OCCRA
Go to Post I like to divide checklists like this into "stuff I have to do before applying power" and "stuff I'll find faster by watching it fail". - EricVanWyk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Tech Challenge
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Coach team 1322
FRC #1322 (G.R.A.Y.T. Leviathons)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2000
joeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant futurejoeweber has a brilliant future
[FTC]: Servocity structral elements verses pitsco.

Has anybody used servocity structral elements for FTC? We have been using Tetrix for years and have been disappointed in the axels and set screw system. From what I have seen servocity has better axels and real bearings.

FRC Team sitehttp://team1322.org/
2004 Great Lakes Xerox Creativity Award, 2008 Web Site Excellence Award, 2010 Kettering District and Western Michigan District Excellence in Engineering award, 2011 Kettering District Gracious Professionalism Award. 2011 Ann Arbor and State Cooperation Awards.2013 Kettering Xeroc Creativity Award.2015 Escanaba Chairman's Award.2015 Kettering Spirit Award.2016 Kettering Chairman's Award
FTC Lightining Boltz 5954, Thunder Botz 7032http://team1322.org/vex.htm
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Another day, gotta give 'em hell
AKA: It's burning straight through the dark...
FRC #1293 (Pandamaniacs); FTC #11444 (Garnet Squadron) (Also, CD mod.)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FTC]: Servocity structral elements verses pitsco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeweber View Post
Has anybody used servocity structral elements for FTC? We have been using Tetrix for years and have been disappointed in the axels and set screw system. From what I have seen servocity has better axels and real bearings.
Actobotics is absolutely a weapon of choice among the punched-metal builders (versus the T-slot-based approach of REV). Only real drawbacks I've heard reported are that the hole pattern is different from TETRIX (and thus AndyMark and goBilda), and since it's not available in the FIRST storefront it's more challenging to use some grant funds on it. Neither of those are the end of the world, but how relevant they are depends on your circumstances.

2004-2006: FRC 1293 (D5 Robotics) - Student, Mentor, Coach
2007-2009: FRC 1618 (Capital Robotics) - Mentor, Coach
2009-2013: FRC 2815 (Los Pollos Locos) - Mentor, Coach - Palmetto '09, Peachtree '11, Palmetto '11, Palmetto '12
2010: FRC 1398 (Keenan Robo-Raiders) - Mentor - Palmetto '10
2014-2016: FRC 4901 (Garnet Squadron) - Co-Founder and Head Bot Coach - Orlando '14, SCRIW '16
2017: FRC 5402 (Iron Kings) - Mentor, Coach (oh, and I worked at AndyMark during this time)
2018-: FRC 1293 (Pandamaniacs) - Mentor

117 events (more than will fit in a ChiefDelphi signature), 15 seasons, over 74,500 miles, and still on a mission from Bob.
Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Somebody Else
AKA: Gus Michel II
no team

Rookie Year: 2013
GeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond reputeGeeTwo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FTC]: Servocity structral elements verses pitsco.

I've bought plenty of servos and some accessories at ServoCity, but the prices of their structural elements have sent me elsewhere. I have also used actobotics for light duty FRC manipulators, such as the shaft hardware and hubs for 3946's scoosh (gear manipulator) in 2017; good stuff. I was happier with it than the REV motor mounts and such.

If you can't find time to do it right, how are you going to find time to do it over?
If you don't pass it on, it never happened.
Robots are great, but inspiration is the reason we're here.
Friends don't let friends use master links.
[Quoting brennonbrimhall]: We design a new robot every year, but we can't forget that we also design a new team every year as folks come and go.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-12-2018, 05:55 PM
FRC #1533 (Triple Strange)

Rookie Year: 2014
wgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to beholdwgorgen is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: [FTC]: Servocity structral elements verses pitsco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTwo View Post
I've bought plenty of servos and some accessories at ServoCity, but the prices of their structural elements have sent me elsewhere. I have also used actobotics for light duty FRC manipulators, such as the shaft hardware and hubs for 3946's scoosh (gear manipulator) in 2017; good stuff. I was happier with it than the REV motor mounts and such.
The Actobotics system is superior quality to the Tetrix system.
  • The 0.25" D-shafts are much better than the Tetrix shafts, come in a wider variety of lengths and have higher torque carrying capability (but it is still not good practice to use the shafts to transmit high torque)
  • The D hubs that Actobotics uses do not have the issues of the set screw coming loose and spinning on the shaft
  • Using bearings instead of bushings makes everything run smoother with less friction and more power going to the wheels or mechanisms
  • The structural components have a larger number of holes which allow for a greater flexibility in attaching components
  • The Actobotics system has a wide variety of special components like splice plates, gussets angles and so on that make it far easier to attach the structural elements together in very rigid assemblies

I will admit that you pay a little more for the quality that you get, but some of that is expected (a bearing does cost more than a bushing, for example). Last time that I priced out the structural elements, the prices were very similar for comparable lengths.

They do have adapter pieces that can be used to match the hole pattern of the Tetrix system (they have adapters for the structural components, motor mount holes that fit the andymark motor end mounting holes, D-hubs that fit the tetrix wheel hub pattern and couplers to join different diameter shafts), so if you want to mix and match, you can. But our teams tend to pick one system and use it pretty much exclusively.

One of our 4 FTC teams has been using the Actobotics system for the past 3 years and produced amazingly robust robots. The robots never seem to need the regular set screw re-tightening that the tetrix based bots do. A second team decided to switch over to Actobotics this year and seem to really be liking it. A 3rd team is experimenting with the T-slot (80-20) approach with some success, but that system is not as easy to build with and it is not as easy to mount things to the frame using that system. The 4th team is still using the Tetrix system.

I would say that, other than the price, one of the biggest challenges is the sheer variety of parts that are available. Once you take them out of the bag, it is often hard to tell whether the coupler is for a 6mm shaft or a 0.25" shaft, for example. We have ended up with a lot of parts and it is hard to keep them all sorted so that they can be easily located. So we end up ordering new parts rather than finding and using the parts that we already have. Part of the problem is we still have shelves full of Tetrix parts as well, so our storage space need has tripled and we have not been diligent at adding the extra storage and sorting bins, so the parts tend to end up collecting in totes without any real organization.

Bottom line - Actobotics gets 2 thumbs up from our club!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: