OCCRA
Go to Post Ah, this sounds like a sitcom whose pilot I should write and send to NBC - "Life With Lavery". There's a lot of eating, several practical jokes, and lots of bad hair. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:06 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute
FRC Blog - 2018 Beta Teams, Brushless Motors, and More!

https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...-specific-data

Quote:
Written by Jonathan Bryant, Kit of Parts Engineer, and Kevin O'Connor, Robotics Engineer.

Beta Teams
The 2018 FIRST Robotics Competition Control System Beta Test is underway and we wanted to share who this year’s teams are so you can keep an eye out for them sharing information about their experience with the Beta software. We sent out 10 Beta invites for each programming language and had 21 of the 30 accept. We had 55 total applications (8 C++, 35 Java, 11 LabVIEW) for the remaining spots with 44 accepted (all of the C++ and LabVIEW + 24 Java). You can find a list of all of the Beta test teams, their assigned language, and their locations (along with a map accessible by clicking the “Map of Location” tab) here.

We also have some information to share on 2 major changes that these Beta teams will be seeing in the software that they are testing: a new brushless motor/controller combo, and a Game Specific data API.

Nidec Dynamo BLDC Motor with Controller
The new brushless motor/controller combo that a small number of Beta teams will be testing is the Nidec Dynamo BLDC Motor with Controller. This small 12V DC Brushless motor/controller will be legal for the 2018 FIRST POWER UP Season, and will be available in FIRST Choice with additional units being sold by AndyMark.

We feel that this low power, integrated motor/controller combo is a great way to introduce brushless technology to FRC and are excited to have Nidec working to bring it to teams this season. Nidec has been working with FIRST to provide a custom cable harness with the motor to make the connection between the controller and the roboRIO as simple for teams as possible. We can’t wait to see what teams will do with this new technology this season!

Note: Teams will need the 2018 FIRST Robotics Competition software to control this motor correctly, so you will have to wait until Kickoff (and pay close attention to the documentation!) to start playing around with it. Until then, check out the datasheet here for more details about the electrical and mechanical specs.

Note 2: Are you unsure about brushless motors? No problem! Since its inception, FIRST Robotics Competition has allowed only brushed motors. However, brushless motors are widely used in many industries! For more information about the difference between the two, check out this link.

Game Data API
The other thing that Beta teams will be seeing is a new software API to provide teams with Game Specific data on the field (though it just looks a lot like an empty box until Kickoff). We’re not quite ready to reveal what this will be used for in 2018 (and beyond!), but we do want to share a bit about the implementation for those who may not keep close tabs on the Beta.

Starting this year, WPILib, in all 3 languages, will have APIs to access a Game Specific data string which will contain information sent from the Field Management System to the Robot (via the Driver Station). There will also be a new text box in the Driver Station which will allow teams to simulate this functionality when testing at home. The implementation has been kept as generic as possible to allow for maximum flexibility as we use this new feature in future years.

Keep your eyes peeled after Kickoff for documentation and examples about what will be contained in this Game Specific Data for 2018 and how to parse it in your Robot Code. Until then, let your imagination run wild about what the Field might have to say to your Robot!
You asked for it, you got it x2!

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

Last edited by cgmv123 : 10-27-2017 at 12:10 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:17 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC Blog - 2018 Beta Teams, Brushless Motors, and More!

This is awesome news on both fronts. Looking forward to it, especially the game data API. We will probably be able to get a field clock reading, from the actual field!

The brushless motor is pretty low-power, but that's probably a good way to ease teams into the world of brushless motor control.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:17 PM
AKA: inkling16
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Real-time match info!?! If so, I'm going to be really upset if they don't publish the data online.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:24 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)

cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

If I read the datasheet right, these are the numbers for the brushless motor to plug into the JVN Motor Calculator:

Code:
Free Speed (RPM)	Stall Torque (N-m)	Stall Current (Amp)	Free Current (Amp)
2700	0.3178	6.5	0.28

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:26 PM
The Blue Alliance
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
Real-time match info!?! If so, I'm going to be really upset if they don't publish the data online.
+1

If not, time to build a logging library and crowdsource the logs for upload to TBA

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-2014)

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay | TBA Android App | TBA Blog
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:31 PM
AKA: inkling16
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Caleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond reputeCaleb Sykes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Fang View Post
+1

If not, time to build a logging library and crowdsource the logs for upload to TBA
I was just thinking about something like that. I would be happy to contribute to this effort if we have to go this route.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:32 PM
FRC #2849 (ursa major)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
bearbot is just really nicebearbot is just really nicebearbot is just really nicebearbot is just really nicebearbot is just really nice

Game data could end up being the number of scored game pieces and live score so we don't have to look at the screen .I would love to see a complicated scoring platform for this year but I'm leading toward a simple scoring system and a open field

FRC Events:
Chesapeake Regional Rookie inspiration award 2009
Offseason Event:
Battle O'BAltimore Champions 2010

FRC Teams :
2849 Ursa Major (Student 2009-2011) (Mentor2011- Current)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
This is awesome news on both fronts. Looking forward to it, especially the game data API. We will probably be able to get a field clock reading, from the actual field!
There is so much potential for this. Game clock plus score data could be used to provide some real-time strategy recommendations to the drive coach. Using this last year as an example, you could theoretically put in some information each match - cycle time, which robots you expect to be able to climb - and the driver station could tell you at a glance "Go get one more gear!" or "Shoot in 6 more balls!" or "You got this, go climb now!". Being able to program in those types of limits and guidelines could take a lot of pressure off the drive coach position during the match!
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM
Data wins arguments.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Sykes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Fang View Post
+1

We have ideas
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM
AKA: Tim Flynn
FRC #1257 (Parallel Universe), #1228 (RoboTribe)

Rookie Year: 2012
tjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond reputetjf has a reputation beyond repute

It's FIRSTmas guys! And it's not even kickoff! Brushless motors, FMS data, it's a dream come true!

1257 (2016) - Student
1257 (2017-Present) - Overactive Alumn | 1228 (2017-Present) - I do stuff
KD2KRT
My ideas and comments are my own, bla bla bla. If I say anything blatantly wrong, please do me the favor of correcting me. Learning is one thing I'd rather like to keep doing.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:43 PM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

So long as the game data doesn't become the next GearScore, this should be fun. Custom scoring displays tailored to telling me how far ahead/behind we are of the opponents in the individual game functions has been a dream.

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:45 PM
Simple Design
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not too impressed with the new motor. I can't imagine when I would use it compared to a 550 or BAG. It's larger and much lower power. Hopefully this leads to a better brushless option in the coming years.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 12:58 PM
github.com/tervay
AKA: Justin
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
jtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud ofjtrv has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseK View Post
So long as the game data doesn't become the next GearScore, this should be fun. Custom scoring displays tailored to telling me how far ahead/behind we are of the opponents in the individual game functions has been a dream.
Did not expect to see GearScore mentioned on CD... What an experience that was.

OT: This is awesome. Thank you FIRST. I now have yet another FRC project to do...
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Zot Zot Zot
AKA: Saikiran Ramanan
FRC #3476 (Code Orange)

saikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond reputesaikiranra has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool stuff! I really hope some of this game specific data will be accessible in the future through WebSockets. It would be very useful for custom dashboards and easy for teams to get started using the data in an intuitive manner.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Alumnus of 2059
AKA: Christian Colglazier
FRC #2642 (Pitt Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2008
AquaMorph is on a distinguished road

This all sounds really promising. I cannot wait to see the clever ways teams will use this data in future. Hopefully this data will also be publicly available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: