Go to Post Besides, you know hard it is to solder with gloves on? - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > NI LabVIEW
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:44 PM
AKA: Guy
FRC #3339 (BumbleBee)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
GuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really niceGuyM142 is just really nice
Re: The Secret Book of FRC LabVIEW

In page 127 it says:
Quote:
At 10
frames per second, you will be acquiring images at the same rate that the Driver Station
communicates with the robot.
You've already changed the 100ms to 20ms, so this sentence is wrong.
You actually need 50fps to be at the same rate as the communication
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Texas Instruments
AKA: Will Toth
FRC #3005 (Robochargers)

Rookie Year: 2004
wt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud ofwt200999 has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to wt200999

Thank you for putting together this manual, it is a great resource.

I have a question regarding your discussion on file organization, page 50, do you have any examples for this:

Quote:
There are advantages to having all the files in one folder
Thanks
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-04-2013, 10:37 PM
FRC #1391 (Metal Moose)

Rookie Year: 2011
gnunes has a spectacular aura aboutgnunes has a spectacular aura aboutgnunes has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyM142 View Post
In page 127 it says:

You've already changed the 100ms to 20ms, so this sentence is wrong.
You actually need 50fps to be at the same rate as the communication
Thanks for noticing. This kind of catch is very helpful. A revised version is attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt200999 View Post
I have a question regarding your discussion on file organization, page 50, do you have any examples for this:
Thanks
I wrote utilities for zipping and unzipping the project to a flash drive (for backup and moving the code between computers). It is 10X easier to write this routine if the file structure is flat.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Secret Book of FRC LabVIEW v0.4.pdf (4.21 MB, 412 views)
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent work!
I am starting through the Ver. 0.4 now. If I come across any errors, or have any suggestions, I'll post them right away.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).

2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist, Newton/Carver Innovation in Control, Newton #5 Captain
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:01 AM
FRC #0144 (R.O.C.K)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
TylerStaudigel is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: The Secret Book of FRC LabVIEW

Thanks so much for the book. You saved me!
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2014, 10:51 AM
FRC #1391 (Metal Moose)

gnunes has a spectacular aura aboutgnunes has a spectacular aura aboutgnunes has a spectacular aura about

Here it is! What you have all been waiting for!! (Or not.) The latest revision to the Secret Book, covering the 2014 Framework, reentrant VIs, and how to actually use a PID in your robot.

As always, I welcome corrections, but also suggestions for new topics, or places where I have not explained things as clearly as I should have...

Cheers to all!
-GN
Attached Files
File Type: pdf The Secret Book of LabVIEW v1.0.pdf (4.41 MB, 803 views)
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Programming/Controls Mentor
AKA: Joe Kelly
FRC #0997 (Spartan Robotics) and FRC #2990 (Hotwire Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
jojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant futurejojoguy10 has a brilliant future

Thanks for this AWESOME resource!

If you're still taking small edits, there's a small typo on page 123 (of book, not PDF).

In the "Loop 2" paragraph, last sentence: "We’ll discuss the stuff you can see first, and then spend some time on the
Dashboard JMPG VI, because in 2014 this has become a pretty sophisticated routine."

Isn't that supposed to be MJPG?

Love this book and I'm making all of my programmers read through it.

Thanks again!
2013 and 2014 - Student (FRC#2990), Programmer (LabVIEW)
2015 and 2016 - Mentor (FRC#2990), Programming (LabVIEW)
2017-Current - Mentor (FRC#997), Controls/Programming (Java)
2015-Current - A/V Volunteer at Oregon events
2017 Autodesk Volunteer Award
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2014, 04:47 PM
electronics/programming mentor
AKA: Mr Tanguay
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
BitTwiddler is on a distinguished road

Holy Moose stuffing Batman!
I can really use this for our students. Nice work. Hope you can find the time and motivation to keep it up to date.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-31-2014, 11:35 PM
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2012
SquishyIce can only hope to improve

Can't wait to start reading. On a side note, that's a very nice random image you have there. I like it.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-05-2015, 01:24 PM
M.Fawdah Mechanical engineering
AKA: Mohamed
FRC #1946 (Mechka Monster)
Team Role: RoboCoach

Rookie Year: 2006
yara92 will become famous soon enoughyara92 will become famous soon enough

If I am not a programmer, and I like to use LV with EV3 because it is easy to bulid and work with.
How I can began my tranining
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2016, 06:49 PM
FRC #5417 (Allen Eagles)

Rookie Year: 2009
loki1725 is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, thank you for the book. This is our first year using LabView and it has helped us greatly. Our two primary software mentors have never used LabView before, and this book was their primary source for teaching it to the kids. I have used LabView a little bit in the past, but mostly for instrumentation control and display, never for anything complicated.

I'm trying to run through your vision example before I try and teach it to my kids. I have successfully made the distance calculations work based on the target heights, but the angle calculations are not working. I believe my problem is the blob sizes and locations are incorrect due to looking at them from an angle. This is making my calculation of the separation in x in pixels wrong, which throws everything else off. I have spent three days trying to hunt down the problem, but I'm out of ideas.

Has anyone actually earned their Image Processing Zen Master merit badge? If so, I could use some tips.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2016, 06:18 AM
FRC #2468 (Team NI & Appreciate)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

The distance calculation in the example uses the width of the blob as a proportion of the image size. If you scroll down on the diagram, it has some pictures and formulae to show what it is doing. By the way, this estimator works better for some field positions than for others. It is also possible to use the height of the blob, the area of the blob, or use tools like the clamps to measure things more precisely than the bounding box.

Tutorial 8 in the Getting Started also discusses this a bit, but I don't remember how much detail it goes into.

If you have other questions, I am happy to help.
Greg McKaskle
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2016, 01:18 PM
FRC #1391 (Metal Moose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki1725 View Post
...the angle calculations are not working. I believe my problem is the blob sizes and locations are incorrect due to looking at them from an angle.
Without knowing exactly what you are doing... In general, the apparent size of things will be wrong, depending on where they are in the image, how your camera is pointing, etc. Suppose your camera is pointing straight at a wall a distance d away, and there is a target of height h (height in pixels hp) positioned exactly where the camera is pointing. Then that target will subtend an angle tan(theta) = h/d.

But now, if the same target is high up on the wall, it will span fewer pixels. If the line from the camera to the center of the target makes an angle phi to the horizontal, then the target will appear to be only cos(phi)*hp pixels tall. This is an approximation, because the target is also farther away, but depending on the details, that may be good enough. If you are close in, then the difference will be larger and you will have to apply Pythagoras.

Hope that helps...
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-06-2016, 08:41 PM
AKA: rick page
FRC #2067 (Apple Pi)

Rookie Year: 2008
page2067 has a spectacular aura aboutpage2067 has a spectacular aura aboutpage2067 has a spectacular aura about

I recently discovered some of our students were using this as a resource for self teaching in the offseason!

I have been going through it and recommend it to all looking for a good learning tool - very comprehensive - not just the basics.
This augments the nice NI tutorials incuded with Labview.
Best Labview resource I have seen since FRC Mastery .

Bumping now as maybe folks are thinking about training for the Fall.

Be nice if their was an update for the RoboRio, and maybe add new SRX CAN functionality.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2016, 05:40 PM
AKA: Al Gritzmacher
FRC #1507 (Warlocks)

Rookie Year: 2003
Doc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant futureDoc Wu has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by page2067 View Post
Be nice if their was an update for the RoboRio, and maybe add new SRX CAN functionality.
Far be it from me to put something like this on someone's plate, but maybe a couple of knowledgeable people could go through it and suggest/add some revisions to bring it up to date, with Geoff's permission?

I've been out of the programming loop the past couple of years, but agree it's a great resource. I've been recommending it myself for some time. With some updates for newer hardware that's become available and newer versions of LabVIEW, it would continue to be a valuable tool.

Taking 2017 off!
2016 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes, Pittsburgh
2015 Robot Inspector - Pittsburgh, Champs. Judge Observer - Champs
2014 Robot Inspector - Tech Valley, Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship
2013 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship
2012 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship - Website Evaluator - Fingerlakes, Buckeye, Championship
2011 Robot Inspector - Fingerlakes 2011 Safety Advisor - Fingerlakes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: