OCCRA
Go to Post At least try to make sure other teams are aware of you. Don't be obnoxious, but don't be a wall flower either. - Joe Johnson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Discerning and exacting individual
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
JeVois Smart Machine Vision

Website is here:

https://www.jevoisinc.com

Quote:
JeVois = video sensor + quad-core CPU + USB video + serial port, all in a tiny, self-contained package (28 cc or 1.7 cubic inches). Insert a microSD card loaded with the provided open-source machine vision algorithms (including OpenCV 3.3 and many others), connect to your desktop, laptop, and/or Arduino, and give your projects the sense of sight immediately.
It's basically $50 for a ready-to-go vision system similar to the CMUCam/Pixy.

Even comes with a pneumatic device for cooling.

We haven't used it yet but it looks nifty.
Clarke's Laws
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 09:37 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JeVois Smart Machine Vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Even comes with a pneumatic device for cooling.
https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...d.php?t=146747
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 09:58 AM

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriMB View Post
Ohh... the old LRI-a-roo!
Clarke's Laws
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 10:09 AM
FF: Blucifer
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
Thayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond reputeThayer McCollum has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Marshall. What is Merriam-Webster's definition of "pneumatic device"?

Also, neat.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 10:21 AM
FRC #0885 (Bruce Force Trauma)

Rookie Year: 2015
SpruceyBrucey is an unknown quantity at this point

Forgive my lack of vision tracking knowledge but how would you use this on the robot?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 10:27 AM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
firecrafty will become famous soon enoughfirecrafty will become famous soon enough

This almost reminds me of this.

It even supports NEON instructions... Jaci's gonna be happy.

Also
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceyBrucey View Post
Forgive my lack of vision tracking knowledge but how would you use this on the robot?
Serial interface streams processed data to the RoboRIO.

"Programming is a science. Writing beautiful code is an art."
Any views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my team.

Last edited by firecrafty : 10-24-2017 at 10:30 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Ordered! I'll evaluate it before recommending it to 299 or 1072.

EDIT: Just got it in the mail. I'll post some updates if/when I get it working. Amazon Same-day shipping is available with it for a total of $50 if you have Prime!
You will need to supply your own micro SD card and mini-USB (not micro-usb) cable.

Last edited by asid61 : 10-25-2017 at 01:56 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2017, 01:11 AM
Design Simple

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would give a quick update:
After I ordered it, I dove right in with the basics of getting it setup on a Windows computer. I thought I needed Linux to program it, but it's possible to do it on a Windows computer if you're ok with taking slightly more time.
The steps I followed to get it working with the basics using the Jevois Quickstart guide:
1. Find a 16gb micro SD card and mini USB cable
2. Download the Jevois OS image
3. Flash image to microSD (I used Win32 Disk Imager to do this)
4. Plug in microSD and the miniUSB cable to computer
5. Use AMCap to view the Jevois video stream. AMCap lets you switch between camera modes easily.
6. Open Arduino software and open the Serial monitor to start the command interface with the Jevois. Make sure to set the "Newline" line ending instead of the default "None"; this confused me for a few minutes.
7. Send the "help" command and get a list of all commands and the current settings. You can control exposure, contrast, gain, brightness, color balance, and set them to be automatic or manual. The settings aren't saved so I have to resend it upon bootup.

All of the above took me 2 hours, of which 1/2 hour was finding a uSD and 1/2 hour was finding out that you had to use "newline" mode in the Arduino Serial monitor.

If you are using Windows or Mac to program the Jevois you have to run Python code instead of C++. You also can't run it easily on Windows as far as I know; you just have to let the Jevois find runtime errors. This can be frustrating if you are looking to get a lot of custom code working.

I viewed some of the resources on the Jevois website, but for FRC I wanted to be able to take code generated in Python by a GRIP pipeline and just deploy that to the Jevois. Specifically, I wanted to take an image, run an HSV filter on it, erode it, dilate it, find the contours, and filter the contours. This pipeline works for recognizing retroreflective tape in 99% of situations with the proper bright green LED ring and low exposure settings. I took the PythonSandbox example and experimented with copy/paste solutions, and finally found one that worked every time. I just took all the grip code and copied over the stuff in the "Process" function into the "Process" function of the Jevois, put the constants in the constructor, and put all static methods below all of that. Ran the filter with 0 runtime errors, and all I have to do now is plug in constants that GRIP gets me. My LED rings are coming in the mail in a few days, and once I confirm that this works consistently I'll write up a whitepaper.
All of that took me roughly 5 hours, of which most of was just tracking down syntax errors and finding out how to use the output settings of the Jevois. There's still some things I'm not sure about, such as how to change the resolution and FPS and how to run code not in the "sandbox" directory; I know it's possible but I haven't worked on this in a few days due to time crunch.

TL;DR: Jevois works great and I would 8/10 recommend it to teams, particularly those who have Linux programmers. I'll be putting up a whitepaper soon enough about using this.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2017, 02:24 AM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #2386 (Trojans)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nicecad321 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
TL;DR: Jevois works great and I would 8/10 recommend it to teams, particularly those who have Linux programmers. I'll be putting up a whitepaper soon enough about using this.
I'll be following this closely. I'm looking forward to reading about your results/experiences.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asid61 View Post
I received ours as well, it took me a bit less time to get rolling - I REALLY don't like the lack of echo on the serial line - but yeah... this thing is the perfect graduation present for teams who were using the pixy and now want something with a bit more horsepower. Don't expect a white paper from us about it unless we use it in an event or on a robot... but it's good.

Also the fan sounds like a pneumatic device after being shot by an FRC mentor for experimentation.
Clarke's Laws

Last edited by marshall : 10-31-2017 at 10:06 AM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2017, 09:42 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Going to third the above comments. Mine came in Saturday and I haven't had a TON of time to mess with it. It seems to work well. If Asid is writing a white paper good.

I can't stress how small this thing is.

My big complaint with it is that the microSD card slot is in a garbage location (it's too deep, the case makes inserting it much harder than it needs to be). Also, the lack of echo in terminal makes life harder but that's a minor hiccup.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2017, 10:42 AM
Red 5, standing by...
AKA: 7 years already
FRC #4296 (Trident Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
SteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud ofSteveGarward has much to be proud of

Just ordered one. While it's no Jetson, if it's sufficient for its size, I'll take it. At least it'll be fun to play with.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Design Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
I received ours as well, it took me a bit less time to get rolling - I REALLY don't like the lack of echo on the serial line - but yeah... this thing is the perfect graduation present for teams who were using the pixy and now want something with a bit more horsepower. Don't expect a white paper from us about it unless we use it in an event or on a robot... but it's good.

Also the fan sounds like a pneumatic device after being shot by an FRC mentor for experimentation.
+1, the fan is much louder than I would like. I'm considering replacing it with an aluminum heatsink and a much slower fan, or even just a quieter fan of the same size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Going to third the above comments. Mine came in Saturday and I haven't had a TON of time to mess with it. It seems to work well. If Asid is writing a white paper good.

I can't stress how small this thing is.

My big complaint with it is that the microSD card slot is in a garbage location (it's too deep, the case makes inserting it much harder than it needs to be). Also, the lack of echo in terminal makes life harder but that's a minor hiccup.
It really is tiny, even smaller than a Pixy I would argue in terms of effective volume. I had to push in the microSD with an SD card, but it's one of the nice holders that you feel a "click" in.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2017, 03:43 AM
FRC #4500
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2011
Loveless will become famous soon enough

Would anyone who has this please do a benchmark with various OpenCV functions (preferably in both C++ and Python) at various resolutions? While a tiny size is great and all, I feel another important metric is fps to $ ratio for your run of the mill OpenCV FRC code. That and the headaches that will inevitably arise when configuring the device for the first time.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-01-2017, 04:15 AM
Design Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveless View Post
Would anyone who has this please do a benchmark with various OpenCV functions (preferably in both C++ and Python) at various resolutions? While a tiny size is great and all, I feel another important metric is fps to $ ratio for your run of the mill OpenCV FRC code. That and the headaches that will inevitably arise when configuring the device for the first time.
I was running my simple pipeline around 100fps. I don't have the know-how to benchmark effectively but I can ask a 299 or 1072 member to look into it for me. As long as it runs at an appreciable speed I'm ok with what it does.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: