OCCRA
Go to Post I think there is much to be learned from working in teams, and team projects, but even more when you go out on your own some time for something you are truly passionate about. - paul_v [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 12:56 AM
GA w/ a voice made for silent films
AKA: Entitled volunteer - do not hire
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics) #299 (Valkyrie Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute
Probably the coolest robotics competition I've ever seen

My boy Edward sent me this link. It's going on for the next 4-5 days and the production and event quality surpasses almost every FRC event I've been to.

https://www.twitch.tv/robomaster
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 01:14 AM
Baseball hat kid
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (Milkenknights)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Probably the coolest robotics competition I've ever seen

Just one airship in the center of the field?? Looks like a weird version of steamworks.

Actually though, that looks really cool! The announcing is great, the game looks really cool, but I'm not sure why we are watching the faces of each of the drivers. Lets not incorporate that into FRC or else lots of people would see/hear me and my drive teams yelling some pretty weird stuff behind the glass... (I promise they're in-match plays, I'm sorry they have funny names)

They also have a cool thing like nightbot which is periodically sending updates on the game and the rules. I read through them and am still pretty confused, but nonetheless its a cool challenge and exciting to watch!

Update: the stream just switched to a camera onboard the robot. That was so cool! Imagine if the stream viewers could see inside 971's camera while their turret aligns on the boiler or watch from an onboard camera as 254 runs their 2016 2 ball auto. That would be so cool!!!

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.

Last edited by marcusbernstein : 08-02-2017 at 01:17 AM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 01:33 AM
Not Allowed Near Power Tools
AKA: Nick Schatz
FRC #3184 (Blaze Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2014
nickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud ofnickbrickmaster has much to be proud of

If robotics ever goes mainstream, it'll probably be something like this IMO. The game is accessible and the production value is super high.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 01:35 AM
Hater of Tiny Molex Connectors
AKA: Marcus Quintilian
FRC #0865 (Wrap7)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
mman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond reputemman1506 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, it's DJI's competition. They are even making a anime based on the competition. Imagine a FRC anime!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 02:46 AM
Wait, people DO read these?
AKA: Co-host of the Jake & Aboudy Show
FRC #1768 (RoboChiefs)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2015
Aboudy Dairi is on a distinguished road

I like the DotA/LoL vibe and especially the aspects of eliminating robots. This brings a whole new level of strategy into play, as teammates must be well coordinated, and drivers must have mechanical skill as well as the ability to think quickly in dynamic situations. However, you always play with the same teammates, all the time, so random alliance partners isn't a variable here. The robots are awesome as well, when I was watching I saw many turrets with some amazing tracking features. One of the robots would rapidly spin around while the turret was locked on to a target in order to make themselves harder to shoot, really cool stuff. Honestly, this seems closer to an eSports livestream than to a robotics livestream, the casting is of the same quality, the UI and various first person camera angles also mimic that, there is bodyblocking, firstblood, assigned robot roles, all that's missing is a 23 million dollar prize pool (seriously, look it up). I mean the drivers don't even see the field, they drive just based off of cameras, might as well be playing a video game with awesome graphics. Although it was weird to see all those vectored intake wheels on the drivetrains...

EDIT: Didn't even realize drones are actually player controlled and part of the match, pretty cool stuff.

Last edited by Aboudy Dairi : 08-02-2017 at 02:49 AM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 03:09 AM
AKA: Mark
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)
Team Role: Engineer

Mk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond reputeMk.32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
My boy Edward sent me this link. It's going on for the next 4-5 days and the production and event quality surpasses almost every FRC event I've been to.

https://www.twitch.tv/robomaster
What happens when a multi-billionaire of the most successful consumer drone company wants to take on a new goal. It's been going on for a bit now, with DJI it's gotten a lot more impressive... Rules here for anyone interested https://cdn-hz.robomasters.com/robom...nRulesV1.9.pdf

But is it really necessary to put down FIRST every time something comes long that is better in one aspect. You can't compare a event run by a mulit-billion dollar company focused on presentation of on event VS a non-profit that is focused on getting into thousands of schools with hundreds of events.

Team President: Team 3647 2010-2013

Last edited by Mk.32 : 08-02-2017 at 03:11 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 03:24 AM
GA w/ a voice made for silent films
AKA: Entitled volunteer - do not hire
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics) #299 (Valkyrie Robotics)

Andrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew_L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
But is it really necessary to put down FIRST every time something comes long that is better in one aspect. You can't compare a event run by a mulit-billion dollar company focused on presentation of on event VS a non-profit that is focused on getting into thousands of schools with hundreds of events.
I wouldn't say it was putting down FIRST at all. I'm simply celebrating the quality of this event. Quality is a subjective term, as I'm sure nobody here would disagree with, and I simply stated that to me this event is of higher quality than most (note I did not say all) of the FRC events I've been to. Are the institutions behind each competition different? Sure. I never said they were a fair playing field, nor did I say they were perfectly comparable substitutes for each other. You are 100% correct that it would be unreasonable to expect FIRST to have the same level of production and event execution as this program for the exact reasons you listed, and I assure you I never expressed those expectations.

I am aware I've been known to be overly critical of FIRST as a program, but this thread is nothing more than celebration and enthusiasm of my latest discovery - enthusiasm I am hoping to share with the CD community.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 09:55 AM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Surf City Vikings)
Team Role: Teacher

SenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond reputeSenorZ has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that the RoboMaster competitors do not hold to the "Its more than a robot" mantra.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
I have a feeling that the RoboMaster competitors do not hold to the "Its more than a robot" mantra.
I'm sure those teams use their robots as a 'campfire' to gather around too. Building a competitive robot requires a lot more than just building a competitive robot, regardless of the competition.

Let us not compare or contrast the RoboMasters competition to FRC. They both exist and there is more than enough room in the world for more robotics competitions.

Let us celebrate that there are other groups trying to raise STEM to a higher place culturally and that robots are MFD.
Clarke's Laws
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 11:31 AM
AKA: pepemanboy
no team (ROULT 4403 (2013-2016))

Rookie Year: 2013
pepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud ofpepemanboy has much to be proud of

I've made a couple of Asian friends this summer and, even though they are robotics enthusiasts like me, they don't know about FIRST Robotics.

Sure FRC is a big thing here in America and we have a few teams from all around the world, but the world is bigger than we imagine.

Being this said, is really cool that there are other robotics competitions that are FIRST-like in other parts in the world, so that everybody can experience what we did.

Mexico City Regional
Semifinalists 2014
Finalists 2015
Winners 2016
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's important to remember there is a distinction between celebrating others and putting one down. I don't think Andrew meant his comment to put down FIRST, only to use it as a comparison to celebrate RoboMaster!

That aside, this looks pretty baller. It's cool seeing the engineering designs and solutions on a competition much different from FIRST! Petition for 2018 to be a combat game anyone?

Work hard, play hard. And maybe someday...
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Some fun challenges in this game: bulk ball loading from an open top barrel, a super-rough-terrain defence, moving goals, laser tag?...

I hope they had longer than six weeks to build them, otherwise I'll feel pretty humbled 😀
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM
that Georgia girl
FRC #4468 (Fernbank LINKS)

kristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond reputekristinweiss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
Some fun challenges in this game: bulk ball loading from an open top barrel, a super-rough-terrain defence, moving goals, laser tag?...

I hope they had longer than six weeks to build them, otherwise I'll feel pretty humbled 😀
It looks like they give you around 9 months between registration and the actual competition, although the game stays pretty much the same from year to year so there is nothing stopping you from starting before registration.

FRC Survival Guide
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk.32 View Post
If we're going to view every compliment of an alternate robotics competition to FRC as an insult to FRC, there's no way we as a community can push FRC to new levels of success. It's important to see what others are doing and trying to emulate what they do well, while avoiding what they do poorly. The Robomaster group is clearly doing a lot right, and simply attributing their success to their financial backing is ignoring and disrespectful of their strategic plan.

There are two ways to compete in this world; you can rise above you opponent, or you can drag them down. I'd like to think that we're wise enough in the world of FRC to be constantly evaluating ways to learn from others in an effort to rise above. It's the approach that's better for everyone in the long run.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Business and Scouting Mentor
AKA: Richard McCann
FRC #1678 (Citrus Circuits)

Citrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond reputeCitrus Dad has a reputation beyond repute

This looks like it's following the eSports model that's so popular in east Asia. I see that Virginia Tech was in the finals, so I think this is aimed at college-age students, which explains why it's so elaborate and complex. It's not appropriate for high school competition.

Here's more on the RoboMasters: http://content.dji.com/robomasters-competition/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: