OCCRA
Go to Post Thanks for giving up your holiday for Science! - Foster [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-30-2006, 08:01 PM
AKA: Tom Poore
FRC #1519 (Mechanical Mayhem)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Tapoore is a glorious beacon of lightTapoore is a glorious beacon of lightTapoore is a glorious beacon of lightTapoore is a glorious beacon of lightTapoore is a glorious beacon of lightTapoore is a glorious beacon of light
Re: How to build a Custom CNC

That looks very good! I came across this design a few weeks ago.
* 2006, 2010, 2011 Granite State Regional Champions, 2009 Chairman's Award
* 2012, 2013 North Carolina Champions
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-01-2006, 10:06 PM
AKA: Ross Kowalski
FRC #0348 (Norwell Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
cdfps is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrote a cnc plotter program that took hpgl files and output steps out of the parallel port. I was building plotter / cnc machines at the time and there wasn't much code avilable.

A great resource is Luberth Dijkman in the netherlands. I think there is still a copy of my code there in the archives written in of all things..Pascal.

Here is a link to that page.

http://cstep.luberth.com/

A couple of other names are Ian Harries and Tomi Engdahl.

I think both were Brits. If you google either of those names and "tandon disk drive" you should get some intresting info on a "free" source for stepper controller boards and motors.

The old full height 5 1/4 disk drives for IBM were made by Tandon. Each has a TTL level control (you can control it with the parallel port of your computer) that Engdahl has mapped for you. The stepper motors are kind of weak but are great for building an experimental cnc / plotter / engraver.

A student of mine build one three or four years ago using tandon control boards, information from the above sites, and a bunch of MDF.

http://www.smallmetals.com/educoopwi...r.MikesPlotter

Building plotters and CNC machines was an educational experience, I would suggest starting with a NC etch-a-sketch run from the paralel port using tandon driver boards and tandon steppers. If you make it print out the first logo and bring it to a competition....

Good luck,
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:00 PM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)

Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Hancoc
Engadget has a really great 2+ part article on how to build a Home CNC. This is part one of ??? I will post the links to the later parts as they are posted...
If any team doesnt have to money for a 2 million dollar HAAS machine but still wants a small CNC for making parts check this out

(I realize not all HAAS CNC's are 2 million dollars but it sounds good for the purpose of a shock factor)

HAAS machines are definitely not 2 million dollars..... but I use a Hurco VM-2 at work, its a much much better value than a Haas.

Tons more accurate too..... sub-tenth-thousandth chord tolerances and repeatable as all get out. Awesome user interface, very small footprint for the work cube size. Designed and serviced from Indianapolis. Sorry, I just really really like the machine.

Link to their website

Link to the VM home page

You can see their display at IMTS (Link)

Or at the free Brickyard 400 Open House (Link)

I can answer any ?'s you like. We have 2 homebuilt CNC machines as well (6'x12' and a 3'x2').

-Q
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Volkswagen Enthusiast
AKA: Bill Hancock
FRC #0573 (MechWarriors)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2005
Bill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bill_Hancoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbranch

HAAS machines are definitely not 2 million dollars..... but I use a Hurco VM-2 at work, its a much much better value than a Haas.

Tons more accurate too..... sub-tenth-thousandth chord tolerances and repeatable as all get out. Awesome user interface, very small footprint for the work cube size. Designed and serviced from Indianapolis. Sorry, I just really really like the machine.
]
Personally i prefer Toshiba Machines and Mori Seiki...both very high quality...Toshiba machines are a pretty good budget and Mori Seiki are like the Rolls Royce of CNC's they are made to run full speed for weeks on end and have very high tolerances that are compensated for in heat changes and other small factors

MechWarriors 573

#20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:54 PM
Volkswagen Enthusiast
FRC #0573 (MechWarriors)

Bill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud ofBill_Hancoc has much to be proud of

How-To: Build your own CNC machine (Part 2)
Like i said here is part 2

MechWarriors 573

#21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Engineering Tech
FRC #0122 (NASA Knights)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
D.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of lightD.Fahringer is a glorious beacon of light

I just retrofitted my knee mill Bridgeport copy and it is amazing what is out there these days to do this! Mine is based on the Logitrol 3 axis large servo system sold by "lowcostcncretrofits.com of Australia...great package and well worth the $2,500. (I got mine on an eBay auction for $2,000). I use Mach 3 from Artsoft to program and control it...another fantastic value at $159.00 Some pictures are below...

Dave Fahringer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	4492  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	4493  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	4494  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	4495  

Last edited by D.Fahringer : 07-08-2006 at 09:36 PM. Reason: pictures won't show
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-07-2006, 11:51 PM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I am SO jealous. That is just awesome. Now I REALLY want to convert my little benchtop machine.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-08-2006, 06:12 PM
AKA: Brian Graham
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

Not2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond repute

I just purchased a 3-axis controller kit from www.hobbycnc.com - I'll have to let you all know how it turns out. This one goes into a retrofit Emco F1 CNC Mill. If everything works well, the second one I order will go into my own home-made CNC router.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
2008 FIRST Volunteer =D
FRC #1591 (Greece Gladiators)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2004
Steve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the roughSteve S. is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Steve S. Send a message via MSN to Steve S. Send a message via Yahoo to Steve S.

look for one in our teams pit at the 2007 FLR
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Volkswagen Enthusiast
FRC #0573 (MechWarriors)

And as i Promised Part 3 of i think 3 but im not really sure...feel free to correct me if i am in mistake but from the sound of it i think it is the end (yes i did make this like intentionally long

MechWarriors 573

Last edited by Bill_Hancoc : 07-12-2006 at 11:28 PM.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
On to my 18th year in FRC
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

In case anyone was interested HobbyCNC has their 3 axis driver board kit and 200 oz-in dual shaft stepper combo on sale for $179. Seems like a great deal; I just bought one for my Sieg X1 micro mill. It should be noted that the driver board is in kit fashion and you must assemble (solder) it yourself. Also, you will need some additional components such as a transformer, bridge rectifier, fan, etc.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-18-2006, 09:16 PM
wow college goes fast.
AKA: Alex
FRC #1024 (Kil-A-Bytes)

Qbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond reputeQbranch has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Hancoc
Personally i prefer Toshiba Machines and Mori Seiki...both very high quality...Toshiba machines are a pretty good budget and Mori Seiki are like the Rolls Royce of CNC's they are made to run full speed for weeks on end and have very high tolerances that are compensated for in heat changes and other small factors

Yes, mori-seki makes very good stuff, and the price is higher but not bad, but... its nice to have the headquarters of the company in your town. That was one of the big draws we had to hurco.

-Q
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-25-2006, 07:01 PM
no team (Synergy)

Rookie Year: 2001
Dick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond reputeDick Linn has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dick Linn

A couple of interesting sites for those of you wanting relatively low-cost cnc with serious capabilities:

http://www.tormach.com/

http://www.industrialhobbies.com/

And for an inexpensive mill that can be retrofit:

http://www.lathemaster.com/HEAVYDUTY...E%207045FG.htm

Proud father of Marine LCpl. Karl R. Linn
Co-founder Team 975
KIA, Iraq 1/26/2005
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2006, 05:13 PM
AKA: Brian Graham
FRC #0862 (Lightning Robotics)

Not2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond reputeNot2B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2B
I'm going to retrofit an old Emco F1 CNC mill this summer. The school was getting rid of it, so I thought I could repair it and get it working for simple stuff for the team. I mean - better than nothing, right?

http://static.flickr.com/58/16500066...73e819.jpg?v=0
WOO HOO! As of today, around 3:30 pm EST, the retrofit baby mill woke up, and moved. The way I wanted it too.

Just gotta get the spindle spinning and then we can make... uh... really really tiny things. 4" by 8" window to machine in. That's big enough to make gear box parts I figure.

Besides, even if we never use it, the team can learn what IS possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: