OCCRA
Go to Post I like what FIRST said about it best: They consider it part of the "Game Challenge" - Alavinus [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Griffin Alum
AKA: Colin Poler
FRC #1884 (The Griffins)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
ohrly? is an unknown quantity at this point
Powering the Raspberry Pi

For those of you with experience, how would you power the Raspberry Pi on your robot?

For those without experience, it is a small, cheap computer that runs on a microUSB cable, drawing 700mA @ 5V.

We need to power a camera as well, which is currently using the 5V port at the bottom of the PD board. Can we just splice the Raspberry Pi on?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Powering the Raspberry Pi

I'd use the 12v-5v converter to power the unit. The converter gives 5A, more than enough to run the Pi. The port on the distribution board gives out 3A, but with the camera on it, you have less than an amp left over. I've been running Pi's for awhile, they want a rock solid 5 volts, and 800ma to do high levels of computation, like video routines.
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM
FRC #3979

Mr_smith is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be careful interfacing with the RPi, though. Micro usb powers the board with 5V in, but voltage drops to 3.3V and most of the chips on the board are regulated at 3.3V. In/out pins are unprotected, meaning that if you put a 5V signal on a pin, you might fry the pin.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
no team (British Columbia FRC teams)

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

I'd just hook it up as a custom circuit.

Consider... you've got all sorts of 12V power available on the power distribution board. Throw a 20A breaker into one of those ports and get a "car charger" for a cell phone and you're done.

Consider that the 12V from your robot isn't any different from the 12V from your car's cigarette lighter. (Err... sorry... that's "power port" these days, thank goodness.)

Jason
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2013, 12:41 AM
FRC #4246 (Resurrected Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
Kyle R is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using Raspberry Pi's for our vision processing. To power them I made a custom power supply PCB with USB connectors to power up to 5 RPi's. If you want I can send you the files for it.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2013, 05:48 AM
Griffin Alum
FRC #1884 (The Griffins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster View Post
I'd use the 12v-5v converter to power the unit. The converter gives 5A, more than enough to run the Pi. The port on the distribution board gives out 3A, but with the camera on it, you have less than an amp left over. I've been running Pi's for awhile, they want a rock solid 5 volts, and 800ma to do high levels of computation, like video routines.
Won't the 5V converter already be powering the D-Link? Or can it provide for both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_smith View Post
I would be careful interfacing with the RPi, though. Micro usb powers the board with 5V in, but voltage drops to 3.3V and most of the chips on the board are regulated at 3.3V. In/out pins are unprotected, meaning that if you put a 5V signal on a pin, you might fry the pin.
We're only using power and ethernet. But I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle R View Post
We are using Raspberry Pi's for our vision processing. To power them I made a custom power supply PCB with USB connectors to power up to 5 RPi's. If you want I can send you the files for it.
We don't have equipment to build PCBs Are they commercially available?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Won't the 5V converter already be powering the D-Link? Or can it provide for both?
Sorry, I was trying to say use the 12->5v converter that AndyMark sells. It's inexpensive, has amperage capacity, mounting holes, and lets you put the converter on it's own breaker. Then there is never any question about power to the Raspberry Pi. It's also not a cheaply made part, it will stand up to the banging around that a robot takes during the season.
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Griffin Alum
FRC #1884 (The Griffins)

Awesome!

Turns out it has more than enough amperage for the network adapter and the Raspberry Pi. But the darn rules say that the raspberry pi cannot share the same power converter.

EDIT: It says that the no other load may be connected to the terminal at the bottom. Does this refer to the wireless bridge (which I assumed) or the 12v-5v power converter (which means anything could be attached to its 5v terminals)?

Last edited by ohrly? : 01-19-2013 at 07:27 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Programmer and Mentor
AKA: Mike Aalderink
FRC #3458 (Code Blue)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1999
Mike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to beholdMike AA is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Mike AA

I believe they are saying to buy another converter and simply connect it like you would anything else to the distribution board under a 20amp breaker.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: