on the Wabash Champion), 1 Time State Finalist, 1 Rookie Sensation Award, and 1 Year and COUNTING!

Starting the robot revolution at Saint Mary's College and The University of Notre Dame. Go Belles and go Irish!
My opinions are mine and mine only, and do not reflect the views of my team(s).
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2017, 09:31 PM
FRC #3750 (Badger Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2017
kaeden hietala is an unknown quantity at this point

The driver of the robot was insane and fun to watch. His reactions are amazing on the field. Great drive train and Great driver.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2017, 10:25 AM
FRC #2767

Rookie Year: 2002
Cory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond reputeCory Walters has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a couple CAD shots of the swerve drive while we get the documents in order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002.jpg
Views:	1611
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	22306  Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	22307  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: