Go to Post Team newb: To expect any average group of high schoolers to build and develop a robot in less than six weeks is...madness! Me: Madness? THIS IS FIRST! - MishraArtificer [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Awards
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 04:55 PM
FRC #2357

tagger is an unknown quantity at this point
Rookie award

For the rookie equivalent to the chairmen award, do we need to turn in our executive summary online tonight, or is there a different turn in date/location for the rookie version? Thanks for any help hopefully this will be viewed soon, it doesn't seem like many people visit this sub forum =P. My apologies if this has already been asked, the search function isn't always as clear as you would like it to be.

Last edited by tagger : 02-21-2008 at 04:58 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:02 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rookie award

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagger View Post
For the rookie equivalent to the chairmen award, do we need to turn in our executive summary online tonight, or is there a different turn in date/location for the rookie version? Thanks for any help hopefully this will be viewed soon, it doesn't seem like many people visit this sub forum =P.
You're looking for the Rookie All-Star, right? Well, you are not required to submit a Chairman's Award entry (unless you are a NASA team), but it is highly recommended. That said, you need to follow the Chairman's Award submission rules, which clearly say that you have to have it in--all of it--by TONIGHT at 11:59 PM EST. (Right now, it's about 5 PM EST.)

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked it up in the awards section on page 7 and I believe it said to write it as you would a Chairman's and bring a copy of it for the judges to read in your pit station, that they would not be reading it on-line as they will the Chairman's Award submissions.

I would strongly suggest that Tagger read the section of the manual regarding the rookie awards and get clarification from there.

http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...wards-RevB.pdf

(I could surely be adding confusion)
Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)

Last edited by JaneYoung : 02-21-2008 at 05:12 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:15 PM
FRC #2357

That is the source of the confusion actually, it says we should do everything we would for the Chairman's Award, but it says they will not view it online. So do we just print out a copy of our essays and stuff, or submit it? ><
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:19 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneYoung View Post
I just looked it up in the awards section on page 7 and I believe it said to write it as you would a Chairman's and bring a copy of it for the judges to read in your pit station, that they would not be reading it on-line as they will the Chairman's Award submissions.

I would strongly suggest that Tagger read the section of the manual regarding the rookie awards and get clarification from there.

http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles...wards-RevB.pdf

(I could surely be adding confusion)
Jane
You are...but only a little. You submit online, but bring a copy (or several) to the event because the rookie award judges don't read the Chairman's entries online and the Chairman's judges see "Rookie team. They don't qualify" and skip the submission. Or you could just bring it to the event, but it might be better to submit online anyway.

Oh yeah, and Page 13, same part of the manual, says that rookies are encouraged to enter a Chairman's submission. I'd just do both--online, and in print.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Onward through the fog.
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagger View Post
That is the source of the confusion actually, it says we should do everything we would for the Chairman's Award, but it says they will not view it online. So do we just print out a copy of our essays and stuff, or submit it? ><
Tagger, I don't believe the manual is confusing regarding this.
It breaks the awards for rookies down pretty clearly, providing instructions as to what to do.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
FRC #2357

Quote:
Tagger, I don't believe the manual is confusing regarding this.
It breaks the awards for rookies down pretty clearly, providing instructions as to what to do.
Everyone thinks differently and I found this confusing, its not that I haven't read it, I've been lurking these forums, printed and read just about every update/document, I just found the wording unclear in this area. We will probably do what was suggested earlier, submit online just in case, and bring in the copy, I was just hoping that we did not need to submit online because we had a snow day today, so it will be somewhat hard to gather the people with the right information to put everything together. Not impossible just a hassle that we don't want to go through if it can be avoided.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: