OCCRA
Go to Post It will mean far more than you can imagine...and really, you can't lose. - David Kelso [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2017, 06:38 PM
FTC #4962 (FRC 2723 Team Rocket/FTC Rockettes/FLL Baking Soda Volcano)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
madz is on a distinguished road
start-of-school recruiting help

Hi everyone,

It's that's time of year again. School is starting and that means new freshmen arriving. Our school has a freshman orientation day with a club fair where all the clubs can try to recruit. Unfortunately, none of the clubs/teams get much space and we have to compete with the inflatables that are set up in the gym.

We are looking for a better way to let these freshmen know about robotics.

We have a lot of cool things we can advertise, like:

1) robots. They are cool.
2) we have food at our meetings
3) we travel to a lot of cool places and miss a lot of school
4) the robotics teams have won more trophies than all the athletic teams combined in the last couple of years
5) we try to emphasize the business and outreach opportunities
6) looks great on college applications

but even when we have robots available for the kids to drive they are still often doubtful and say things such as "I'm not smart enough" or "I'm afraid I'll break the robot."

We're a small FRC team (10-15 returning members) that also does FTC in the fall. Our incoming class is probably about 100 freshmen (400 total kids at our school).

Does anyone have anything they can share with us about how you recruit new members? We mentor a lot of FLL teams at our feeder schools so expect to grow quickly in a couple of years, but we need a way to get kids who have never done robotics involved as well.

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2017, 06:46 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
tjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud oftjf has much to be proud of
Re: start-of-school recruiting help

Just reading through this, your biggest interaction, the club fair, is a place where you want to work with, not compete against. If you have a 2014, 2016 or 2013 robot, they're all excellent games to "interact" with a crowd. Launch fuel, boulders, frisbees, and large balls. It's one thing to go in a bounce-house, as fun as they are, it's another to play catch with a robot.

Secondly, you can stress things *other* than the robot, like strategy, design, AV, and so on.

And finally, the easiest way to counter the "I'm not smart enough" view is to say that's why you join! To learn! The brightest minds of their generation weren't born the brightest, they learned how to do better by *doing*.

I wish you guys the best of luck, have fun, do well, and remember... there's more to this than the robot.

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumn | 1228 (2017-Present) - Mentor of The Hour
KD2KRT
My ideas and comments are my own, bla bla bla legal. Send CADs.

Last edited by tjf : 08-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2017, 06:49 PM
AKA: WolfPack
FRC #6314 (DM Robotics "The WOLFPACK")
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2017
DMRobotics6314 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: start-of-school recruiting help

The best way that we have found to recruit is to play a cool video with a cool robot on the morning announcements or play it at your recruitment day on an iPad or computer. That always helps. Below is a link to our recruitment video. Feel free to use it to recruit some new members. This video has helped grow student interest in our team by about 60%. Another way is to have a flyer that has all of the information on it as well. Below I will give you a link to our flyer as well. We sent this out to our students via email as well giving them out as in hard copy form during open house night. The flyer is double sided, but the first side is for students.

Flyer:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B31...ew?usp=sharing
Recruitment Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUSQUJixliU

Good Luck,

DM Robotics
FIRST Team #6314

2017 Rookie Allstar AZ North
2017 Highest Rookie Seed AZ West
2017 Entrepreneurship Award AZ West
2017 Volunteer of the Year

Thanks to all of 6314's alliance partners in the 2017 Carver Division and on The Einstein Field:
2122, 987 and 4910!!!

Thanks to all the teams we've worked with over the year: 1011, 1160, 2478, 3019, 2122, 987, 4910

YouTube | Facebook | The Blue Alliance | Chief Delphi
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2017, 06:51 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

We hold a summer camp for incoming freshmen that seems to work quite well. We have 13 freshmen attending this year, out of a class of about 80, which is typical. So a smaller school, yet we have 25-30 students every year.

When talking with the incoming freshmen, you need to emphasize your training program. No experience needed, learn how to build/wire/program a robot. Signing up for our summer camp doesn't commit you for the entire season, it's just 2 weeks, and a smaller commitment is much easier to make. Get them in the door, and then its your job to keep them
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2017, 07:54 PM
#NotAStudent #BabyFace
AKA: Lenny
FRC #1018 (Robodevils)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
lenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond reputelenny8 has a reputation beyond repute

One of the big things my team focused on was " More than just robots". we listed a good majority of our sub groups and highlighted the non technical.
I felt strongly that by having robots there and some technical people there would be enough to already engage the people interested in STEM But we want to reach out to as many people as possible by highlighting other areas and empathizing our team diversity.

If you want specific detals on what we did I can get you encotact with our student PR lead.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-06-2017, 11:26 PM
FF: TSIMFD
AKA: The Semi-Obsessive Head Scout
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast is a jewel in the roughnomythicalbeast is a jewel in the roughnomythicalbeast is a jewel in the roughnomythicalbeast is a jewel in the rough

My team comes from two very small schools, and at least one doesn't have any kind of school fair (I don't know about the other). The way I see it, a lot of our recruitment is done through simple word of mouth. We do have several FLL teams and two FTC teams that we support, and we do hold a Lego League summer camp, but from my experience, most recruitment has been done through students actively trying to get others to join and not through any kind of event.

However, this is a topic that my team is looking very closely into now because, currently, we have a very small amount of members and a large percentage of those members are in the Class of 2018. If you have any suggestions that would apply, please let me know!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2017, 09:11 AM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

All good advice above.

I'd add, if you have the data, once you get students in for a meeting, share with them what your grads are doing. Where did they go to school? What did they major in? What sort of internships or jobs have they landed?

I've had many students who are interested in engineering but told me they didn't "have the time" for robotics. While showing that robotics is fun and cool works to attract some students, for others you need to make a case for their after school time.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Mentor
FRC #2882 (Nuts n Boltz)

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to de-emphasize 2 and 3 in the future. Students attracted by those are likely to fade away once they find out they have to actually do something.

7) Those considering careers in STEM fields can make contacts with people who can help them find a job after college.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Make it clear that robotics TEAM is much more than robots. You need artists, writers, video & photo people, etc.

Also make it clear that no experience (or smarts) needed, just a desire to learn cool stuff. When they show up, put a power drill in their hand and have them drill a hole in aluminum.

Here are some things I want to try this year, as we also have a small team:

1. Ask the math, history, business, science and english teachers to sell the team for 5 minutes during class. YOU need to give them what to talk about, but emphasize how the team uses the subject they teach (and those other things like trophies, college apps, scholarship $$, travel, food, fun, etc...)

2. Get a cheerleader to join the team. Put a drill in his or her hands and have them drill a hole. Just ask, it really works. Next thing others will want to join.

3. When people show up, assign someone good to stick to them and have them do stuff: drill holes, pop rivets, cut things... Nothing is worse than a new shy kid showing up and just ignored.

Let us know what works and what doesn't!

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Technical Director
AKA: Gus Michel II
FRC #3946 (Tiger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by philso View Post
You might want to de-emphasize 2 and 3 in the future. Students attracted by those are likely to fade away once they find out they have to actually do something.

7) Those considering careers in STEM fields can make contacts with people who can help them find a job after college.
+1 to these, and also let me suggest:

8) Learning to work as a team. Teamwork/coordination/communication is a essential element of just about any technical or professional career (STEM-related or not). Experience with a competitive team will help prepare you for your career, and (properly written) will look good on a resume'.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-08-2017, 12:01 AM
Mentor
FRC #2882 (Nuts n Boltz)

philso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond reputephilso has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
+1 to these, and also let me suggest:

8) Learning to work as a team. Teamwork/coordination/communication is a essential element of just about any technical or professional career (STEM-related or not). Experience with a competitive team will help prepare you for your career, and (properly written) will look good on a resume'.
9) Ask for students who may not have a strong interest in technology but want to go into project management. Maybe check with the students in in any business classes. The Captain of one of the local teams did not pick up any tools, write any code or drive the robot. He went to all the sub-teams to make sure they were on track and were working with the other sub-teams.

The strong FRC teams often have better project management systems in effect than most of the places I have worked.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2017, 10:37 PM
FTC #4962 (FRC 2723 Team Rocket/FTC Rockettes/FLL Baking Soda Volcano)
Team Role: Programmer

madz is on a distinguished road

Thanks, everyone, for all the ideas! We're incorporating several of them into our after school robotics open house tomorrow. We had quite a few people drive robots last week at the freshmen orientation day and several said they would come to our info meeting this week. We also got permission to send a schoolwide email blast (basically to everyone) about it including a lot of the non-robot benefits, and made some announcements on the intercom. Wish us luck!

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2017, 06:58 AM
FRC #5826

tjwolter will become famous soon enoughtjwolter will become famous soon enough

Best of luck.
Oddly we have had three "walk ons", incoming freshmen who have heard of the team and sought us out in the off season. Given that we are a young team and only lost two seniors that puts us on paper at our recruiting goals already.
But we aim to to from a team size of 20 up to closer to 30, so we'll do a bit of recruiting anyway. After this season we will be losing both of our main programmers.
T. Wolter
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-17-2017, 09:43 AM
FRC #1891 (The Bullbots)
Team Role: Leadership

Silicon Phoenix is an unknown quantity at this point

Our team has had the exact same issue for years. Many people will explicitly say to us they don't know anything about robotics, and I usually quickly tell them that I knew nothing when I joined robotics, that we will teach them, and that there are other important roles in the team besides robot building. If I'm able to get all of this across to them, they feel much more comfortable signing up for the team.

I also tell them about our new member orientation meeting that we have each year, where they will get a very non-committal crash course into what the team does (as well as free food). 70% - 80% of the students that go to this orientation will usually stay with the team.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2017, 12:38 AM
AKA: Timothy Low
FRC #5016 (Huntington Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Tim_Low is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the important things to advertise is life long skills. We often tell incoming team members that the skills you learn here will help you in the real world, and not just in STEM. The skills learned in FIRST are similar to the skills needed to communicate and work efficiently in just about any workspace.

Dont forget to mention that it is some of the most fun you will have in high school! b

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: