Go to Post Mentors need to be sure that the team is on track to have a working robot ready. Students can do almost everything, but they need help watching the calender. Even if your ideas turn out bad, if your robot is inspectable and running when you arrive at your first event, anything can happen. - AcesPease [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2016, 01:12 PM
FTC #0533 (Psichotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
nheft is a jewel in the roughnheft is a jewel in the roughnheft is a jewel in the roughnheft is a jewel in the rough
FRCSim, Gazebo v7, and GearsBot example

Having difficulty getting FRCsim to work.

I installed the FRC simulator in accordance with the latest WPI procedure with the exception that I installed Gazebo version 7 instead of 6.

I start frcsim as follows:

frcsim ~/wpilib/simulation/worlds/GearsBotDemo.world

Next I bring up the driver station with sim_ds.

Finally I start up eclipse neon, open up the GearsBot demo project, and run it as a WPILib Java Simulation.

The Gazebo window shows the robot on a simple playing field with a few cans and a platform similar to the video demo. However when I enable autonomous or teleop the robot does nothing.

In the console I get a few "Failed to initialize simulator/dio/1/2: does the encoder exist?" messages, eventually getting a message that ends with "Overload me!"

Meanwhile in the terminal I get a bunch of messages as follows
"Failed to load plugin /home/team533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libdc_motor.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file : No such file or directory".

Are the simulation plugins somehow hard wired to Gazebo version 6?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Neil Heft

Engineer - Mentor, Team 533
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-01-2017, 10:19 AM
FRC #1895

DaveFrederick is a jewel in the roughDaveFrederick is a jewel in the roughDaveFrederick is a jewel in the rough
Re: FRCSim, Gazebo v7, and GearsBot example

I noticed that some of the sensors files need to be renamed.
( e.g., cp libencoder.so libgz_encoder.so )

See lesson learned #4 below.
Watch for errors on startup and create copies of the files as required.
Stick with FRCSIM. I think this will be an important tool once we learn and document how to use it.

Dave Frederick
Team 1895 Mentor

==============================================

Limitations:
1) The FRCSIM can take a few tries to start.
2) Joystick methods are not working correctly (getX(), getY() and getZ() )
Use: Robot.oi.joystick1.getRawAxis(0)
// Robot.driveTrainSubSystem.ArcadeDrive(Robot.oi.joy stick1.getY(),Robot.oi.joystick1.getX());
Robot.driveTrainSubSystem.ArcadeDrive(Robot.oi.joy stick1.getRawAxis(0), Robot.oi.joystick1.getRawAxis(1));

Notes: Joystick
- Axis 0 - Left(-) and Right(+)
- Axis 1 - forward (-) and Back (+)
- Axis 2 - Rotate forward (-) and Back (+)
Seems like getX(), getY() and getZ() are not working - wrong order
3) The Analog Gyro does not support the “setSensitivity” method. Comment out in RoboMap.
4) Needed to rename a few sensors (one Time).
/home/robot/wpilib/simulation/plugins/
cp libencoder.so libgz_encoder.so
cp libgyro.so libgz_gyro.so
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2017, 08:28 PM
FTC #0533 (Psichotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
nheft is a jewel in the roughnheft is a jewel in the roughnheft is a jewel in the roughnheft is a jewel in the rough

Dave,

Thank you for replying.

I Copied the two files as per your recommendation. Getting numerous errors that I can't make heads or tails of. They all seem to revolve around libgazebo_physics.so.6 and libgazebo_sensors.so.6. Following is a list of the errors I get.

Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 7.4.0
Copyright (C) 2012-2016 Open Source Robotics Foundation.
Released under the Apache 2 License.
http://gazebosim.org

[Msg] Waiting for master.
[Msg] Connected to gazebo master @ http://127.0.0.1:11345
[Msg] Publicized address: 192.168.1.101
Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 7.4.0
Copyright (C) 2012-2016 Open Source Robotics Foundation.

[Msg] Publicized address: 192.168.1.101
[Wrn] [msgs.cc:1793] Conversion of sensor type[sonar] not suppported.
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libclock.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libdc_motor.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libdc_motor.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libencoder.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libencoder.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libgyro.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/librangefinder.so: libgazebo_sensors.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libpotentiometer.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libpotentiometer.so: libgazebo_physics.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/team_533/wpilib/simulation/plugins/liblimit_switch.so: libgazebo_sensors.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Err] [Scene.cc:2928] Light [sun] not found. Use topic ~/factory/light to spawn a new light.
[Wrn] [Publisher.cc:141] Queue limit reached for topic /gazebo/default/pose/local/info, deleting message. This warning is printed only once.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2017, 06:47 AM
FRC #1895

DaveFrederick is a jewel in the roughDaveFrederick is a jewel in the roughDaveFrederick is a jewel in the rough

Neil,
The errors are not familiar.
Recommend you review file permissions in the plugin folder.
Below I have provided 3 sets of data.
1) I have listed the files and permissions in the plugin folder.
2) The permissions of the physics engine file
3 )The start up log of my Gazebo.

I am running a model that I created. (The lego car with 6 wheels)
Which model are you running?

Dave Frederick
=====================================

robot@robotCPU:~/wpilib/simulation/plugins$ pwd
/home/robot/wpilib/simulation/plugins

robot@robotCPU:~/wpilib/simulation/plugins$ ls -ltr
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1663065 Feb 11 2016 libservo.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1475620 Feb 11 2016 libclock.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1659314 Feb 11 2016 libdc_motor.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1781580 Feb 11 2016 libencoder.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1781248 Feb 11 2016 libgyro.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 2093881 Feb 11 2016 liblimit_switch.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1665607 Feb 11 2016 libpneumatic_piston.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1486513 Feb 11 2016 libpotentiometer.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1494808 Feb 11 2016 librangefinder.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1659314 Apr 16 2016 libgz_dc_motor.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1475620 Apr 16 2016 libgz_clock.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1781248 Nov 19 17:43 libgz_gyro.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1781580 Nov 23 19:20 libgz_encoder.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robot robot 1494808 Dec 26 11:38 libgz_rangefinder.so
robot@robotCPU:~/wpilib/simulation/plugins$

======================================
robot@robotCPU:~/wpilib/simulation/plugins$ ls -ltr /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgazebo_physics.so

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Apr 7 2016 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgazebo_physics.so -> libgazebo_physics.so.6

==============

Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 6.6.0
Copyright (C) 2012-2015 Open Source Robotics Foundation.

Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 6.6.0
Copyright (C) 2012-2015 Open Source Robotics Foundation.

[Msg] Publicized address: 192.168.65.130
[Msg] Publicized address: 192.168.65.130
[Msg] Initializing clock: /gazebo/frc/time
[Msg] Initializing gyro: /gazebo/frc/simulator/analog/0 link=CarBody axis=2 radians=0
[Msg] Initializing rangefinder: /gazebo/frc/simulator/analog/1 sensor=CarBodyUltrasonic
[Msg] Initializing motor: /gazebo/frc/simulator/pwm/1 joint=CarBody-FrontLeftWheel multiplier=25
[Msg] Initializing motor: /gazebo/frc/simulator/pwm/2 joint=CarBody-FrontRightWheel multiplier=25
[Msg] Initializing motor: /gazebo/frc/simulator/pwm/3 joint=CarBody-RearLeftWheel multiplier=25
[Msg] Initializing motor: /gazebo/frc/simulator/pwm/4 joint=CarBody-RearRightWheel multiplier=25
[Msg] Initializing motor: /gazebo/frc/simulator/pwm/5 joint=CarBody-CenterLeftWheel multiplier=25
[Msg] Initializing encoder: /gazebo/frc/simulator/dio/0/1 joint=CarBody-CenterLeftWheel radians=0
[Msg] Initializing motor: /gazebo/frc/simulator/pwm/6 joint=CarBody-CenterRightWheel multiplier=25
[Msg] Initializing encoder: /gazebo/frc/simulator/dio/2/3 joint=CarBody-CenterRightWheel radians=0
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2017, 08:28 AM
FRC #2834

dpolito is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like the current FRCSim package is setup for Gazebo v6, which is unavaliable for download. I just went through the setup instructions and have the same issue. Autonomous and Teleop do not work and I have the same error messages regarding libgazebo_physics.so.6.

I went through the exercise of linking the version 7 libraries to version 6 names, one by one to eliminate the error messages. The error messages go away, but eventually Gazebo stops running, no surprise.

Thanks for building a great tool. I will continue to try and track down the exact incompatiablity between v6 and v7.

Dave Polito
Programming Mentor, #2834 Bionic Blackhawks
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2017, 03:02 PM
AKA: Dave Alitz
FRC #3042 (Cobalt Catalysts)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2016
DAlitz is an unknown quantity at this point

I fought with getting FRCSim running with Gazebo v7 for a long time and finally gave up. It appears that some of the WPI plugins are compiled against library versions that aren't compatible with Gazebo v7. I thought about trying to update the code and compile for 7; but in the end decided it was just easier to set up an Ubuntu 14.04 environment.

Along with the other code specific gotchas someone mentioned earlier, FRCSim doesn't appear to work well with Intel graphics. I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 960 graphics card.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2017, 03:38 PM
FRC #3223

Rookie Year: 2013
mylodon is an unknown quantity at this point

you can actually still install v6. after running the gazebo7_install.sh, run

apt-get remove gazebo7 libgazebo7-dev
apt-get install libsdformat3
apt-get install gazebo6 libgazebo6-dev gazebo6-common

or just use this script instead:

http://osrf-distributions.s3.amazona...bo6_install.sh

at least, that's what's in my notes from last may
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2017, 05:53 PM
FRC #4915

mrosen is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad I'm not the only one who found this challenging. The good news is that I've got it working, I think.

The authoratative instructions for installing FRCSim should be here: https://wpilib.screenstepslive.com/s...anually-ubuntu. They are currently out of date but I have it working on LinuxMint18 and am reasonably confident that if you use the updated version of Gazebo v7 and the 2017 version of the simulation plugins you’ll be OK. Specifically:

Their “Install Gazebo” step has you use a version-specific shell-script. Try this instead:
sudo apt install gazebo7

Their “Install WPILib Gazebo Plugins” step points you to an out-of-date archive that is built against Gazebo6. Try this instead:
http://first.wpi.edu/FRC/roborio/mav...n-2017.1.1.zip

Similarly, they have you install the libgazebo6-dev package. Use libgazebog7-dev instead.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2017, 10:11 AM

I thought I'd try installing the new plugins on a current Ubuntu LTS (16.04) system. The plugins compile without errors; but when I try to start Gazebo 7 with the GearsBotDemo.world (with the GearsBot robot) the plugins fail to load because libboost_system.so.1.54.0 isn't available.

libboost-dev is at version 1.58 is the current LTS and 1.54 isn't available through the package manager. 1.54 was last used in Ubuntu 14.04.

I've look a little through the source to see if I can figure out where it's picking up the version number; but haven't spotted anything.

Any ideas how to work around this?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2017, 02:06 PM
FRC #4915

mrosen is an unknown quantity at this point

I also ran into the missing libboost_system_1.54.0.so problem. I entered a ticket against it here: https://github.com/wpilibsuite/allwpilib/issues/452

My work around is to rebuild the plugins (along with the rest of the library):

1. Clone the updated repository from WPI "allwpilib".

2. Make sure Gradle is installed ("sudo apt install gradle")

3. From the "allwpilib" directory, build using Gradle; "./gradlew build -PmakeSim"

4. Copy the newly build plugins from ~/allwpilib/build/install/simulation/plugins (where Gradle just built them) to ~/wpilib/simulation/plugins (where they are referenced from the "frcsim" script that starts Gazebo for us.

I'm able to get example GearsBot simulation model to move in response to the corresponding default "Gearbot" example program. I'm finding it slow and difficult. I would love to hear about other's experiences here.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrosen View Post
2. Make sure Gradle is installed ("sudo apt install gradle")

3. From the "allwpilib" directory, build using Gradle; "./gradlew build -PmakeSim"
FYI, wpilib uses the gradle wrapper (gradlew). Thus it isn't necessary to install gradle before running ./gradlew build. The version of gradle that you installed with apt-get isn't being used. See here for more details: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...lew-and-gradle
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Thought of that and tried building my own version yesterday. Build failed with the message that it couldn't find the C++ compiler 'arm-frc-linux-gnueabi-g++'

Apparently I hadn't installed FRC Toollchains (http://first.wpi.edu/FRC/roborio/toolchains/) on this computer yet.

This computer's running Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety). Apparently there isn't a Yakkety version of the arm debugger (gdb-arm-frc-linux-gnueabi) yet; but I installed the rest of the frc-toolchain dependencies.

Build succeeded and the GearsBot demo runs at a glacial pace (~4 fps). Just what I've come to expect when using Intel integrated graphics.

Convincing enough that I'll try upgrading the computer with the GeForce 960 to the latest Ubuntu LTS.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-15-2017, 01:06 AM
AKA: Bart Kerfeld
FRC #4239 (Warpspeed)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2012
xForceDee is a splendid one to beholdxForceDee is a splendid one to beholdxForceDee is a splendid one to beholdxForceDee is a splendid one to beholdxForceDee is a splendid one to beholdxForceDee is a splendid one to beholdxForceDee is a splendid one to behold

Also having some trouble settings this up, here is the error I get when trying to load the GearsBot robot.

Code:
[Wrn] [msgs.cc:1807] Conversion of sensor type[sonar] not suppported.
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libclock.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libdc_motor.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libdc_motor.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libencoder.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libencoder.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libgyro.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/librangefinder.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libpotentiometer.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/libpotentiometer.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /home/bart/wpilib/simulation/plugins/liblimit_switch.so: /home/bart/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.so: undefined symbol: _ZNK6google8protobuf7Message11GetTypeNameEv
[Wrn] [msgs.cc:1807] Conversion of sensor type[sonar] not suppported.
[Wrn] [Publisher.cc:141] Queue limit reached for topic /gazebo/default/pose/local/info, deleting message. This warning is printed only once.
Looks like it is missing a protobuf library, I have installed protobuf-compile, is there something else I need to install? I am running gazebo7 and I have built the plugins from source using
Code:
./gradlew build -PmakeSim
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM
Mentor
FRC #2036 (Black Knights)

Rookie Year: 2010
Carter12s is a name known to allCarter12s is a name known to allCarter12s is a name known to allCarter12s is a name known to allCarter12s is a name known to allCarter12s is a name known to all

@xForceDee

You need to build and install the gz_msgs package which is included in the simulation zip file. Once you unzip the file you should see a gz_msgs folder, you'll need to

cd gz_msgs
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
make install
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-11-2017, 12:12 PM
FRC #6854

ejj28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: FRCSim, Gazebo v7, and GearsBot example

Hi there, I'm currently trying to get FRCSim running, but every time I start gazebo, I get this error:
[Err] [Plugin.hh:165] Failed to load plugin /Users/****/wpilib/simulation/plugins/liblimit_switch.dylib: dlopen(/Users/****/wpilib/simulation/plugins/liblimit_switch.dylib, 9): Library not loaded: /Users/joekinsella/wpilib/tmp/allwpilib/build/simulation/gz_msgs/libgz_msgs.dylib
Referenced from: /Users/****/wpilib/simulation/plugins/liblimit_switch.dylib
Reason: image not found
I used Joe Kinsella's pre-compiled OSX libraries, but I don't have libgz_msgs.dylib
Compiling gz_msgs does not give me this library.
If I try to compile the plugins for OSX myself, it says it can't find OGRE.
Does anyone know how to fix this? This is our team's first year so it would be super helpful to have FRCSim working!
Thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: