Go to Post Moreover, lets discuss robots, its more fun :p - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > Scouting
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
College Student
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute
OPR Formula

This is going to sound extremely stupid, but what is the formula for OPR?

Thanks in advance.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OPR Formula

That is not a stupid question.

OPR is actually a system of simultaneous equations. The difficulty lies in solving that many simultaneous equations.

For instance. In a standard district event in Michigan, there might be 80 matches.

Each match has equations that lay out like this:
Robot_1_score+Robot_2_score+Robot_3_score=Red_Scor e
Robot_4_score+Robot_5_score+Robot_6_score=Blue_Sco re

So, in the end you'll have a system with 160 equations, and 40 variables (each robot is one variable, as shown in the equations above). The trick is solving those equations. Until just recently, excel didn't have the firepower to do it unless you used macros. However, with the newer versions, the Matrix formulas are powerful enough to do it. Keep in mind this isn't like algebra - the computer has to iterate to find an answer.

This is not a simple process. It is fairly complicated. Look up "solving simultaneous equations using matrices" in excel, and you should be able to find some examples. That is how we wrote our OPR. It requires pretty in-depth knowledge of excel though. You'll have to understand named arrays, matrix math functions, and array formulas.

2834 the Bionic Barons put out an awesome OPR sheet that handles the calculations through some open-source macro code. It is far more complex (to me) than using matrix formulae, because I have never used macros and vb programming in excel.

Of course, programs like matlab have more advanced equation solvers and you may be able to easily write a program to perform the calculations.

Last edited by Tom Line : 01-29-2012 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Corrected team number
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 04:31 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
So, in the end you'll have a system with 160 equations, and 40 variables (each robot is one variable, as shown in the equations above). The trick is solving those equations.
Tom,

I've done a fair amount of work with large overdetermined systems of equations (20,000 equations in 6,000 variables).

I'd like to play around with some of this data. Maybe I could write and post a small app. Do you know where I could get a couple of CSV, or whitespace-delimited, or fixed-field text files from 2011?

Thanks.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you can copy and paste from the old scores on the FIRST website. For instance, here:

http://www2.usfirst.org/2011comp/eve...chresults.html

That is how I developed ours. I've never tried to do the whole web-scrape or download the scores automatically as they are posted by FIRST. If, however, someone could explain how that's done it would be absolutely wonderful!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Data wins arguments.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
no team (The Blue Alliance)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
I've never tried to do the whole web-scrape or download the scores automatically as they are posted by FIRST. If, however, someone could explain how that's done it would be absolutely wonderful!
In newer versions of Excel, go to the Data tab, and then click (under Get External Data - left most panel) "From Web". Then, you can put the URL of the results page into the little browser window that pops up and then select the table with match results. To refresh, click "Refresh All" in the Connections pane (still on the data tab).
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:13 PM
no team

MagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really nice

Also, the FIRST FMS system uploads its data in twitter posts under @frcfms so you could scrape a lot more data from that since it tells of penalties point total for instance.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
no team

Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by plnyyanks View Post
In newer versions of Excel, go to the Data tab, and then click (under Get External Data - left most panel) "From Web". Then, you can put the URL of the results page into the little browser window that pops up and then select the table with match results. To refresh, click "Refresh All" in the Connections pane (still on the data tab).
Is there a CSV or whitespace-delimited or fixed-field text file somewhere that has all the scores from all the matches around the country (world) in one file for 2011?

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
Data wins arguments.
AKA: Phil Lopreiato
no team (The Blue Alliance)

plnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond reputeplnyyanks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
Is there a CSV or whitespace-delimited or fixed-field text file somewhere that has all the scores from all the matches around the country (world) in one file for 2011?

How's this? I just threw it together by scraping all the competitions and putting them in one big file.

Also, some fun facts I found:
- there were 5,258 FRC matches played in 2011
- There were 357,981 points scored total
- The average individual alliance score was 34.04 points
- The average total number of points per match was 68.08311145 points
- The highest alliance score was 147 points
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx 2011 matches.xlsx (253.4 KB, 143 views)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
College Student
AKA: Brennon Brimhall
FRC #6844 (Provotypes)

Rookie Year: 2012
brennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond reputebrennonbrimhall has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the info. Can I assume the same basic principles hold true with DPR as well?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 10:00 PM
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2008
Alex.q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagiChau View Post
Also, the FIRST FMS system uploads its data in twitter posts under @frcfms so you could scrape a lot more data from that since it tells of penalties point total for instance.
I was not aware of this. Would someone be able to tap this data during the tournament to feed it into a scouting program? How much information is available there?

Also, I know OPR means offensive power rating, but what does this actually mean?
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.q View Post
I was not aware of this. Would someone be able to tap this data during the tournament to feed it into a scouting program? How much information is available there?

Also, I know OPR means offensive power rating, but what does this actually mean?
IIRC, OPR is the expected points contribution of any given robot to an alliance.

DPR... I don't think anybody's ever come up with a good way to calculate that. First you have to find a way to calculate a defensive score...

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:21 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
IIRC, OPR is the expected points contribution of any given robot to an alliance.

DPR... I don't think anybody's ever come up with a good way to calculate that. First you have to find a way to calculate a defensive score...
Couldn't you do it the same way Tom said he did the OPR, with the following twist?

Set up the equations like so:

red1+red2+red3 = blue_alliance_score

... then solve the system.

The lower the number, the better the DPR. Like golf.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:34 PM
no team (formerly with 2834)

Rookie Year: 2009
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to learn more about OPR, CCWM, DPR, PMR, please refer to

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2174

I will post an updated 2012 version of the presentation file shortly.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:07 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
Couldn't you do it the same way Tom said he did the OPR, with the following twist?

Set up the equations like so:

red1+red2+red3 = blue_alliance_score

... then solve the system.

The lower the number, the better the DPR. Like golf.
Possibly. The hardest part about DPR is that a low blue_alliance_score could come from two possible sources. It could be that one or more red robots are playing really good defense. But, it could be that the blue alliance has a very low combined OPR (read: needs better offense even without defense being played). Without having an OPR-to-score comparison built in, there is no real way to determine whether red is playing good defense or blue is playing bad offense.

You might be able to do it with

red1+red2+red3 = blue_alliance_OPR - blue_alliance_score

and the higher the score the better (due to the OPR-score) but that involves knowing the blue alliance's combined OPR.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:48 AM
no team (formerly with 2834)

Rookie Year: 2009
Ed Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond reputeEd Law has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Possibly. The hardest part about DPR is that a low blue_alliance_score could come from two possible sources. It could be that one or more red robots are playing really good defense. But, it could be that the blue alliance has a very low combined OPR (read: needs better offense even without defense being played). Without having an OPR-to-score comparison built in, there is no real way to determine whether red is playing good defense or blue is playing bad offense.

You might be able to do it with

red1+red2+red3 = blue_alliance_OPR - blue_alliance_score

and the higher the score the better (due to the OPR-score) but that involves knowing the blue alliance's combined OPR.
Numerically, DPR = OPR - CCWM (calculated contribution to winning margin). A team will have high DPR if their CCWM is low or negative comparing to OPR. Low DPR means a team is good in defense. Basically it means they do not allow their opponents to score much.
I do not agree with low DPR is a result of opposing alliance's inability to score. Over a number of matches, those teams with low OPRs will also cause other teams to experience the same thing. A team's DPR will only be higher or lower based on how they perform on average comparing to other teams. Remember OPR, DPR and CCWM are all calculations of that team's calculated contribution.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: