Go to Post It is impossible to be grumpy about anything when eating biscotti made by one's beautiful wife, drinking tea sweetened by one's own honey, warmed by a wood stove, and with a dog asleep on one's foot. Simply impossible. - pfreivald [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2009, 07:38 PM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel
FP Gearbox: Last stage gear?

Does anyone know the DP (or module) and pressure angle of the gears in the FP gearbox's last stage (2009 model with the two blue final stages)? The pinion is a 12 teeth gear that our gear drawing software (GearTrax) can't possibly match - odd shaped teeth which does not appear to be an integer DP or usual module.

Those two old threads from very respectable sources indicate 15DP and 16DP, but the 12 teeth gear I have in my hands is a log bigger than that - I believe those gearboxes have changed a bit over the past few years.

Any gear experts over here?
Team # 383
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2001
kevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit
Re: FP Gearbox: Last stage gear?

You can try measuring the diameter and counting the number teeth, you should be able to look up the pitch on a table at that point. I haven't opened the new fisher prices so I don't know off the top of my head.

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:30 PM
FRC #0383 (Brazilian Machine)
Team Role: Mentor

Manoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond reputeManoel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Manoel Send a message via MSN to Manoel

Well, I gave it another shot, and the best I could measure the very last gear (38 teeth, with the extended plastic) is 2.25 module, 20 degrees pressure angle (nearly perfect match). The 12 tooth gear, the one I was interested in, does not appear to be the same, by a good margin, which is obviously very weird.

Since I'm not a gear expert, not even a mechanical guy, I'll leave this one for the MEs out there. For our application, close enough was more than we needed, so we just drew the gear profile "by eye", machined it on our home-made CNC mill, measured, and iterated - only took two shots!
Team # 383
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2009, 11:05 PM
2017... Oooh Kill em, Swerve!
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quick question I wanted to cnc gears on my cnc but what tools or bits would I need to get the job done?

Thanks in advance.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2001
kevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond reputekevin.li.rit has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit

That will depend on the size of the gear and the material. The smaller the teeth, the smaller the cutter, I assume.

596 - Sciclones
1405 - Finney Falcons
2262 - Holliston Panthers
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Occasionally Correct
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Justin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Justin Stiltner Send a message via AIM to Justin Stiltner Send a message via MSN to Justin Stiltner Send a message via Yahoo to Justin Stiltner

Normally this requires an involute gear cutter(or hob), of which there will be several for the same Diametrical Pitch value, as the profile of the cutter needs to change a bit due to the number of teeth. You can also grind a peice of tool steel to make a form tool and use it as a single point cutter. OR if the tooth profile is large enough, you can use a properly sized end mill to cut the gear on a 3 axis mill. However this would likely be a very hard thing to accomplish(in something other than plastic / wood), for reasons I wont go into here. So, if you have a 4 axis CNC or a manual mill with a dividing head, or rotary table look into the involute gear cutters.
If you want to search around some, another word for gear cutting is hobbing.
Here is one example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTXa...eature=related
and here is another, using a different style cutter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62yme...eature=related

Last edited by Justin Stiltner : 02-04-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: