OCCRA
Go to Post With a one-on-one-on-one-on-one-on-one game it would be really easy. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
AKA: Ben
FRC #5113 (Combustible Lemons)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
Espo is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you fill out my form regarding which program your team uses to communicate?

I am collecting data on which team uses which program, and if you could decide right now, which program you would prefer your team to use. I am using this data to move my team to a better platform. Thank you so much!

https://goo.gl/forms/tYL5gzsRHnDmhNw02
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 09:55 AM
FRC #5421 (Birch Bots)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Zack-5421 is on a distinguished road
Re: Can you fill out my form regarding which program your team uses to communicate?

Use Slack its free and easy to use End of story!

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:01 AM
FRC #3340 (Magnegeeks)

PrimeHourglass is on a distinguished road
Re: Can you fill out my form regarding which program your team uses to communicate?

FIRST Robotics Research Project Help Request from a Student from Team 3340 Magnegeeks
Hello, mentors/advisors of Combustible Lemons robotics teams.

[I only need data from Mid-Atlantic District]

I am a student from Team 3340 Magnegeeks and I have a scientific research project on hand so I would like to request a picture of your robot's drive chassis for 2016 FIRST Stronghold. If you do not have a picture of subject, I would like the following...

-The type of drive you used (ex: tank, R-T traction, swerve, etc.)
-If the drive is not a continuous drive chassis aka tank, please indicate...
-the type of wheel
-the number of wheels
-the size of the wheels
If your drive is a continuous drive chassis please indicate what kind of tread it is (ex: traction, mecanum, omni, etc)
-If you use a mix of wheel please indicate that, too

P.S. If you have the website from where you purchased the drive from that would be great, too

P.P.S I fill out your form
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack-5421 View Post
Use Slack its free and easy to use End of story!
I would prefer slack or discord, and I'm using these results to persuade my team.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeHourglass View Post
FIRST Robotics Research Project Help Request from a Student from Team 3340 Magnegeeks
Hello, mentors/advisors of Combustible Lemons robotics teams.

[I only need data from Mid-Atlantic District]

I am a student from Team 3340 Magnegeeks and I have a scientific research project on hand so I would like to request a picture of your robot's drive chassis for 2016 FIRST Stronghold. If you do not have a picture of subject, I would like the following...

-The type of drive you used (ex: tank, R-T traction, swerve, etc.)
-If the drive is not a continuous drive chassis aka tank, please indicate...
-the type of wheel
-the number of wheels
-the size of the wheels
If your drive is a continuous drive chassis please indicate what kind of tread it is (ex: traction, mecanum, omni, etc)
-If you use a mix of wheel please indicate that, too

P.S. If you have the website from where you purchased the drive from that would be great, too

P.P.S I fill out your form
I do not have a picture, but I can answer some of these questions (I'm a programmer, so I don't know all of the answers).

Tank drive (no omniwheel)
I don't know what this question is asking
Pneumatic wheels
Six wheels
I don't know the size

I don't know which website we purchased it from, and Stronghold was the last year we purchased a chassis.

I apologize for not having all of the information, but I was a freshman that year and don't have all of the info.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:06 AM
FRC #3340 (Magnegeeks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
I do not have a picture, but I can answer some of these questions (I'm a programmer, so I don't know all of the answers).

Tank drive (no omniwheel)
I don't know what this question is asking
Pneumatic wheels
Six wheels
I don't know the size

I don't know which website we purchased it from, and Stronghold was the last year we purchased a chassis.

I apologize for not having all of the information, but I was a freshman that year and don't have all of the info.
Thank you, it's all good, I just confirmed with my data on you guys, it's aligned.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:09 AM
FRC #3340 (Magnegeeks)

Can you publicize your data once it is finished? We are also considering a more reliable communication method.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:22 AM

Sure! I'll make another post on chief delphi, reddit, and the FRC discord server, which are the three places I posted this. I will post the data in a few days.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:10 PM
WinterPoet
AKA: Rom
FRC #5180 (MetalHeads)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

WinterPoet will become famous soon enoughWinterPoet will become famous soon enough

I know that it may be an unpopular opinion, but I definitely prefer GroupMe. Last year my team actually tried to switch over to Slack, but wound up abandoning that effort and just sticking with what had already worked for us: GroupMe.

In general, I find that most of our students already have GroupMe for one reason or another so they find it inconvenient to have to download another app. GroupMe allows you to create events, easily add or remove members, mute chats, and is reliable, and for us, that's all we need. Slack was more complicated and we simply didn't need that. However, regardless of what platform you use, my best advice is to create a serious chat and a goofy one. It helps streamline information distribution if people have a place to put memes and jokes and a place to put important stuff.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:28 PM
FRC #2702 (Rebels)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Nessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant futureNessie has a brilliant future

How come there is no "other" option for "If your team could use any service, what would you prefer best?"?

We use a phpBB forum and it suites our needs just fine. (However I cannot communicate this through the current google form.)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:35 PM
Roboter
AKA: Mark Lavrentyev
FRC #4557 (FullMetal Falcons)

Hitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond reputeHitchhiker 42 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
How come there is no "other" option for "If your team could use any service, what would you prefer best?"?

We use a phpBB forum and it suites our needs just fine. (However I cannot communicate this through the current google form.)
I'm going to second this, as we use Bitrix24 and it works well for us. Note that I am not submitting a form as this option is lacking.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Team Captain
AKA: Devin Ardeshna
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics | Team 8)
Team Role: Mechanical

dardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to all

Would highly suggest slack - you can get a heavy discount for being associated with an educational institution and you can get it for free if you are a non-profit organization. In addition to the effective channel layout of the service, there are a number of useful integrations (google calendar, google drive, asana, etc). The Slack support staff are also awesome and happy to help out with anything. We've been using it since 2014.
Team Captain (Paly Robotics FRC #8)

2017 Ventura Regional Quarterfinalist, Entrepreneurship Award, and Creativity Award, Silicon Valley Regional Finalist, Entrepreneurship Award, and Wildcard, Roebling Division Semifinalist
2016 Central Valley Regional Finalist and Wildcard, Silicon Valley Regional Quarterfinalist, Curie Division, CalGames Quarterfinalist and Entrepreneurship Award, Capital City Classic Quarterfinalist
2015 Central Valley Regional Entrepreneurship Award, Silicon Valley Regional Entrepreneurship Award, Capital City Classic Semifinalist and Judges' Award
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dardeshna View Post
Would highly suggest slack - you can get a heavy discount for being associated with an educational institution and you can get it for free if you are a non-profit organization. In addition to the effective channel layout of the service, there are a number of useful integrations (google calendar, google drive, asana, etc). The Slack support staff are also awesome and happy to help out with anything. We've been using it since 2014.
I'm thinking about slack or discord. If slack had roles, I would absolutely go slack. I just love the feature of roles, which discord has. I love being able to do @Programming and notify everyone on programming. I also love being able to give certain roles access to certain channels. Does slack have a similar feature? I tried slack out, but couldn't find one like it. Slack would be easier to persuade my team to switch to, and I have a family member who works at slack and I am actually going to meet a ton of programmers at slack in about a week, which will be exciting.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Team Captain
AKA: Devin Ardeshna
FRC #0008 (Paly Robotics | Team 8)
Team Role: Mechanical

dardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to alldardeshna is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
I'm thinking about slack or discord. If slack had roles, I would absolutely go slack. I just love the feature of roles, which discord has. I love being able to do @Programming and notify everyone on programming. I also love being able to give certain roles access to certain channels. Does slack have a similar feature? I tried slack out, but couldn't find one like it. Slack would be easier to persuade my team to switch to, and I have a family member who works at slack and I am actually going to meet a ton of programmers at slack in about a week, which will be exciting.
Slack has user groups, which I think is similar to what you are talking about.

https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/arti...97-User-Groups
Team Captain (Paly Robotics FRC #8)

2017 Ventura Regional Quarterfinalist, Entrepreneurship Award, and Creativity Award, Silicon Valley Regional Finalist, Entrepreneurship Award, and Wildcard, Roebling Division Semifinalist
2016 Central Valley Regional Finalist and Wildcard, Silicon Valley Regional Quarterfinalist, Curie Division, CalGames Quarterfinalist and Entrepreneurship Award, Capital City Classic Quarterfinalist
2015 Central Valley Regional Entrepreneurship Award, Silicon Valley Regional Entrepreneurship Award, Capital City Classic Semifinalist and Judges' Award
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2017, 06:19 AM
ME who pretends to code
AKA: Tim W
FRC #0343 (Metal in Motion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
fargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to beholdfargus111111111 is a splendid one to behold

We use Remind and social media to announce things, but so far as just basic conversation we generally go the old fashioned way and just use our mouths. That is not to say some of our students do not form group chats among themselves, but we have yet to feel the need for a whole team group.

play is the highest form of research-Einstein

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: