OCCRA
Go to Post bedtime? there's no bedtime while chief delphi is up and running! - Alex Cormier [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Eh... Close enough.
AKA: Elliott Budd
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
ElliottB is on a distinguished road
How do teams pass knowledge down?

I saw there were several threads similar, but I felt this was somewhat unique enough to post. So this year we have a large rookie base with some veterans, most of them seniors (including me) who will of course graduate this year. How do teams pass down the technical knowledge through the years when the we have core people leaving next year? What can I do as the lead student to help acquire that knowledge? I can say we have discussed having little classes on sensors, wheels, drive trains, vision processing, etc before build season.

2016-Tippecanoe and Perry Meridian winners with (1024,1747) Indiana semifinalists with (135,3559) Archimedes quarterfinalists with (1540,1671,236) IRI quarterfinals with (179,1806,233)
2015-present FRC #45 TechnoKats
2017-present Tech lead #45

2016-present FTC #11130 RoboKats
2066-present Team captain #11130
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 09:23 AM
FRC #4131 (Iron Patriots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Drakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of lightDrakxii is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How do teams pass knowledge down?

Make the rookies do it with veterans leading/guiding. Instead of having them watch the veterans do it.

Pantherbots Former Mentor, Distance Support - #2582 Lufkin, TX
Iron Patriots Software, Electronics and Pneumatic Mentor - #4131 Renton, WA
The Robot Inspector with the Red Beard
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 09:51 AM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

One word: Mentors.

A few more words: Documentation, training, pairing 1-2 rookies with each veteran student to shadow / assist / apprentice, getting rookie "hands-on time" whenever possible (outside of a time crunch), fall prototype robots, summer projects.
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:00 AM
FRC #6101 (Strange Quarks Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2016
6101 Robert is on a distinguished road

I'll define "core members" as all of the students that, if they were to suddenly walk-out, would effectively dissolve the team, even if everyone else stayed and tried their hardest.

Our team is in a similar pickle: all of the experience and leadership is concentrated into juniors and seniors. We've been putting a lot of time into training rookies and documenting procedures this off-season, and I think we're going to ultimately be successful. In other words, the advice in this thread is really solid. You should also try to incorporate newer students into leadership roles whenever possible, so that they become core members themselves.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:08 AM
AKA: Aditya Bhatia
FRC #0900 (♞Zebracorns♞)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2017
adityab25 is a jewel in the roughadityab25 is a jewel in the roughadityab25 is a jewel in the roughadityab25 is a jewel in the rough

As many of the other posts were saying, mentor the younger students so they become "core students" themselves and can lead the team. Many students learn by doing instead of seeing so actually have them complete some electrical wiring, setting up sensors, etc. Our team also creates a simulation challenge in the fall to help new members get familiar with the process before build season and by designing a robot themselves they learn about many problems faced during build season and how to overcome them, leaving them more prepared for build season.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Made in Wisconsin
AKA: Katie Widen
FRC #1296
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2008
Katie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond reputeKatie_UPS has a reputation beyond repute

Make the students ask other students for help/their question/etc. before asking a mentor. Similarly, pair up new students with old students to learn skills. In the preseason when we're working on things, I tell the older students they cannot touch the robot and have to guide the new student to do x/y/z task. In training, always require that the less experienced person is doing the task (unless safety is a concern).

a) Utilizes knowledge of students who may be more relatable and can explain it in terms they understand (some mentors teach calc when a kid is asking about algebra).

b) Mentors have less load and can spend more time answering harder questions.

note: My mentoring goal is to enable my students to need me as little as possible.

Last edited by Katie_UPS : 11-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Driver/Webmaster
AKA: Nathan Strodtbeck
FRC #5980 (East Grand Rapids Robotics)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2016
NathanStro is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: How do teams pass knowledge down?

Our team writes an engineering log everyday we do anything even remotely important from business to build. This serves two purposes. We can highlight problems and solutions we faced and pass them on through the years but also judges love to see an engineering log (that's whats gotten us most of our awards). In this we include photos, code, and math to better explain. Hope this help u guys, it sure helps us.

egrrobotics.org
Its not about the robot
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Expert Flybot Crasher
FRC #1885 (ILITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Drive Coach, 1885 (2007-present)
Latest Project: Codex-based FRC Comms in Java

2017: Scoring Model | COPR Rank Simulator
1885: YouTube Channel | CAD Library | GitHub
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

The most critical part of our program has been peer mentorship.
We absolutely count on more experienced students to help teach the newer ones.
Not just engineering, machining and STEM skill sets, but more importantly, work-place readiness skills, work ethics, and Grit!

As a 7-12 school and program, having kids with 5-6 years of experience has been very beneficial to new students.

2017 World Championship Woodie Flowers Award Winner
2017 World Championship Darwin Division Finalist Award
2017 Greater Pittsburgh Regional Champions, #1 seed, Safety Award, Entrepreneurship Award
2017 Palmetto Regional Champions, #2 seed, Safety Award
2016 Hawaii Regional #1 seed, IDesign, Safety Award
2016 NY Tech Valley Regional Champions, #1 seed, Innovation in Controls Award
2016 Lake Superior Regional Champions, #1 seed, Quality Award, Dean's List
2015 FRC Worlds-Carver Division Champions
2015 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed.
2015 Australia Regional Champions, #2 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2015 Inland Empire Regional Champions, #1 seed, Industrial Design Award
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 11:16 PM
FRC #2485 (W.A.R. Lords)

Rookie Year: 2015
Liam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond reputeLiam Fay has a reputation beyond repute

We have a bigs and littles system - each new member is paired with a veteran one of a similar interest. Also, our students teach dozens of training classes weekly to the newbies.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 11:36 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

Similar to others, but I'll tell you our exact method of having veterans transfer knowledge. There are two main methods:
  • Between September and October, we participate in BEST Robotics, which by design discourages adult involvement in hands-on tasks. we take it one step beyond, and have our veteran students serve in the adult mentor role, while the robot is designed, built, coded and driven by the new students. BEST robots are very simple, but since they are not assembled from parts like VEX, the students learn a lot about machining in the process. Probably the biggest plus is that the 6 week build season mimics that of FIRST.
  • At the same time, and through the entire fall semester, we have our students participate in an off-season build, using the same methods and materials we will use for the upcoming FIRST game. Learning to make and rivet gussets, cut standard stock, run the mill and the CNC, CAD the design, etc. is all invaluable, and since the veterans work side by side with the new kids it builds comraderie.

Remember why you're doing this.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Baseball hat kid
AKA: Marcus Bernstein
FRC #1836 (Milkenknights)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2013
marcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond reputemarcusbernstein has a reputation beyond repute

I talk about this all the time in my team culture presentations. In most cases with FRC, a veteran teaching a rookie a skill is not enough. Say I'm teaching someone new how to cad a drivetrain. I can teach them the skills, watch Adam's ramp videos with them, but if come season they sit back while I do the drivetrain, they won't be comfortable doing it when I graduate. However, by going through the process with them, designing a drivetrain and even making it if possible, they can learn by failure, iterate on their designs, and truly go through that learning process. On 1836, we don't just let new students do things for continuity, it's gotten to the point where our new students (especially this year in manufacturing) are critical parts of the whole robot process. Spending a week teaching a new student lathe basics means they can spend that same time in build season doing a robot's worth of lathe work.

Don't just teach new students so they're ready to do stuff when you graduate. Teach new students so they can contribute while you're still around, then take your high-level knowledge to help provide experience (design reviews, advice, etc.) as they gain experience of their own.

"Once you've concluded that it isn't a code problem, it isn't an electrical problem, and it isn't a mechanical problem, after all that blaming you now have a culture problem."
"Precedence is no excuse for being wrong."
"Aesthetics are great, but not at the expense of functionality."
"An entire team rallied around a potentially wrong decision is better than half a team rallied around the right one. And if that potentially wrong decision ends up being the right one, that unified team will be successful."

My views do not necessarily represent the views of my team or any other groups I am affiliated with.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Standing on their shoulders
FRC #0832

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakxii View Post
Make the rookies do it with veterans leading/guiding. Instead of having them watch the veterans do it.
Re-quoted for truth.

Literally, Seniors may not make anything on the robot: Underclassmen must do it all. Trust me, they'll learn enough for next year.

Fair warning: It is darn hard to keep your hands off. Do your best.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: