OCCRA
Go to Post why does everyone think im so violent? - Kim Masi [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:34 AM
FirstUpdatesNow.com
FRC #3015 (Ranger Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois
"The Little Things" - Helpful hints for all

The purpose of this thread is to compile a list of things your team does that may seem small, but really give you a distinct advantage either on or off the field. These can include things your team does, or things you've seen other teams do.

Think pre-season prep, build season, at events, travel plans, Chairman's Award, Sponsor relations...

For example...

- Hot Glue certain electrical connections

- Zip tie battery to main breaker connection

- Send sponsors thank you letters and include a team picture with the robot. A small gesture but it goes a long way.

- Have all team members have input on the Chairman's Award essay and study the final version. You never know who will end up talking to a judge at an event.

Remember that FIRST and CD get a ton of new rookies every year. Think hard about the little things your team may do and don't take anything for granted.

Team 3015
2018- Long Island Regional Champions with 1796 and 810
2018- Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2017- Buckeye Regional Chairman's Award
2017-Buckeye Regional Champions with 340 and 156
2017- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 191 and 3799
2016- World Championship Finalists and Tesla Division Champions with 2056, 1690, and 1405
2016- Greater Pittsburgh Regional Chairman's Award
2016- Pittsburgh Regional Finalists with 1023 and 4050
2015- Newton Division Finalists With 195 and 1756
2015- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 4039 and 378
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:57 AM
on a break
AKA: Pinecone
no team (formerly FRC 3929, 228, 2791)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Re: "The Little Things" - Helpful hints for all

- There is no situation in FRC where you can safely say "well, I guess we don't need a pick list".

- Don't fix mechanical problems with software, ever.

- Keep your robot and your strategy simple and you won't have to worry nearly as much about almost every problem that plagues FRC robots (weight, CG, reliability, system integration, etc)

- Great teams with great software have control loops. Clever teams without software have pneumatics.
Consultant: 2170 (2017)
College Mentor: 2791 (2010-15) Build Photos - 2013 WPI Finalists, 2012 BAE Finalists
Student: 1714 (2009) - 2009 MN 10K Lakes Winners
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

- Pre-match checklists and pre-flight tests are always necessary. It doesn't matter how well your robot ran in the last match, check everything again. This goes the same for post-match checks.

- Driver training can never be overvalued, and is very commonly undervalued.

- Never stop learning. There is something you can learn from every team, every student, every mentor, you talk to.

- "Custom" does not always mean "better".

- Every student should be knowledgable on every part of the robot. A software student should be able to explain any mechanical part on the robot as well as a mechanical student can explain any other part.

- Take time and design something right the first time. Tweaking should be done to improve, not to make something work.

Work hard, play hard. And maybe someday...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 01:57 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2012
magnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond reputemagnets has a reputation beyond repute

The most important part of the robot, regardless of the game, is the drivetrain.

MAKE SURE THE BATTERY DOES NOT FALL OUT

Design things to be much stronger than you think they need to be. When something goes wrong (your robot falls off 2 second level of the pyramid), and your robot doesn't break, it's very impressive to watch

Don't get too attached to an idea. Your first idea is never the best, and 99.99% of the time, there's somebody who can help you make it better. (as JVN says, design is all about iteration.)

At a competition, doing well is not an excuse for not testing the robot. This is why you don't tell your drivers the team's rank until its time for alliance selection.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Blue Shirt
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute

Battery management.

Both the robot and the driver station.

I would add to you checklists to check if the driver station is charged. If your battery is suspect, get a replacement. You don't need the driver station to die.

Have a robot battery management plan.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

- Test setup your pit before an event, keep it the same from event to event, it will really speed up repairs if you know where things are.

- Save all your team documents in one place (Dropbox, Google Drive, another cloud or server solution). It's far easier to find something you already have than it is to remake it.

- Standardize your hole sizes and fasteners. We use 3/16" rivets and 10-24 bolts in 13/64" holes, it may not be a perfect solution but it works very well for most FRC robots.

- Limit your building materials: we try to only use a few select standard building materials to actually stock that way we if we need to remake something at competition we have the spare material to build it from. Our list includes 1x1x1/16" square and angle aluminum, 1x1x1/8" angle aluminum, 1/16" polycarb, and .09 sheet aluminum. A few other things creep in but for the most part everything is made from those items.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Montois View Post
- Hot Glue certain electrical connections
Don't trust everything you read on Chief Delphi.
There have been specific rules against the above comment in the robot rules several years.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:38 PM
Enjoying the Sunset
FRC #3476 (Code Orange)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

Don't use set screws to transfer torque or loads. I even try to avoid them in no load applications such as encoders. Outside of FIRST I only use them in very low load situations, low vibration settings.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Cynicism isn't wisdom
FRC #2363
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 1999
Nate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond reputeNate Laverdure has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Matteson View Post
There have been specific rules against [gluing electrical components] in the robot rules several years.
This is in reference to <R65> in the 2013 manual. Standard practice for many teams, including mine, is to apply hot glue to PWM connections. Was this disallowed at any events this year?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I am Dave! Yognaut
AKA: Brian Bray
FRC #1296 (Full Metal Jackets)

Rookie Year: 2010
BBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond reputeBBray_T1296 has a reputation beyond repute

As our teacher says
"when in doubt, roll pin it!"

RIP David Shafer: you will be missed

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:22 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2011
T^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond reputeT^2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sheridan View Post
Don't use set screws to transfer torque or loads. I even try to avoid them in no load applications such as encoders. Outside of FIRST I only use them in very low load situations, low vibration settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBray_T1296 View Post
As our teacher says
"when in doubt, roll pin it!"
To go along with these, mechanical connections beat adhesives and friction every single time.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 05:27 PM
Petitioning the UN to ban Lythgoe
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post

- Great teams with great software have control loops. Clever teams without software have pneumatics.
Great teams with great software have control loops but prefer pneumatics.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:48 PM
AKA: Ervin Ibadula
FRC #0865 (Warp7)

Rookie Year: 2011
ErvinI is just really niceErvinI is just really niceErvinI is just really niceErvinI is just really niceErvinI is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Great teams with great software have control loops but prefer pneumatics. Unless they're 67.
Fixed.

As for my own contributions:
  • Don't implement software changes just before a match, especially if that software has a chance to be stuck in an infinite loop.
  • Always check your batteries before a match if possible. CTRE sells a great battery checker if you're willing to shell out $125.
  • Rule #34 of Chief Delphi: if a question regarding FIRST robotics exists, there is a thread about it on Chief Delphi.
  • Keep track of all students going to a regional, especially when it is out of the country. Use some kind of head-count or buddy-system. If it is out-of-country, make sure that all students have their passports with them.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Bumpers are a lot easier to deal with if they aren't an afterthought.

The rule you don't read will be the one that gets you--so at least look at all of them.

"But it passed at X" is not a reason for the inspector to pass an illegal robot--particularly if X is not an official event.

Failing to plan is planning to fail. Have a plan for travel and any time not in the venue, even if it's "Free time, be back at point X by time Y".

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-14-2013, 07:19 PM
AKA: Carl Springli
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)(EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2010
KrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond repute

Abiding by the rules is a necessity. None of them are optional; they are all strict design constraints that MUST be met in order to compete. Although a good shooter may be more of a differentiating factor between good and bad robots than good bumpers, existing and legal bumpers are more of a necessity to be on the field than an existing shooter is.

As for technical stuff: avoid shoulders, grooves or other features on live shafts that concentrate stress between the driving torque and the load. Putting a snap ring groove between a driving sprocket and arm hub is asking for the shaft to fail where a spacer would do perfectly fine.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: