Go to Post Here is one really important thing I learnt this season: If you do it for yourself, you ain't gonna make it. If you do it for you're team, You'll make it. - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Alumni
AKA: Ken Condon
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
reversed_rocker is on a distinguished road
pic: T-Shirt Launcher, still needs a chasis

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:21 AM
anonymous internet person
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2006
s_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond reputes_forbes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: T-Shirt Launcher, still needs a chasis

Nice revolver! That's something we wanted to add to our t-shirt cannon but never got around to doing. We were worried about air leaks where the revolver seals on the barrel... do you notice any issues like that with your set up? I like the use of 3 compressors too, how long is the shot to shot recharge time?

Very cool project, hope you get it mounted on a base soon and start shooting some engineering-enthusiasm into crowds.

EDIT: oh yeah, pvc and exploding and all that... someone's bound to go into more detail later in this thread
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Not so Custom User Title
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 12:07 PM
1557 alumni, 4639 mentor
AKA: adam spears
FRC #4639 (RoboSpartans)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
gorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond reputegorrilla has a reputation beyond repute

sweet!! how did you guys get revolvers' chamber to rotate? or is it manual?

Team 1557 2007-2011 student-Lake County FL

Current Team 4639 mentor- Houston TX
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Alicia Albrecht
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)
Team Role: Electrical

amariealbrecht has a spectacular aura aboutamariealbrecht has a spectacular aura aboutamariealbrecht has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to amariealbrecht

Thats awesome...good work!
Hopet that you can have some fun with that later in the season, good choice of an offseason project!

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:48 PM
obsessed with FIRST...
FRC #1565 (Think Tank Tech)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
tseres is a glorious beacon of lighttseres is a glorious beacon of lighttseres is a glorious beacon of lighttseres is a glorious beacon of lighttseres is a glorious beacon of lighttseres is a glorious beacon of light

forget a chassis!!!!! i want that thing shoulder-mounted!!!

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
FRC Emcee
AKA: @FRCZach
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
Zach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond repute

Man that's cool! Nice revolver design also. How does loading work?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Student Leader & Electrical Captain
AKA: Aaron F
FRC #3060 (The Fighting Tuna)

Rookie Year: 2004
surferacf will become famous soon enough

I see so much WIN in this picture... I want to cry.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:37 PM
FRC #2338 (Gear it Forward)

Creator Mat is a jewel in the roughCreator Mat is a jewel in the roughCreator Mat is a jewel in the roughCreator Mat is a jewel in the rough

got to do something with all that old equipment laying around.

An yes that is amazing.

2010 Midwest Spirit award
2010 Midwest Quarterfinalists
2010 Wisconsin Quarterfinalists
2009 Midwest Finalists
2009 Wisconsin Quarterfinalists
2008 Midwest Rookie AllStars
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Alumni
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)

alright i'll try to answer the questions in the order they arrived:

1.The revolver hasnt caused any leaking, the chambers are slightly smaller than the barrel itself and are mounted to a single piece of acrylic. Also, the parts were all CNCed so they fit together extremely well. Theres a switch at the bottom of the revolver that will stops it each time a new chamber is lined up. Since the chambers are cylindrical, the switch will only trigger at the absolute lowest point on the chamber (which also happens to be the center).

2. We used all pressure rated PVC and never let it get above 60 psi, no matter how much we want to . I know where you're coming from tho, using PVC gave me the jitters at first

3. I havent really timed how long it takes to fill with air... im guessing around 20 seconds? i'll see if i can get you a more proper estimate.

4. There are 3 motors on the cannon, one to rotate the base for aiming, one on a worm gear to change the launch angle, and finally one to rotate the revolver.

5.You can load tshirts in any chamber thats not in the barrel. You just shove the tshirt in any of the rotating chambers that you can get to. Normally the revolver spins only when the cannon is shot, but we also put a loading button on the joystick so we can cycle through the chambers to load them all. When we're firing, i mentioned the switch below the revolver earlier. After each shot, the revolver spins until the bottom of the chamber triggers the switch. If anyone's interested i can post the code

at the moment we have two chasis for consideration. We are either going to build a new chasis with tank treads or possible 6 wheel tank drive, or steal the chasis and crab drive from our lunacy bot (with much bigger off road tires of course) I for one am voting for the tank treads
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

Rule #1 when making air cannons is do not use PVC.

Rule #2 is DO NOT USE PVC.

There are huge safety concerns with PVC, because PVC IS NOT DESIGNED TO HOLD ANY KIND OF COMPRESSED GAS, AND HAS BEEN BANNED BY OSHA FOR USE WITH PRESSURIZED GAS IN INDUSTRY. PVC has the awful tendency to spontaneously explode when pressurized with any kind of gas, even if that pressure is below the maximum pressure stamped on the pipe. (The max pressure rating for PVC is ONLY for liquids, such as water).

On a personal note, one of my friends had a PVC air cannon explode while holding it a few weeks ago. He wasn't even moving, and the air cannon didn't hit anything. He was just standing there, holding the pressurized air cannon, when it spontaneously exploded between his arm and his body. He was very lucky in that the way the shrapnel flew out, nearly all of it missed him. His jacket on that side of his body was not so lucky, and literally was torn to shreds.

Since this air cannon is being shown as for "marketing", it seems like it would most likely be used at public appearances. In order to protect any innocent bystanders from possible exploding PVC shrapnel, I would seriously urge your team to avoid using PVC on the air cannon at all costs.

I don't want to sound negative here, but at the same time I don't want to see people put themselves in dangerous situations.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:15 PM
AKA: Zeno Le Héricy
FRC #2915 (Riverdale Robotics Pandamonium)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
ZInventor is just really niceZInventor is just really niceZInventor is just really niceZInventor is just really nice

I agree with the concerns about the PVC, but, is there an alternative that would be anywhere light enough?(not metal)

I've seen 400PSI rated ABS blow a hole in the ground at 60PSI when a cannon of mine fired, not a pretty site...

overall, the only solution i have found is to wrap the whole thing in Molecular Bonding Tape (adheres to itself on a molecular level giving a shock strength of 1500PSI) then again in duct tape for appearance (and cachage of schrapnel that gets through the molecular tape)

after that, i've gone to metal for most of my cannons... since it'll bend, not shatter if it has to...

Do you by any chance have Inventor drawings of this???

I've been working on a similar project,but haven't gotten the revolving part down quite yet...

video? Please?

thanks,

-Z

Last edited by ZInventor : 03-17-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: answered one of own questions
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Mentor FRC 5046, FTC 8688
AKA: Chad
FRC #5046 (Jacked Up Jackets)

Rookie Year: 2009
IceStorm is a glorious beacon of lightIceStorm is a glorious beacon of lightIceStorm is a glorious beacon of lightIceStorm is a glorious beacon of lightIceStorm is a glorious beacon of light

so are there any drawings of this thing out there that you would be willing to share with other teams. I would love to look closer at it.

i totally agree about upgrading to metal though. the last tater cannon we built was air powered and we actually had a remote firing system on it so that we could be in the barn watching it incase it blew up.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 09:48 PM
AKA: Will
FRC #0955 (CV Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2004
Fe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud ofFe_Will has much to be proud of

Since you have access to a CNC I recommend Using a Geneva Drive to index the chambers. We have some experience with one and it works well if manufactured to close tolerances and well lubed.

Last edited by Fe_Will : 03-18-2009 at 02:59 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Alumni
FRC #0706 (Cyberhawks)

i'll talk to one of the mechanical guys and see if we can get some drawings out on the internet (they lock me in a dark closet and make me write code all day). As for the exploding part, the only part of the cannon that holds pressure is the air tank on the bottom of the barrel, i'll see if we can get that replaced with a safer material, all other valves, pipes, ect. are metal.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cHf3iY4h9k

sorry the video isnt that great, we finished the cannon right before build season. the website isnt quite up to date either.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: