OCCRA
Go to Post They built these gyms in the 50's-70's in order to temporarily appease the requirements of high school basketball. However, the Indiana superintendents' plans were to really make these arenas ideal for FRC off-season and district events. It's true. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 11:28 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0841 (Biomechs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
s-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond repute
pic: Machined shifter shaft bearing holder

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2017, 11:30 PM
Speaking for myself, not my team
AKA: Brendan Simons
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2014
nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Machined shifter shaft bearing holder

We made the attached version of the same part in 2014 (when we were putting entirely too much load on our ball shifter-as-winch). It's nice because it's only one piece, but you do need a special t-slot cutter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ivcqewkif...PLING.PDF?dl=0
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 03:42 AM
The Philadelphian emigrant
AKA: Ari Meles-Braverman
FRC #5987 (Galaxia)

Rookie Year: 2012
AriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond reputeAriMB has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearnerd View Post
We made the attached version of the same part in 2014 (when we were putting entirely too much load on our ball shifter-as-winch). It's nice because it's only one piece, but you do need a special t-slot cutter:

I'm not sure I'm reading this drawing 100% correctly, but what is keeping the bearing from sliding out of its slot?
2012-2016: Member FRC 423 Captian, Programmer (LabVIEW), Electrical, CAD, Manipulator, Chassis, Business, Outreach (everything)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 07:21 AM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

nuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond reputenuclearnerd has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, but it doesn't need to be kept there. Both the cylinder rod and the shifter shaft are already constrained in their assemblies so they will stay collinear.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 08:24 AM
\_(ツ)_/
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #3929 (Atomic Dragons); fmr. FRC #228 (GUS) & FRC #2791 (Shaker)

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good way to make this with the small bearing. If you are willing to use a bigger piece of stock, you can use some snap rings to make this sort of mechanism in just one piece. Look up the old aluminum shifter cones that WCP used to sell (they might still sell them?)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-2015) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Regional Finalists (with 20, 3182), 2012 BAE Finalists (with 1519, 885)
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Regional Winners (with 2826, 2470)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 03:10 PM
AKA: Sam
FRC #0841 (Biomechs)

Rookie Year: 2009
s-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond reputes-neff has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Ooh I really like this - especially how much easier it would make assembly/disassembly. Pity about the t-slot cutter, that's probably the easiest way to make it though.

I assume your 'high load' reference is why it's steel?

Putting my "janky robotics ideas" cap on... here's a concept for a hacksaw-and-hand-drill version. Take 1/2" square tubing, run a slot on one side to collar the bearing and make a hole on the other for the piston. Use a pair of jam nuts to mount the piston, using the tip of the piston to locate the end of the shifter shaft? The packaging is kind of a nightmare and the whole thing will end up sweeping through a much wider area due to the square profile.

...but you can make it with a drill and a hacksaw...

https://imgur.com/MXy08r1

Mods, maybe these threads should merge https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...hreadid=160053
Student - Team 192 (2009 - 2010)
Work:
SunPower Systems, Product Engineering - Utility Power Plants (2015 - ? )
BSci, Mechanical Engineering, UCLA (2010-2015)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 03:25 PM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-neff View Post
...but you can make it with a drill and a hacksaw...

https://imgur.com/MXy08r1

Mods, maybe these threads should merge https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/s...hreadid=160053
Yep, that would work in a pinch. The only issue is the bearing wouldn't contact the coupling on the push stroke, so you'd be rubbing a spinning shaft against a stationary one. If you could add a couterbore or washer on the inside of the tube, it might work better.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 03:41 PM
3574 - The King's of Bling
AKA: Jim
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)

Rookie Year: 2012
InFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond reputeInFlight has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
This is a good way to make this with the small bearing. If you are willing to use a bigger piece of stock, you can use some snap rings to make this sort of mechanism in just one piece. Look up the old aluminum shifter cones that WCP used to sell (they might still sell them?)
These are still used on at least one of their products. The Part number WCP-0126.

These are a two piece design, with a back disk which is retained by three 4-40 bolts. There are two bearings (R2 Sized) located in the cone. The cone has three rear bolt threads, and a single forward thread to mate with the pneumatic cylinder.

We machined the pneumatic actuator threads on these cones last year to match our actuator.

CAD for the entire gearbox with the shifter is located at:
http://www.wcproducts.net/cad/WCP-00...WCD)-STEPP.zip

Last edited by InFlight : 11-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 03:52 PM
Nuts N' Bolts
AKA: Skye Leake
FRC #0876 (Thunder Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
Skyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant futureSkyehawk has a brilliant future

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something here, but what is to stop me from using a woodruff key cutter and an endmill to do the operation of the expensive (comparatively) t-slot cutter?** It could all be done in 1 setup on the mill (save swapping out the tapdrill, tap, endmill & woodruff from the spindle). If you used the TIG wire technique for squaring the stock in the mill vise you wouldn't even need to part off in a lathe and could just use a hacksaw to rough to length.

** for that matter I could also use a small boring head... but there are always 100 ways to hold and machine most common sized stock.

2011 Lake Superior Regional Champs (Thanks 2512 & 3747)
2015 Central Illinois Regional Engineering Inspiration Award Recipients
2016 Central Illinois Regional Champs (Thanks 2481 & 2220)
2017 Northern Lights Regional Chairmans Award Recipients
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2017, 06:03 PM
FRC #5406 (Celt-X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyehawk View Post
Maybe I am missing something here, but what is to stop me from using a woodruff key cutter and an endmill to do the operation of the expensive (comparatively) t-slot cutter?**
You could definitely use a 3/8 woodruff key cutter instead

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: