Go to Post There are a lot of great teams that impress me, but four that really stand out... Our team doesn't want to beat these teams, we want to be these teams. - Mark Holschuh [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 05:32 AM
#0668 (The Apes of Wrath)

turbidum is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to turbidum Send a message via Yahoo to turbidum
Question This is kind of late, but. . .Hooking Goals?

Hi, we were just starting to remodel our robot for a regional in september. Not only are we changing it a lot, but we need some help. We were wondering: what did all of you use to hook onto goals, if you did? What I mean by this is did you use hooks? arms? And, if you used hooks, what kind of hooks? simple metal "hooks"? curved? square?

Any information you would be able to give us would be greatly appreciated, as we are still a rookie team (well, sort of, after one competition) and want as much help as possible.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 07:08 AM
We Build Robots......and Careers
AKA: Warthog
FRC #1501 (Team T.H.R.U.S.T.)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Wayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond reputeWayne Doenges has a reputation beyond repute
We had hooks on our robot.
They were a four piece design. They were mounted in pairs on each end of the bot. They were mounted to a rod that was attached to a motor (can't remeber name) with a chain. They would rotate around and lock onto the tow bar on goal. We had limit switches to keep the hooks locked onto the goals.
To see pictures of our bot, go to gforcerobotics.com
Hope this helps
World's - #1 seeded in Archimedes, WON Archimedes and made it to Einstein
2016 NC District - Guilford County. #13 seeded, Finalist. Won Quality award.
IN District - Tippecanoe. #4 seeded. Won Innovation in Control award.
IN District - Perry Meridian. #3 seeded. Finalist. Won Excellence in Engineering award.
IN District - State Championship. #1 seeded. Finalist. Won Excellence in Engineering award.

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 02:50 PM
#0442 (Leegeneers)
Team Role: Alumni

Anthony S. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Anthony S. Send a message via Yahoo to Anthony S.
Cool We had two unique methods.

Our first method was grabbing the goal at the base using pneumatics. We called it and alligator grabber because thats what it looked like. Our second method was also using Pneumatics. We grabbed the poles using a kind of scissor method. I wish I could have given you a better description. Our website is terrible and doesn't have good pictures so good luck!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 05:03 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Check Team 45

Team 45 had some sort of a bar that extended out with a finger that would go into the slot between the Bar and the Wooden Base, they were excellent at grabbing from odd angles.

We too thought about it after our robot took so long to grab the bar since our design required the goal to be lined up pretty sqaure and after reigonals the best design we could think of was arms similar to the Hot Bot. They used them mostly to grab Big Balls with but they reached pretty much around the goal so they could grab it from any angle and even if it was off center from the gripper. However in the super short time period we completely messed up the cam action and gave the arms so much leverage the air cylinders couldn't hold it securely (completely backwards from what we wanted). With either of those 2 designs you would have a sure winner. Someone from either of the teams can explain their systems more clearly I am sure.

I have pictures, if you need them of some of the above stuff
Matt
I had such high hopes for that contraption too!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 05:45 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler
Speaking of goal grabbers.... i just finished a new design thats gonna go on the back of our bot (hopefully) for battlecry...

What it is is basically a ratchet mechanism so we just have to drive into the goal and it will lock on (in theory )

I attached 2 pictures of my new device...

Well i can't quite figure out how to attach a picture... the IMG button doesn't seem to be doing anything.. soo...

http://www.geocities.com/tas246tom/Grabber1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/tas246tom/Grabber2.jpg

If you are wondering how it works... just ask... or you can come and see me at battlecry and i'll explain it

Tom
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 05:46 PM
no team

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Pics of 45's Grabber/Stabber

Here is a pic of the new stabber we had for Motorola and Nationals.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 05:48 PM
no team

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Old Grabber

Here is the grabber that we used in Grand Rapids.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 05:52 PM
no team

Another Stabber Pic

Here is a pic of the stabber at the extended position...

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 07:55 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Woops... the links above didn't work... i'm going to upload my pics to CD now

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grabber1.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	12  
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 07:57 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

And the other pic of the goal grabber with a piece of the PVC in it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grabber2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	13  
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 08:01 PM
needs a clever user title
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

P.J. Baker is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. Baker is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. Baker is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. Baker is a glorious beacon of lightP.J. Baker is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Schindler
What it is is basically a ratchet mechanism so we just have to drive into the goal and it will lock on (in theory )

I attached 2 pictures of my new device...

Tom
Looks good! Are you going to attach a motor so that we can let go of the goal?

P.J.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 08:07 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

PJ.... I'm going to use 2 servos... one for each ratchet... i've just gotta get into the FIRST room so i can find a couple of them

Tom
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-11-2001, 09:20 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Talking 234's Pictures

Here are some pictures off of the "Beefeater", Team 234's robot. You will have to copy and paste the links into your browser because Geocities is retarded.

http://www.geocities.com/cbteam234_pics/Dscf0246.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/cbteam234/DSCF0249.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cbteam234/DSCF0273.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cbteam234/DSCF0274.JPG

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: