OCCRA
Go to Post To find something they are so passionate about that it oozes into everything they do, and others can't help but want to follow them into this Counter-Culture where good is not good enough, Great is all they strive for. - Kims Robot [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:34 PM
FRC #0365 (MOE)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute
How to design a demo bot

Does your team have a demo bot? Did you design and build it from scratch or re-purpose an older bot? MOE is applying for an outreach grant to fund, among other items, a dedicated demo bot. We are looking for ideas and photos of what other teams have done.

We want a demo bot that is smaller and easier to transport than regular FRC bots, but has the same or similar components (sensor, pneumatics, camera, etc.)

Any suggestions?

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:49 PM
AKA: Joe Barry
FRC #0987 (HIGH ROLLERS)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
JB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to design a demo bot

Check thread http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...&highlight=525from around December when 525 built and transported (via checked luggage) a compact bot for training session in China. Basic drive train you could add manipulator to perhaps?

Last edited by JB987 : 10-20-2014 at 08:56 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Lead Bumper Mentor
AKA: Mike Marandola
FRC #0316 (LUNATECS)

Rookie Year: 2007
Mike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond reputeMike Marandola has a reputation beyond repute

When I was a student, another student and I made a farming robot as a demo bot. It dug a hole, deposited a seed, and covered it with dirt. We are in a very farm dense area so it was perfect for our county fair. You can maybe try to think of something that the people of Wilmington or the surrounding area could relate to.

Another great example is 254's Shockwave.

2015 - Pioneer Valley District Finalists/Upper Darby District Finalists/MAR District Championship #1 Seed and Winners with 225 and 203
2014 - Lenape Seneca District Winners/Chestnut Hill District Winners
2013 - Lenape Seneca District Winners/Chestnut Hill District Finalists
2011 - Philadelphia Regional Finalists
2009 - Finger Lakes Regional Finalists

Last edited by Mike Marandola : 10-20-2014 at 08:58 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:04 PM
The Scout that Keeps on Scouting
AKA: Schuyler
FRC #5332 (Toaster Tech)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
therobo-titan is an unknown quantity at this point

On my team, we had the mock bot (known as the Mauck bot, because our teacher Mr. Mauck used it for programming class) to teach the programmers and freshmen. It was a couple of feet long and not too wide (I think the designers tried for the golden ratio) and only as tall as it needed to be to fit all of the components. It was made out of our more expendable electronics and our durable wheels to ensure that minimal damage was caused by the occasional fire. The crio was borrowed from our competition bot, and we switched it back and forth as needed. We had it on four wheels, with old cim motors on the back two and space for them on the front two.

In my experience, if the robot is for the benefit of the team, it is best to use components that you wouldn't necessarily miss. If it is for public demonstrations, durability and consistency is key as opposed to a ton of action. People will be entertained by a robot that works at all, so it's best to make sure that it works every time.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2014, 11:17 AM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

We built a tee shirt cannon with the components laid out in a fashion that is easy to explain the function. This summer's project was to make it so it would fit in back of a SUV. We reuse past competition robots for demos with some modifications. Vex robotics make good demo bots for situations where we cannot bring a full size bot.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-21-2014, 09:28 PM
FRC #3275 (Accelerators 3134 & Regulators 3275)

Rookie Year: 2012
snoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to behold

hi I think demo robots are good idea our team made one last year it's on an old andy mark chassis. regular FRC styleand we mounted a compressed air t shirt cannon on it we were shooting field goal from the 30 yard line. We use it at football games basketball games and other events
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2014, 07:58 AM
FirstUpdatesNow.com
FRC #3015 (Ranger Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois

Team 341 built a demo bot named Sparky that I think is the best demo bot I've seen as far as it being fun to drive and easy to transport. It shoots foam balls and can harvest them. Kids love that. I think it's based on the 2006 game piece. They are also planning to build 3 more so they can have 2v2 matches with them.

Here's a picture of it with an FRC robot of theirs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/team34...n/photostream/

Team 3015
2017- Buckeye Regional Chairman's Award
2017-Buckeye Regional Champions with 340 and 156
2017- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 191 and 3799
2016- World Championship Finalists and Tesla Division Champions with 2056, 1690, and 1405
2016- Greater Pittsburgh Regional Chairman's Award
2016- Pittsburgh Regional Finalists with 1023 and 4050
2015- Newton Division Finalists With 195 and 1756
2015- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 4039 and 378

Last edited by Justin Montois : 10-22-2014 at 08:01 AM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Team Captain
AKA: Sam Weaver
FRC #4534 (Wired Wizards)

Rookie Year: 2014
weaversam8 is a splendid one to beholdweaversam8 is a splendid one to beholdweaversam8 is a splendid one to beholdweaversam8 is a splendid one to beholdweaversam8 is a splendid one to beholdweaversam8 is a splendid one to behold
Side note, my team is from Wilmington, NC, and we are the only team here, so I was very confused for a moment.

Something our team is looking at doing is reassembling a robot from one of our previous seasons, then take off enough parts to be able to reassemble it in about 2 hours. That might be an interesting demo.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2014, 10:48 PM
FRC #3275 (Accelerators 3134 & Regulators 3275)

Rookie Year: 2012
snoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to beholdsnoman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaversam8 View Post
Side note, my team is from Wilmington, NC, and we are the only team here, so I was very confused for a moment.

Something our team is looking at doing is reassembling a robot from one of our previous seasons, then take off enough parts to be able to reassemble it in about 2 hours. That might be an interesting demo.

that also sounds like a very good way to train new kids in your robotics program
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Creator of the Robotic Mercenaries
FRC #6666 (The Grey Team)

Rookie Year: 1876
Grey Mann is a splendid one to beholdGrey Mann is a splendid one to beholdGrey Mann is a splendid one to beholdGrey Mann is a splendid one to beholdGrey Mann is a splendid one to beholdGrey Mann is a splendid one to beholdGrey Mann is a splendid one to behold

My team created a little demo bot a few years back for Da Vinci Days (A local arts and science fair) dubbed "Squirtle". It was a short, green sea turtle equipped with several misters in its shell used for misting younger kids since it can get pretty hot around when Da Vinci Days is in full swing. I don't know if it is still functional or if it was gutted for spare parts.
"My name is Gray Mann. I am your brother. And I sent those letters proposing this truce. Which, I might add, it took you literally thirty seconds to turn into an idiotic crime against nature. Congratulations."
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Theory Crafting Fo days...
AKA: Charles Ives "M" Waldo IV
FRC #1339 (Angelbots)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
IronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond reputeIronicDeadBird has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite "demo" bot was a robot that played guitar hero. It was mind boggling to see high school students come together and design a robot not for a game but for something that in my opinion seemed like an every day application
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2014, 08:22 PM
teacher/coach
FRC #1339 (Angelbotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
mrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond reputemrnoble has a reputation beyond repute

We're building two off-season bots right now, one of which is practice for a competition, the other of which is a mecanum with a recliner set on top. Should be done with both in a week or two! The chair bot is intended as our demo, as we will be giving our Principal a ride in it.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:50 PM
Team 2468 Coach/Adviser
AKA: Norman Morgan
FRC #2468 (Team Appreciate)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2008
Coach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond reputeCoach Norm has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Does your team have a demo bot? Did you design and build it from scratch or re-purpose an older bot? MOE is applying for an outreach grant to fund, among other items, a dedicated demo bot. We are looking for ideas and photos of what other teams have done.

We want a demo bot that is smaller and easier to transport than regular FRC bots, but has the same or similar components (sensor, pneumatics, camera, etc.)

Any suggestions?
LASA - FRC 418 built a demo robot that shoots short pool noodles. I believe it was made specifically for just the purposes you are describing. Bertman is the one to contact on here about it.

Win The Day!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2014, 02:55 PM
AKA: Rich Lester
FRC #5484 (Memento Vitam)

Rookie Year: 2013
hardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud ofhardcopi has much to be proud of

We are going to repurpose last years bot. While the game might not have been my favorite (this will be my 3rd year) but for a demo bot it is great. We took it to a boy scout event where it played catch with the kids. They would roll the ball to it and it would scoop it up, then shoot it into the crowd. It even raced them. It nearly won but our control was a bit hinky at the end of the race. The driver had to run after it.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: