OCCRA
Go to Post I've never encountered a motor as forgiving as a CIM - Stall them for 20 seconds, run them hot on a short turnaround, or call them mean names in between matches and they'll just keep doing their thing. - thefro526 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:30 PM
AKA: Anja Sheppard
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2014
amstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant futureamstrudy has a brilliant future
paper: An Analysis of the FIRST Robotics Competition Shouting of "ROBOT!"

Thread created automatically to discuss a document in CD-Media.

An Analysis of the FIRST Robotics Competition Shouting of "ROBOT!" by amstrudy
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:31 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2003
marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: paper: An Analysis of the FIRST Robotics Competition Shouting of "ROBOT!"

I love it when a plan comes together.
Clarke's Laws
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:33 PM
AKA: Annie
FRC #0900 (Zebracorns)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2015
deusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond reputedeusXmachinist has a reputation beyond repute

I'm shook
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:37 PM
FRC #0900

MisterPNP is a splendid one to beholdMisterPNP is a splendid one to beholdMisterPNP is a splendid one to beholdMisterPNP is a splendid one to beholdMisterPNP is a splendid one to beholdMisterPNP is a splendid one to beholdMisterPNP is a splendid one to behold

Great whitepaper!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:44 PM
AKA: Aditya Bhatia
FRC #0900 (♞Zebracorns♞)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2017
adityab25 is a splendid one to beholdadityab25 is a splendid one to beholdadityab25 is a splendid one to beholdadityab25 is a splendid one to beholdadityab25 is a splendid one to beholdadityab25 is a splendid one to beholdadityab25 is a splendid one to behold

This needed to be said.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:50 PM
AKA: Michael Van Glahn Jr
FRC #0179

Rookie Year: 2000
thedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud ofthedries has much to be proud of

Great advice.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Founder of COR Robotics
AKA: Ryan Swanson
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
Ginger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond repute

I intentionally stand in the way of people shouting robot. I look them in the eyes and correct their misguided ways. (At least that's what I think about doing...)

Wasn't shouting "Robot" FIRST's recommended way of clearing a path in the pits? It would be cool if FIRST could come out and recommend a new process for clearing a path. The ground-breaking idea in this paper would be a great place to start.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 05:03 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Power View Post
Wasn't shouting "Robot" FIRST's recommended way of clearing a path in the pits? It would be cool if FIRST could come out and recommend a new process for clearing a path. The ground-breaking idea in this paper would be a great place to start.
If you look back at the older threads on that, it may have been "recommended" but teams were informed by the "Safety Advisors"* that it was "recommended"--or actually in some cases, "required".

There's been a LOT of pushback on it being either required or recommended, particularly the part where every pit around whoever is yelling yells too, over the last 7 years or so. Out here it's a little quieter and usually it's targeted for close range, at least what I've been hearing when I'm in the pits.

*I put this in quotes because for a while, it seemed like every other event someone had a complaint about either the requirement to yell robot or somebody in the green (now red) shirts telling someone working with rotary tools to wear gloves.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 05:13 PM
Jack of all trades, Master of none
AKA: Brian Wagg
FRC #3739 (Oakbotics)

Rookie Year: 2012
cad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud ofcad321 has much to be proud of

THANK YOU! Anytime I am with my team, moving our bot through the pits, I stress this emphatically. There is absolutely no reason to be shouting "robot" as loud as you can, when you are trying to clear a path. My go to phrase is either a polite, "watch your back guys, robot coming through," or, "excuse us." It's amazing how well this works (contrary to popular belief) and I don't even need to raise my voice in the process.

I remember being at a competition down south once, and the safety advisor at the competition actually insisted to us that we shout Robot while moving, as it was more "safe." I couldn't believe it.

To all those reading, please oh please stop this unnecessary tradition.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Always Scouting
AKA: James Comstock
FRC #0179 (The Children of The Swamp)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2006
MARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond reputeMARS_James has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MARS_James

Quote:
Originally Posted by cad321 View Post

I remember being at a competition down south once, and the safety advisor at the competition actually insisted to us that we shout Robot while moving, as it was more "safe." I couldn't believe it.
Not sure how far South you went but this is the unfortunate truth down here. We have now taken to having a member of the team stand in front of the cart and politely clear a path, we aren't the only team starting this change down here but we are still a minority.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Mentor
AKA: Nelson Green
FRC #1108 (Panther Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
ngreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond reputengreen has a reputation beyond repute

This paper could be more scientific, as it is lacking the control of not saying anything at all. It could be that "ROBOT!" impedes the natural crowd movement. Also, you could test against other methods like heralding trumpets or a car horn.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 07:49 PM
"Who's Marshall?"
FRC #0900 (The Zebracorns)

marshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond reputemarshall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngreen View Post
This paper could be more scientific, as it is lacking the control of not saying anything at all. It could be that "ROBOT!" impedes the natural crowd movement. Also, you could test against other methods like heralding trumpets or a car horn.
The problem with saying nothing as a control is that the basis for the paper is in getting the attention of others while trying to keep to a set schedule. Presumably, if we all paid attention then we wouldn’t need to conduct these invaluable scientific surveys to begin with.

Though heralding trumpets do sound cool.
Clarke's Laws
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 10:41 PM
AKA: Eric
FRC #1425 (Error Code Xero)

Rookie Year: 2004
SoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond reputeSoftwareBug2.0 has a reputation beyond repute

This should be required reading for safety advisors.

A very minor note: It looks like there are some LaTeX issues with the quotes going the wrong directions. That should be easy to fix.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-01-2018, 11:01 PM
plz give me red dots
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute

This is good advice for safely working in a pit environment. It can be a tough habit for some to break though. I have found that we get good results by dissuading unsafe behavior with the use of a Safety Stick (tm).

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-02-2018, 12:03 PM
we'll fix it in the pit
FRC #2706 (Merge Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2015
GreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond reputeGreyingJay has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this groundbreaking study.

Team 2706 will look into implementing the other suggestions from your paper as well, including not wearing intimidating-looking pants and refraining from running over the programmers while in the practice field. I think this will greatly decrease the turnover rates of our programming students. Great ideas.

"If I'm going to mentor someone, I'm going to be involved in their life as a positive force." -Mechvet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: