OCCRA
Go to Post I'm a zit. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 09:12 AM
FRC #1577 (SteamPunk)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2015
AmitShavit is an unknown quantity at this point
pic: Flipped Transmission By SteamPunk #1577

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 09:14 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Flipped Transmission By SteamPunk #1577

Looks good! It's pretty standard in FRC to add 0.003" (0.067mm) between gears to keep them from binding up. It looks like the pocketing could use a bit of work (especially in the inner-most plate), but other than that it looks like a nice gearbox.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM
FRC #5811 (The BONDS)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Peter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari423 View Post
Looks good! It's pretty standard in FRC to add 0.003" (0.067mm) between gears to keep them from binding up. It looks like the pocketing could use a bit of work (especially in the inner-most plate), but other than that it looks like a nice gearbox.
I second everything here. My two additions are:

1. I don't know anything about your team's manufacturing, but make sure you can hold at least +- 0.003" accuracy on your mill or router. If you are +- 0.004" or worse, you can go the "beneath" the 0.003" addition and really grind gears. This makes very inefficient gearboxes and very hot CIMs, not fun. Single speed does make manufacturing easier and this gearbox is well packaged, so that is good.

2. Your theoretical free speed with a 4" wheel is nearly 20ft/s which is pretty speedy, so make sure you leave room for drive practice, and avoid prolonged pushing matches. Even with some more conservatively geared 4CIM single speeds, you are in danger of really heating up motors or popping breakers, if your robot is heavy. I speak from experience. At our off-season event our shifting gearboxes got stuck in high gear (18ft/s theoretical max), and after a ~10s pushing match our main breaker popped. If your robot is heavy and geared aggressively, AKA not traction limited, you can stall CIMs and pop breakers quickly.

With those warnings out of the way, this looks like a good gearbox overall.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:32 AM
FRC #5811 (The BONDS)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
Peter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud ofPeter Salisbury has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari423 View Post

1. I don't know anything about your team's manufacturing, but make sure you can hold at least +- 0.003" accuracy on your mill or router. If you are +- 0.004" or worse, you can go the tighter than the 0.003" addition and really grind gears. This makes very inefficient gearboxes and very hot CIMs, not fun. Single speed does make manufacturing easier and this gearbox is well packaged, so that is good.

2. Your theoretical free speed with a 4" wheel is nearly 20ft/s which is pretty speedy, so make sure you leave room for drive practice, and avoid prolonged pushing matches. Even with some more conservatively geared 4CIM single speeds, you are in danger of really heating up motors or popping breakers, if your robot is heavy. I speak from experience. At our off-season event our shifting gearboxes got stuck in high gear (18ft/s theoretical max), and after a ~10s pushing match our main breaker popped. If your robot is heavy and geared aggressively, AKA not traction limited, you can stall CIMs and pop breakers quickly.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM
Pool Noodle Thrower
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (The Milkenknights)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant futuremarcusbernstein has a brilliant future

Looks like a solid design! Don't forget about wires when you're placing your cims. It looks like they may need to go a little further from the edge of the wheel just to be safe, but hard to say without CAD. Your lightening is decent, but it could use a bit of work on improving strength. There are a couple spots where I would add more struts, but I tend to be pretty conservative with lightening so you may be fine. I hate the wasted space with the sprocket, but it is kind of necessary with the length of the Cims. An interesting tradeoff here is using 3 minicims, but that also has its own problems like more pdp ports, weight (in pinions fasteners and extended plates), and height among others. Maybe you could fill some of that wasted space with an encoder mount just so its conveniently in the gearbox, or maybe some of that space can be taken up with shifting. I've tried over and over, and with shifting you can't get much better packaged than the WCP flipped cim, but it's interesting to see how you've retained this nice package without shifting.

Great job on the design!!!

"Once you've decided that it isn't a code problem, isn't a mechanical problem, and isn't an electrical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong"
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Mentor & Coach
AKA: Lidor Kaplan
FRC #1577 (Steampunk)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Lidor51 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Salisbury View Post

1. I don't know anything about your team's manufacturing, but make sure you can hold at least +- 0.003" accuracy on your mill or router. If you are +- 0.004" or worse, you can go the tighter than the 0.003" addition and really grind gears. This makes very inefficient gearboxes and very hot CIMs, not fun. Single speed does make manufacturing easier and this gearbox is well packaged, so that is good.

Thanks both of you Ari and Peter for the 0.003" tip.
Peter, we're pretty confidence about the speed, but if we see we need lower ratio so we will go with 3.5" wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusbernstein View Post
Looks like a solid design! Don't forget about wires when you're placing your cims. It looks like they may need to go a little further from the edge of the wheel just to be safe, but hard to say without CAD. Your lightening is decent, but it could use a bit of work on improving strength. There are a couple spots where I would add more struts, but I tend to be pretty conservative with lightening so you may be fine. I hate the wasted space with the sprocket, but it is kind of necessary with the length of the Cims. An interesting tradeoff here is using 3 minicims, but that also has its own problems like more pdp ports, weight (in pinions fasteners and extended plates), and height among others. Maybe you could fill some of that wasted space with an encoder mount just so its conveniently in the gearbox, or maybe some of that space can be taken up with shifting. I've tried over and over, and with shifting you can't get much better packaged than the WCP flipped cim, but it's interesting to see how you've retained this nice package without shifting.

Great job on the design!!!
We're planning to add an encoder mount in the final version.

Steampunk 1577, Israel.
Facebook Instagram Youtube Website

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: