OCCRA
Go to Post We could not make weight so we got rid of the cRIO. - Mike Copioli [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 05:55 PM
Waiting for my Tableau Sponsorship
AKA: Mikal Dieatrick
no team (Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2014
MikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond reputeMikLast has a reputation beyond repute
[FRC Blog] FIRST TV Episode and New DLC Pack

https://www.firstinspires.org/roboti...9-firsttv-dlc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST Blog
FIRST TV Episode
We’ve got a significant change coming to the FIRST Robotics Competition Season in 2020. Tune in to our Twitch Channel on Tuesday, November 13 at 7:00 PM Eastern Time to hear all about it. Jamee Luce, FIRST Robotics Competition Team Advocate, will be hosting, and I will be the guest. This announcement is guaranteed to set the community buzzing; please join us!

New DLC Pack
We’ve just released a great new DLC pack for the upcoming Destination: Deep Space season. Check it out here!

Frank
Am I the only one that never saw DLC pack 1 get released?

Pack 2 has a poster, 4 ringtones, and a few backgrounds for social media (looks to be stuff from the trailer):

Join the FRC Discord!
FRC4513 (Circuit Breakers)
*Student: 2014-2017
*Drive Coach: 2016-2017

Volunteer
A/V: West Valley, PNW DCMP 2018
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-09-2018, 06:31 PM
Drive it like you stole it
AKA: Jack Ross
no team
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
JR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to beholdJR0405 is a splendid one to behold
Re: [FRC Blog] FIRST TV Episode and New DLC Pack

Destination: Deep Space is referenced as the 2018 game on the poster?

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2018, 12:24 PM
FirstUpdatesNow.com
FRC #3015 (Ranger Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois

Hosted by the FRC Team Advocate is more evidence IMO of the change being the elimination of Bag Day.

Team 3015
2018- Long Island Regional Champions with 1796 and 810
2018- Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2017- Buckeye Regional Chairman's Award
2017-Buckeye Regional Champions with 340 and 156
2017- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 191 and 3799
2016- World Championship Finalists and Tesla Division Champions with 2056, 1690, and 1405
2016- Greater Pittsburgh Regional Chairman's Award
2016- Pittsburgh Regional Finalists with 1023 and 4050
2015- Newton Division Finalists With 195 and 1756
2015- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 4039 and 378
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2018, 12:52 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Montois View Post
Hosted by the FRC Team Advocate is more evidence IMO of the change being the elimination of Bag Day.
If this announcement is the elimination of the bag, which I agree is looking more and more likely, could regionals then follow a district-style Thursday schedule of like 3-8pm? Getting all the teams inspected and connected to the field may be tough, but for teams it would allow students/mentors to miss less school/work on Thursday of home events. For away events, more teams could leave Thursday instead of Wednesday night, saving a night of hotel costs.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Robochick1319
AKA: Catherine Zende
FRC #1319 (Flash)

Rookie Year: 2004
robochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond reputerobochick1319 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
If this announcement is the elimination of the bag, which I agree is looking more and more likely, could regionals then follow a district-style Thursday schedule of like 3-8pm? Getting all the teams inspected and connected to the field may be tough, but for teams it would allow students/mentors to miss less school/work on Thursday of home events. For away events, more teams could leave Thursday instead of Wednesday night, saving a night of hotel costs.
Decent idea but for the amount of $$ Regional teams drop for one event, I want and expect a full practice day for inspection and practice field time. Especially since regionals usually have more teams and less qualifying matches.
2015 Curie Division Industrial Safety Award sponsored by Underwriters Laboratories
2015 Georgia Southern Classic Regional Champion
2010 Palmetto Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2008 Peachtree Regional Champion
2007 Galileo Division Champion
2007 Palmetto Regional Champion
2006 Boilermaker Regional Champion
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 08:10 PM
FirstUpdatesNow.com
FRC #3015 (Ranger Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois

Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind this. I think if they are getting rid of the bag a full practice day isn't really required. I hope they take this opportunity, if that's what they are doing, to make a few changes for the better.

I also think it might be somewhere in the middle. Maybe a half practice day like you mentioned with 8 hours a week of unbag time up until your first event. Then no access between your first event and any subsequent event.

I'm just not sure they'll go strictly no bag.

Team 3015
2018- Long Island Regional Champions with 1796 and 810
2018- Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2017- Buckeye Regional Chairman's Award
2017-Buckeye Regional Champions with 340 and 156
2017- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 191 and 3799
2016- World Championship Finalists and Tesla Division Champions with 2056, 1690, and 1405
2016- Greater Pittsburgh Regional Chairman's Award
2016- Pittsburgh Regional Finalists with 1023 and 4050
2015- Newton Division Finalists With 195 and 1756
2015- Finger Lakes Regional Champions with 4039 and 378
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Founder of COR Robotics
AKA: Ryan Swanson
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
Ginger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'd prefer to see this extra time be used for getting Regional teams more matches. Starting qualification matches Thursday evening would be feasible with no bag. It would increase the penalty for showing up to a Regional without a rule compliant robot... and getting through 60+ inspections is hard enough in the time we currently have... but I think it would at least be an option on the table with no bag.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM
FRC #5588 (Reign)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind this. I think if they are getting rid of the bag a full practice day isn't really required. I hope they take this opportunity, if that's what they are doing, to make a few changes for the better.

I also think it might be somewhere in the middle. Maybe a half practice day like you mentioned with 8 hours a week of unbag time up until your first event. Then no access between your first event and any subsequent event.

I'm just not sure they'll go strictly no bag.
I agree that I don't think they will go all the way to no bag. I expect it will be similar to the district system where you get X hours of unbag time in the week preceding your event(s). Not allowing un-bag time between events would be tragic as it will negate the ability to improve the machine after the real world test at your first event.
Mentor FRC #2046 Bear Metal 2009-2015 but always a Bear
Lead Coach FRC #5588 Reign 2015-
Lead Enabler Ri3d "Team Redacted" 2015-2017
FIRST Senior Mentor, Washington State, 2012-2017
FIRST Washington Assistant Fieldhouse Manager 2018-

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-...77508782410839
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 09:42 PM
love/hate relationship with swerve
AKA: Parthiv Krishna
FRC #3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) and FTC #13471 Mentor (Vortechs)

Rookie Year: 2016
pkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond reputepkrishna3082 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I agree that I don't think they will go all the way to no bag. I expect it will be similar to the district system where you get X hours of unbag time in the week preceding your event(s). Not allowing un-bag time between events would be tragic as it will negate the ability to improve the machine after the real world test at your first event.
Unbag between events would further disadvantage teams who play one time late in the season.

“Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.”
2010-2011: FLL 11083, 13873 (Minnetonka Silver) - Programmer
2016-: FRC 3082 (Chicken Bot Pie) - Engineering Captain, Driver, Programming Lead
2017-: FTC 13471 (Minnetonka) - Founding Mentor
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 11:15 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrishna3082 View Post
Unbag between events would further disadvantage teams who play one time late in the season.
Not necessarily.
The rule as currently written is that you get one unbag time limit before each event. If you're playing your cards right, that gives you X time to snoop around a bit and borrow design inspiration, and 6 hours and 30 lb to add and test it in your shop, rather than show up at competition with 30 lb to wait for space on the practice field/test in the pit.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 09:30 AM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Not necessarily.
The rule as currently written is that you get one unbag time limit before each event. If you're playing your cards right, that gives you X time to snoop around a bit and borrow design inspiration, and 6 hours and 30 lb to add and test it in your shop, rather than show up at competition with 30 lb to wait for space on the practice field/test in the pit.
I think you've misallocated the time slightly.

Under 2017 rules (the one year where I lived the Robot Access Period life, 2019 may vary), you could fabricate all you wanted but only bring 30 pounds to the 6-hour Robot Access Period. So in preparation for our second district event we had our whole (sub-30-pound) gear pocket replacement fabricated, hand-lettered, verified on our practice robot, and ready to mount on the competition robot shortly after breaking the seal. It was kind of a thing of beauty.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:43 AM
Mentor, LRI, MN RPC
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Rookie Year: 2006
Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Power View Post
I'd prefer to see this extra time be used for getting Regional teams more matches. Starting qualification matches Thursday evening would be feasible with no bag. It would increase the penalty for showing up to a Regional without a rule compliant robot... and getting through 60+ inspections is hard enough in the time we currently have... but I think it would at least be an option on the table with no bag.
If teams were better prepared Thursday morning, inspections would go much quicker. The problem is, at a 60 team event you'll have 5 that are ready for inspection in the first hour, 20 before lunch. Another 20 come up at lunch (because the field is shut down) and have to wait until inspectors finish eating and work through the backlog. In the afternoon you get a few more and finish off those that had fixes to do, and in the last couple of hours after the field shuts down you get the last 10 (hopefully!).

The prevailing theory is that, by offering teams unbag time and a compressed inspection window, they would show up more prepared and you would be able to fully utilize your inspectors the entire morning. Give me 10 inspectors, 4 hours, and well prepared teams that are ready to be inspected when the doors open, and we can get through 60 teams. The reality is going to be somewhere in the middle, I think - you would have more teams ready, but still have those that need more time to get ready, or find something big that needs to be changed before they can pass. The rule introduced last year around unbagging for pre-event inspections with an LRI is certainly a step towards helping with that issue, but it's a little limited by the relatively small number of volunteers eligible to facilitate it and their limited time and geographic availability. If we move towards a more compressed practice schedule in order to get more qualification matches in, I would want to see that rule expanded so it's practical for more teams.
2016: Lake Superior WFFA
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Flywheel Police
AKA: Matthew Lythgoe
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2009
notmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond reputenotmattlythgoe has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
If teams were better prepared Thursday morning, inspections would go much quicker. The problem is, at a 60 team event you'll have 5 that are ready for inspection in the first hour, 20 before lunch. Another 20 come up at lunch (because the field is shut down) and have to wait until inspectors finish eating and work through the backlog. In the afternoon you get a few more and finish off those that had fixes to do, and in the last couple of hours after the field shuts down you get the last 10 (hopefully!).

The prevailing theory is that, by offering teams unbag time and a compressed inspection window, they would show up more prepared and you would be able to fully utilize your inspectors the entire morning. Give me 10 inspectors, 4 hours, and well prepared teams that are ready to be inspected when the doors open, and we can get through 60 teams. The reality is going to be somewhere in the middle, I think - you would have more teams ready, but still have those that need more time to get ready, or find something big that needs to be changed before they can pass. The rule introduced last year around unbagging for pre-event inspections with an LRI is certainly a step towards helping with that issue, but it's a little limited by the relatively small number of volunteers eligible to facilitate it and their limited time and geographic availability. If we move towards a more compressed practice schedule in order to get more qualification matches in, I would want to see that rule expanded so it's practical for more teams.
The first year of the switch to districts is hard because of this. Teams are used to having that extra time at the event. However, teams adjust and get used to it.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:00 AM
Founder of COR Robotics
AKA: Ryan Swanson
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
Ginger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond reputeGinger Power has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stratis View Post
The rule introduced last year around unbagging for pre-event inspections with an LRI is certainly a step towards helping with that issue, but it's a little limited by the relatively small number of volunteers eligible to facilitate it and their limited time and geographic availability. If we move towards a more compressed practice schedule in order to get more qualification matches in, I would want to see that rule expanded so it's practical for more teams.
Realistically with no bag, wouldn't it be possible to do some inspections before the official event? At a week zero (or after the current end of build season but before a team's first event) or something like that? I don't have time to think through the full implications of such a rule right now but how dumb of an idea is it?

Obviously teams can change significantly between the time of inspection and the event, but couldn't these changes be treated like modifications made at an event? Just a thought, there might be a lot of problems with it though.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-13-2018, 11:40 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Hopefully my shorts on bag suppliers will pay off!

Need help? Check out 973 Remote Assistance and Mentorship Program.

2017 "World Champions"
2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: