OCCRA
Go to Post Your second year in FIRST is your first year as a mentor. - Jay Trzaskos [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 11:20 AM
AKA: Andy
FRC #4028 (The Beak Squad)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
aciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud ofaciarniello has much to be proud of
Winningest FRC team of all time??

So, I was mulling over how we discuss the performance of traditional sports teams vs. how we discuss FRC teams and I began thinking of the concept of "the winningest team." This is something often talked about in traditional sports, where the win is often the most important thing, but in FRC--particularly in recent seasons--we also have the complicating factors of alliances and rank points which I think muddies the issue a little bit. This is not to mention the huge time differences between when teams began and the number of plays each team gets per season.

So, summer CD, here is my question to you. Who, in your mind, is the winningest FRC team of all time and more importantly, what is your metric? Is it simply the number of wins, as the name would suggest? Or is there a better way to do this?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM
Will join FRC team for food.
AKA: Warren Bartlett
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
TheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond reputeTheBoulderite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winningest FRC team of all time??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aciarniello View Post
So, I was mulling over how we discuss the performance of traditional sports teams vs. how we discuss FRC teams and I began thinking of the concept of "the winningest team." This is something often talked about in traditional sports, where the win is often the most important thing, but in FRC--particularly in recent seasons--we also have the complicating factors of alliances and rank points which I think muddies the issue a little bit. This is not to mention the huge time differences between when teams began and the number of plays each team gets per season.

So, summer CD, here is my question to you. Who, in your mind, is the winningest FRC team of all time and more importantly, what is your metric? Is it simply the number of wins, as the name would suggest? Or is there a better way to do this?
254. They've been around for 18 years and have kept their regional losses in the single digits.

EDIT: As of now, their regional record is 36-7. May have miscounted the wins, but definitely not the losses.

My opinions and statements I make are my own and are not reflective of what any of my former teams believe or think.

Last edited by TheBoulderite : 07-31-2017 at 11:30 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Captain | Driver | Junior
AKA: Rohit Gondi
FRC #3991 (KnightVision)
Team Role: Driver

dirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond reputedirtbikerxz has a reputation beyond repute

This will help: https://www.thebluealliance.com/insights

It has highest wins for a specific team, most successful alliances, and many more insights. You can even look at year specific insights.

Thanks to all our alliance partners this year!:
16 | 3310 | 2183 | 4063 | 2992 | 2183 | 3039 | 3337
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 11:36 AM
AKA: Erik Yngstrom
FRC #1768
Team Role: Mechanical

FrisbeeFunTime will become famous soon enoughFrisbeeFunTime will become famous soon enough

If I am going off of wins I have a few ways to go. I could go with the team with the most amount of regional wins, the team with moist championchips wins, the team that has performed the greatest feat in frc, a teams best first year, etc.. There are so many options but for wins I would have to go with 2056 1114 waterloo duo (hey its a team made of 2056, 1114, and another team). They dominated Canada winning regionals together year after year after year with it all culminating in the 2056 vs. 1114 in the finals with 2056 ultimately coming out on top.

Another way to look at it is through chairmans and I don't know enough about hof teams and their contributions to really make a judgement on who I consider to be the most winningest team in chairmans.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM
AKA: Will Ness
FRC #4944 (The Hi Fives)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2014
WillNess is a name known to allWillNess is a name known to allWillNess is a name known to allWillNess is a name known to allWillNess is a name known to allWillNess is a name known to all

I think that overall number of blue banners is a pretty accurate way of assessing a team because it shows robot performance and team performance. Unless you only want to judge based on robot performance, in which regional wins is probably more accurate.

Most blue banners: 254

2017 FRC: Quarterfinalist & Chairman's @ Utah | Quarterfinalist @ Houston Champs - Hopper Division
2016 FRC:Semifinalist @ Utah | Semifinalist @ Colorado
2015 FRC: Creativity In Engineering & Semifinalist @ Arizona West
2014 FRC: Rookie Allstar, Highest Rookie Seed & Semifinalist @ Utah | Rookie Allstar, Highest Rookie Seed & Semifinalist @ Colorado
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 02:04 PM
FRC #2122

mikhalev will become famous soon enough

The problem with judging robot performance based on regional wins is that it takes more than a good robot to win a regional. Some teams do some very impressive work with their robots, but they lack in execution and strategy aspects. And some teams have fairly basic robots, but they make up for it with superior strategy, consistency, communication, etc.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 02:24 PM
AKA: 97525A425
no team (Better than Bolts)

Rookie Year: 2014
Rivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond reputeRivet Man has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mikhalev,

Where I'm from, in order to be called the winningest team, you've gotta win!
Doesn't matter how many players you've sent to the league, if you aren't winning then you can't be called the winnigest!

Best Regards,
RM
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM
no bag, vex only, final destination
AKA: Pinecone
no team (Looking For A New Team); formerly FRC #228 & 2170)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoulderite View Post
254. They've been around for 18 years and have kept their regional losses in the single digits.

EDIT: As of now, their regional record is 36-7. May have miscounted the wins, but definitely not the losses.
If you control for the age of the team, 2056 has a better regular season event win/loss record. 2056 has lost only 2 regular season events in their history.
2016 Waterbury SFs (with 3314, 3719), 2016 Rhode Island #2 Seed / Winners (with 1058, 6153), 2016 Carver QFs (with 503, 359, 4607)
Consultant Person: 2170 (2017) - Waterbury Judge's Award, Hartford Creativity Award
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2015 TVR Quality, 2015 FLR Industrial Design,
2014 FLR Quality / SFs (with 341, 4930), 2013 BAE Quality, 2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182),
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), 2012 CT Xerox Creativity / SFs (with 2168, 118)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Teach it, don't do it.
AKA: Emile Hamwey
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)
Team Role: Student

EmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond reputeEmileH has a reputation beyond repute

Number of Einstein appearances, Einstein wins, and District/Regional wins.

Of all time - might I add.

Thanks to all our alliance partners this season!
125 | 238 | 5687 | 4908 | 58 | 3930 | 6328 | 177 | 67 | 2137 | 1640 | 2084 | 5556 | 1519 | 6328
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 02:55 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillNess View Post
I think that overall number of blue banners is a pretty accurate way of assessing a team because it shows robot performance and team performance. Unless you only want to judge based on robot performance, in which regional wins is probably more accurate.

Most blue banners: 254
The problem with this metric is that it can unfairly inflate older teams. Take a team that has been around for 20 years and won a blue banner every year, versus one that has been around for 10 years and won a banner every year - how do you compare them?

A better metric would be banners/year, or maybe even banners/event, with some sort of artificial limit put in (must be 5 years old, or something to that effect) to limit the impact of a lucky rookie year and to highlight team success over time. You could also keep it to the total number of banners, but limit the timeframe. Instead of including the full history of FRC, only include the past 5 years (or however many you think is relevant).

Just take some of the teams with the most blue banners:
254 - 48 banners over 19 years, about 2.5 banners per year.
1114 - 44/15, or almost 3 banners per year
67 - 41/21, close to 2 banners per year
2056 - 37/11, well more than 3 banners per year!

I'm not going to get into figuring out how many total events each of these teams attended over their history.

Personally, I like banners/event. It helps to even out the differences between teams that can afford more events and those that can't.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA

Last edited by Jon Stratis : 07-31-2017 at 03:24 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Blue and Yellow - Hello!
AKA: #TapeGate2017
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics) #299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
256 - 48 banners over 19 years, about 2.5 banners per year.
Must have skipped the years I was on the team.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2017, 03:25 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
Must have skipped the years I was on the team.
Oops, should have been 254. I went back and corrected that. That's what you get when a software engineer rushes his numbers a bit
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 07:28 AM
Free Scouting Help to All
AKA: Casey LeeVan
FRC #4272 (Maverick Boiler Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
tindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond reputetindleroot has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it has to be one of (67, 254, 2056). You have the most consistent regional and national performance, most regional wins, and highest win percentage between those three.

I think 67 should come out on top of that. 67 is currently the only team to take home CA and a championship win in the same season, one of only 2 teams to have consecutive championship wins, and one of only 4 teams to have 3 or more championship wins. They have also made division finals or better on all but THREE years since 2003. Finally, they are third in both blue banner totals and regional/district wins, so I'd say they've seen consistent winning over their long history.

As for win rate vs. total wins, of course win rate is a more valuable metric. However, it should be noted that the longer a team is around, the more difficult it is to keep a win rate high. One bad season can ruin these world-class win rates. Props to 254 and 67 especially for keeping consistent performances EVERY YEAR over their ~20 years.

Thanks to all of our alliance partners!
11, 51, 68, 71, 201, 234, 447, 494, 868, 910, 1108, 1241, 1501, 1746, 1760, 1918, 3098, 3147, 3180, 3301, 3487, 3865, 4269, 4485, 4580, 4926, 4982, 5188, 5403

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM
AKA: Jack Nowakowski
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
JackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond repute

Ringz over all

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2017, 09:02 AM
FRC #2702 (Rebels)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Nessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant future

2056. They are nutty!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: