OCCRA
Go to Post HEY! a robot that occupies 4 dimensional space is against the rules! - KenWittlief [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 08:54 AM
FRC #1756
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
Bpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond repute
Talon SRX Stand Alone?

Is there any tool that allows you to run a Talon SRX by itself. Similar to how you can run a PWM motor controller with http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2671.htm. This would be really nice if you could and still access all the controller nice motor controller feature the Talon SRX has.
2015 Newton Quality Award
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
Um, I smell Motor!
AKA: Scott McBride
FRC #2137 (TORC)

Rookie Year: 2005
tr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond reputetr6scott has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Talon SRX Stand Alone?

That product is using an Arduino controller to send the pwm to the motor controller, in a nice package. CTRE sells the Hero controller, to talk CAN to the SRX in much the same manner.

http://www.ctr-electronics.com/control-system/hro.html

You need to come up with the nice packaging, and the potentiometer.
- 3rd Alliance Captain - Finalist
- 4th Alliance Captain
- RANK 29
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:12 AM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

You could either use the Motor Meter connected to the SRX, if you use it in PWM mode, OR you can use the CTRE Hero which has CANTalon support built in. Alternatively you could use any other CAN-enabled microcontroller development board, but you'd probably have to make a library.

edit: sniped
2017-: FIRST Volunteer - 2017 North Champs Student Ambassador
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:15 AM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)

firecrafty will become famous soon enoughfirecrafty will become famous soon enough

There is not a way to run a TalonSRX over CAN (with control loops, voltage ramping, etc.) without a RoboRIO or CTRE's own Hero board. However, you can still use the SRX in PWM mode using the product you mentioned.

edit: sniped so hard

"Programming is a science. Writing beautiful code is an art."
Any views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my team.

Last edited by firecrafty : 11-14-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: sniped
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:16 AM
FRC #5115 (Knight Riders)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2015
brian5115 is on a distinguished road

My question would be what exact features you need, and in what situation is it too much work to do with a RoboRIO?

We use a Thrifty Throttle mainly to test prototypes, and in those cases we're not trying to do any kind of closed feedback, voltage compensation, etc. that we do on the finished mechanism. It's possible to wire a Talon SRX to take a PWM signal, but I wouldn't dedicate such an expensive part to something that a Spark or Victor can do the same.

If you want to avoid writing code, you can do some stuff with the Talons through the RoboRIO web interface (I haven't looked into this very much beyond "blink LED" to make sure I have the right id's). But it sounds to me like you want to cut out most of the control system entirely. I don't think there's any easy way to do that.

2016:
District Event Winner - Northern Maryland
Excellence in Engineering - Northern Maryland

2017:
District Event Winner - Central Maryland
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM
FRC #1756

Bpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond reputeBpk9p4 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5115 View Post
My question would be what exact features you need, and in what situation is it too much work to do with a RoboRIO?

We use a Thrifty Throttle mainly to test prototypes, and in those cases we're not trying to do any kind of closed feedback, voltage compensation, etc. that we do on the finished mechanism. It's possible to wire a Talon SRX to take a PWM signal, but I wouldn't dedicate such an expensive part to something that a Spark or Victor can do the same.

If you want to avoid writing code, you can do some stuff with the Talons through the RoboRIO web interface (I haven't looked into this very much beyond "blink LED" to make sure I have the right id's). But it sounds to me like you want to cut out most of the control system entirely. I don't think there's any easy way to do that.
what i would like to do i have a setup so we could tune a PID controller really fast for prototypes using the web interface without having to write any code. Since we do not have many Roborio around. This could also be a easy way to teach students how PID work
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 10:15 AM
AKA: Ryan Blue
FRC #1018 (Pike RoboDevils)

firecrafty will become famous soon enoughfirecrafty will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpk9p4 View Post
what i would like to do i have a setup so we could tune a PID controller really fast for prototypes using the web interface without having to write any code. Since we do not have many Roborio around. This could also be a easy way to teach students how PID work
You can't tune PID with the web interface, it does require code to work. To teach PID you could use an Arduino, but that requires some overhead. I would recommend setting up a test bench type setup with a few motors and sensors and a RoboRIO and using PID to control the motors (set to a certain position, hold at a set speed).

"Programming is a science. Writing beautiful code is an art."
Any views I express are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my team.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 11:19 AM
FRC #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecrafty View Post
You can't tune PID with the web interface, it does require code to work. To teach PID you could use an Arduino, but that requires some overhead. I would recommend setting up a test bench type setup with a few motors and sensors and a RoboRIO and using PID to control the motors (set to a certain position, hold at a set speed).
Good to know. We currently do the test setup with the roborio just would be nice to get a cheap version so we could have a more 1 to 1 robot to student ratio
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 11:29 AM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Patrick Hurley
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2013
phurley67 will become famous soon enough

As mentioned the HERO board, which has a number of modules including a screen, can be had pretty cheap (especially relative to the price of a RoboRIO), but the packaging and the code for a nice interface (the HERO programs in C#) is on you.

Having a code/rio free method to tune PIDs on the talon would be nice. I bet by the time I get around to it, CTR will have their own version better than the one I will throw together.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 01:22 PM
FRC #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurley67 View Post
As mentioned the HERO board, which has a number of modules including a screen, can be had pretty cheap (especially relative to the price of a RoboRIO), but the packaging and the code for a nice interface (the HERO programs in C#) is on you.

Having a code/rio free method to tune PIDs on the talon would be nice. I bet by the time I get around to it, CTR will have their own version better than the one I will throw together.
yea i am thinking about doing something on the HERO. Could be a fun project
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Hero + logitech F710
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Patrick Hurley
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

phurley67 will become famous soon enough

Hero + GADGETEER WIFI MODULE and just connect with your phone.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 04:37 PM
FRC #1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by phurley67 View Post
Hero + GADGETEER WIFI MODULE and just connect with your phone.
now that would be cool
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Design Simple
AKA: Anand Rajamani
FRC #1072 (Harker Robotics)

asid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond reputeasid61 has a reputation beyond repute

I would do HERO + display + controller. Display to display your selections and the controller to modify PID constants. Altogether around $100 but it can control your whole robot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: