OCCRA
Go to Post If you're doing it to win, you're doing it wrong. Teams who truly understand why they are doing what they do will win Chairman's simply as a result, an added benefit. The award isn't the goal. It's the impact you create, and the results you see. - dcarr [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Failing to keep marshall in check
AKA: Patricia Beekman
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
pabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond repute
Ideas to improve friendliness/graciousness on CD?

In a large online community like CD, there should always be room to improve the level of discourse. Anyone have interesting ideas for how CD could be made a friendlier place? These can be anything from general suggestions on how the culture on here can foster friendliness, to suggestions on how the site itself can be changed (with apologies to Brandon in advance).

Credit to this thread (https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...=160018&page=3) for bringing up the idea. For discussion on how bad/how good the environment is on CD, I suggest folks post there. I just want to separate the constructive suggestions people might have from any debate going on in that thread.

Iíll start off with an idea:
Before new users submit a post, a confirmation dialog could appear providing guidelines/reminders about posting etiquette. This would not only help new users start on the right foot, but also serve as a friendly reminder when people try posting on throwaway accounts.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:41 PM
The GreenHorns Team Lead
AKA: Ryan Swanson
FRC #4607 (C.I.S.)
Team Role: Mentor

Ginger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ideas to improve friendliness/graciousness on CD?

BAN WIL PAYNE!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Mythically Obsessed Sorta-Leader
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Power View Post
BAN WIL PAYNE!
She may have to look within her own team to do so, based on the quote below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall View Post
Wil Payne is really a botnet run by Zebracorn students

My ideas, comments, and opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my team, sponsors, or school. Always feel free to PM me.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Failing to keep marshall in check
AKA: Patricia Beekman
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)

pabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond reputepabeekm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Power View Post
BAN WIL PAYNE!
Weíre looking for feasible options here. Wil Payne is a force that canít be stopped.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Mythically Obsessed Sorta-Leader
AKA: Danny Berkson
FRC #2491 (No Mythic)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2015
nomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud ofnomythicalbeast has much to be proud of

In all seriousness, the best idea that I have is for posters to denote when they are being sarcastic (because some people have a very hard time understanding sarcasm) and to stay away from any ideas that are negative toward a particular individual, team, company, etc., even when it's the head ref after the still-hard-to-justify Southern Cross scandal, for a recent example.

With that said, as someone who is active on almost all major social networks, Chief Delphi is one of the friendliest places I've stumbled across. No website is perfect, and CD can definitely use improvement at times, but it's really good compared to some of the appalling absences of basic decency I see on a near-daily basis.

My ideas, comments, and opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of my team, sponsors, or school. Always feel free to PM me.

Last edited by nomythicalbeast : 11-10-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 09:02 PM
6th Gear Developer; Mentor
AKA: Blake Ross
no team (6th Gear)

Rookie Year: 2006
gblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond reputegblake has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabeekm View Post
I’ll start off with an idea:
Before new users submit a post, a confirmation dialog could appear providing guidelines/reminders about posting etiquette. This would not only help new users start on the right foot, but also serve as a friendly reminder when people try posting on throwaway accounts.
This suggestion is being written half "tongue-in-cheek", and half deadly-serious.

Any confirmation dialog should notify potential-posters that:

A) Asking simple questions without first searching for the answer on your own is a bit rude,

B) Asking about a complex topic without first searching on your own should be done by asking for help doing a search, not by asking for "the answer",

C) Posters should not revive a dead-horse, contentious subject without
C.1) first searching for and studying past discussions of that topic, and
C.2) ensuring that they are going to add something truly new to the subject, and

D) When a search (see A) and B), above) turns up an old thread full of useful information about a topic; adding to that useful information by reviving the existing thread to ask or contribute something new (instead of spamming a new/duplicate thread into existence), is the right thing to do.

Following these suggestions would definitely reduce instances of reader-irritation that sometimes cascade into an "uncivil" discussion.

They are also useful suggestions to carry into many career-settings.

Blake
Words/phrases I avoid: basis, mitigate, leveraging, transitioning, impact (instead of affect/effect), facilitate, programmatic, problematic, issue (instead of problem), latency (instead of delay), dependency (instead of prerequisite), connectivity, usage & utilize (instead of use), downed, functionality, functional, power on, descore, alumni (instead of alumnus/alumna), the enterprise, methodology, nomenclature, form factor (instead of size or shape), competency, modality, provided(with), provision(ing), irregardless/irrespective, signage, colorized, pulsating, ideate

Last edited by gblake : 11-11-2017 at 12:43 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 09:36 PM
anonymous internet person
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
A) Asking simple questions without first searching for the answer on your own is a bit rude,
Conversely, if someone posts a question and is new to the forums, responding along the lines of "Use the search bar, jeez" is also rude. Most people are turned off of hobbies when on their first encounter with the community they are called out for doing things the wrong way. But, maybe that's why CD seems like such a nice place? You won't have any low quality posts if everyone is afraid to post!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Director of Programs, GOFIRST
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FTC #9205 (The Iron Maidens)

Rookie Year: 2009
cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_forbes View Post
Conversely, if someone posts a question and is new to the forums, responding along the lines of "Use the search bar, jeez" is also rude. Most people are turned off of hobbies when on their first encounter with the community they are called out for doing things the wrong way. But, maybe that's why CD seems like such a nice place? You won't have any low quality posts if everyone is afraid to post!
I view "Please search the archives" as a sort of kindness in even posting in the thread. Especially since my default for threads when the OP should have done some googling or searching before posting is to just ignore them. Eric Raymond's guide to asking smart questions has served me well over the years.

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
'Snow Problem CAD Files: 2015 2016
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16)
VEXU UMN (2015-??)
Volunteer since 2011
2013 RCA Winner (North Star Regional) (2220)
2016 Connect Award Winner (North Super Regional and World Championship) (9205)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 11:06 PM
FRC #6420 (Fire Island Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2014
MuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really niceMuskieProgramme is just really nice

As a counterpoint to B, remember the xy problem is usually present when this does happen. In many cases I would prefer someone to ask about their problem generally than ask about a solution which does not solve the problem.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-10-2017, 11:17 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblake View Post
This suggestion being written half "tongue-in-cheek", and half deadly-serious.

Any confirmation dialog should notify potential-posters that:

B) Asking about a complex topic without first searching on your own should be done by asking for help doing a search, not by asking for "the answer",

C) Posters should not revive a dead-horse, contentious subject without
C.1) first searching for and studying past discussions of that topic, and
C.2) ensuring that they are going to add something truly new to the subject, and

D) When a search (see A) and B), above) turns up an old thread full of useful information about a topic; adding to that useful information by reviving the existing thread to ask or contribute something new (instead of spamming a new/duplicate thread into existence), is the right thing to do.

Following these suggestions would definitely reduce instances of reader-irritation that sometimes cascade into an "uncivil" discussion.

They are also useful suggestions to carry into many career-settings.

Blake
Serious counterpoint to D:

If the old thread is over about a year old (depending on context, of course--use best judgement) sometimes the better option is to start a new thread and reference the old one. Otherwise you get the "Holy ancient thread revival, Batman!" (or similar) response.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Software + Drive Coach
AKA: Sam Maier
FRC #4917 (Sir Lancerbot)

microbuns is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I think anonymity contributes to a lot of the unfriendlyness/trolling here. I think that this is a forum where it's okay for people to know who you are, and especially which team you represent.

I'm not one to move against anonymous accounts, since there are certainly valid times to have anonymous accounts (eg. asking about internal team issues, Looking Forward). However, anonymous accounts (from what I've seen) cause a disproportionate amount of trouble.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 02:07 AM
AKA: Eli Barnett
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

Rookie Year: 2008
Oblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond reputeOblarg has a reputation beyond repute

My two cents:

Avoid sarcasm and snark in good-faith discussions. Seriously. This isn't hard.

In-jokes are funny only to the people who get them, and confusing and/or annoying to those who don't. Don't post them in serious threads (or in threads that might reasonably be mistaken as serious), and especially do not mock people who aren't "in" on your personal web of marginally-funny memes.

Ask yourself the following questions before hitting the submit button: "What do I want to accomplish by posting this?" and "Is this post likely to accomplish that?"

Member, FRC Team 449: 2007-2010
Drive Mechanics Lead, FRC Team 449: 2009-2010
Alumnus/Technical Mentor, FRC Team 449: 2010-Present
Lead Technical Mentor, FRC Team 4464: 2012-2015
Technical Mentor, FRC Team 5830: 2015-2016
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 10:31 AM
User
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Simple - get over the misguided notion that opinions have value. Stop spewing crap and people won't call you out on it. That's probably the biggest cause of people feeling "attacked" I see on here.

The other one is asking questions that are easily answered, someone like me comes along has no patience to deal with the 15th person to ask a question that's easily verified in the rule book and just tells them to RTFM. Then they whine it's not a friendly place when in reality they are just too lazy to bother.

And it's not just on CD that it's a problem - just this morning I had someone at the local makerspace complain that the training on a piece of equipment didn't show them EXACTLY how to make their project because it didn't go over how to clean up, or how to choose the right bit, or what materials were allowed. (As the person who did the training the answers are "you're an adult, if you can't figure out how to brush up sawdust please don't use the tool", "that is highly project and material specific and a lot of it boils down to experience, when you HAVE a project let's talk", and "no, I covered that. Also, it's a wood router so... common sense") In general - people need to take responsibility to learn about their questions, most of them can be answered far better by doing the research yourself.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 11:49 AM
AKA: Fred Thompson
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
Tartan47 is a name known to allTartan47 is a name known to allTartan47 is a name known to allTartan47 is a name known to allTartan47 is a name known to allTartan47 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Simple - get over the misguided notion that opinions have value. Stop spewing crap and people won't call you out on it. That's probably the biggest cause of people feeling "attacked" I see on here.
Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the nature of this statement, but I'm not sure I agree with it. I tend to think this is one of the important tenets of online forums including CD - allowing users to post their opinions and have healthy discussions of opposing viewpoints.

To your point and the original question, it's certainly important to maintain the line between healthy discussion of opposing viewpoints and personal attacks on the original poster. In order to accomplish this on CD, I at least personally tend to look up to and attempt to emulate some of the more respected posters within our community in how they are able to discuss topics/ask questions and maintain respect for others who may disagree with them
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Professional Multitasker
AKA: Samuel Perkowsky
no team
Team Role: College Student

Sperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond reputeSperkowsky has a reputation beyond repute

Avoid personal attacks and use the reputation button less frequently.

Pretty disheartening for a new member to get red dotted into oblivion because their opinion differed from a few others people. You shouldn't red dot someone unless they truly are out of line.

Team 2869 Captain/Driver 2014-2017

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: