OCCRA
Go to Post Please search before you post (it's fun and free!) - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Seth Berg
AKA: Seth Berg
FRC #0694 (Stuy Pulse)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
Ice Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Ice Berg
Team 71's 2002 robot

Hey,

So I wasn't around in 2002, but I have heard many stories about team 71's robot that year. I have seen video from Einstein, and I am very curious as to how the "walking" mechanism worked. If someone from 71, or anyone who remembers, could explain it or has pics, that would great.

Thanks,

Seth

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:48 PM
The Blue Alliance
FRC #0604 (Quixilver)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Eugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond reputeEugene Fang has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team 71's 2002 robot

Here's a video:

http://www.thebluealliance.net/tbatv/team/71/2002

Various FLL Teams - Student (2000-2006), Mentor (2007-2010)
FRC Team 604 - Student (2007-2010), Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-Present)
FRC Team 1323 - Mentor/Remote Advisor (2011-2014)

The Blue Alliance | TBA GameDay | TBA Android App | TBA Blog | TBA Swag
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Student Strategist
AKA: Mike Fouchet
FRC #0870 (RICE)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2006
Magnechu has a spectacular aura aboutMagnechu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Magnechu

I just want to make sure I'm getting this right lol:
It was impossible for the other alliance to win if 71 got their thing out quick enough, am I right?
SBPLI Semi Finalists 2007 2008 (#1 seed) 2009 (#1 seed)
Galileo Finalists 2009 (thanks 1717 and 2775)

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:29 PM
Unregistered User
AKA: JABot67
FRC #2930 (Sonic Squirrels)

John Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Bottenberg has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't around in 2002 (FLL maybe) but from this video on the HOT team site link
it looks like it was really hard to overcome the Beast's ability to grab onto all three of the goals in the first seconds of the match. The HOTBOT tried to ram their arm, and that match the Beast only grabbed two goals. BUT, they also grabbed onto our robot and dragged it with them for the rest of the match.

I'm curious as to why 71 didn't grab any of the goals in the second Einstein final match (from the vids on TBA).
Team 3322 Programming Mentor: 2012-2014
Team 2930 Engineering Mentor: 2015-????

Last edited by John Bottenberg : 04-20-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Wrong video.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
AKA: Noah Tomaszewski
FRC #0968 (RAWC)
Team Role: Mentor

NoahTheBoa has a spectacular aura aboutNoahTheBoa has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to NoahTheBoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABot67 View Post
I wasn't around in 2002 (FLL maybe) but from this video on the HOT team site http://www2.huronvalley.k12.mi.us/sc...wton SF1-2.wmv
it looks like it was really hard to overcome the Beast's ability to grab onto all three of the goals in the first seconds of the match. The HOTBOT tried to ram their arm, and that match the Beast only grabbed two goals. BUT, they also grabbed onto our robot and dragged it with them for the rest of the match.

I'm curious as to why 71 didn't grab any of the goals in the second Einstein final match (from the vids on TBA).
It looks like SPAM knocked them off their path and then 71 couldn't get turned back around.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 10:52 PM
19 Years of FIRST and counting
AKA: Brian Cholerton
FRC #1468 (J-Birds)

Rookie Year: 1999
Brian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant futureBrian C has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABot67 View Post
it looks like it was really hard to overcome the Beast's ability to grab onto all three of the goals in the first seconds of the match.

It was a combination of SPAM's (team 180) incredible speed and a well thrown soccer ball at the beginning of the match. The ball ended up under
71's machine as it fell into it's operating mode as SPAM made contact. Our alliance (311 308 180) went on to beat them that match to make it a 1-1 tie in the Finals.

I have to mention that one of our alliance partners, team 308 from Walled Lake Michigan. Their robot was able to pick up 2 180lb goals and then move forward into the scoring zones. Looking back I appreciate the ability to do that given the limited motor selections, transmissions and technology available at the time. You have to realize this was pre-AndyMark after all!

Team 311 only lasted 2 more years after that. The Championship Finals at Epcot was one of our highest achievements.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 11:28 PM
Coach
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Teacher

wilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond repute

what the heck is this "tether" the MC is talking about? it looks like some sort of ribbon? Does it extend the robot to the "end zone?" what is the significance in that?

sorry, I was only 25 then and in school at the time.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2009, 11:54 PM
Hungry Dawgs Run Faster
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmw04 View Post
what the heck is this "tether" the MC is talking about? it looks like some sort of ribbon? Does it extend the robot to the "end zone?" what is the significance in that?

sorry, I was only 25 then and in school at the time.
One of the methods to gain points in 2002 was having part of your robot in your "endzone" at the end of the match (segment closest to your alliance station). Any part of the robot counted, so many teams devised tethers they dropped and left there and/or "runners" that would drive back on a tether towards the end of the match in order to get these points while still being in position to control the goals.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:12 AM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)

Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez

Here's a description of the 2002 game: http://www.team237.com/2002game.html
Here's a good photo of their robot that year: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/photos/12168
Their feet were made from filecards. They didn't actually lift the cards, instead they shuffled them back and fourth to move the bot forward. Try it yourself, put a filecard face down on the carpet and try to push it back and fourth. Now imagine a hundred pounds of weight on the card and you can see why nobody could push 71 backwards.
Once 71 had the goals that year could be pushed sideways, but not backwards. You can see it happen in one of the videos I have from 2002, but I don't remeber which one. http://www.students.ccsu.edu/~rodriguezjel/2002/
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:29 AM
Seth Berg
AKA: Seth Berg
FRC #0694 (Stuy Pulse)

Ice Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to beholdIce Berg is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Ice Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Rodriguez View Post
Their feet were made from filecards.
What are filecards?

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Strategery
AKA: Matt Brechting
FRC #2075 (Enigma)
Team Role: College Student

Enigma's puzzle is a splendid one to beholdEnigma's puzzle is a splendid one to beholdEnigma's puzzle is a splendid one to beholdEnigma's puzzle is a splendid one to beholdEnigma's puzzle is a splendid one to beholdEnigma's puzzle is a splendid one to beholdEnigma's puzzle is a splendid one to behold

I heard from someone that played against that robot that it tracked the middle goal, but if the goal moved then they would only be able to grapple one goal. the middle one. They also said that they developed an auton that would run out to the middle of the field and ram the middle goal in order to throw them off.

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
in between teams
AKA: Luke Van Oort
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
lukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond reputelukevanoort has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lukevanoort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Berg View Post
What are filecards?
They're kind of like the metal brushes you use to clean a grill. The name comes from their use - cleaning files.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Design Ninja
FRC #0126 (Gael Force)

Tim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond reputeTim Baird has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tim Baird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Berg View Post
What are filecards?
Filecards are used to clean files, and have many small metal teeth/fingers. Try sticking one into a carpet sometime and pulling. Good luck moving it.

We (190) used them as well, but as anchors. The robot would drive in between two goals, latch on with cables/hooks and drive past into our zone. The anchors would push down into the carpet, raise the drive wheels, and then pull the goals back. It was literally impossible to move the robot. I had always hoped to go head-to-head with 71 to see if they could move us without ripping a hole in the carpet underneath one/both of our robots, but we never met up on the field.

History:
Gael Force 126: 1999-2000
WPI 190: 2001-2004
Gael Force 126: 2005-2010
Event Volunteer Only: 2011-Present
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:09 AM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)

Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma's puzzle View Post
I heard from someone that played against that robot that it tracked the middle goal, but if the goal moved then they would only be able to grapple one goal. the middle one. They also said that they developed an auton that would run out to the middle of the field and ram the middle goal in order to throw them off.
There was no autonomous back then, so no tracking. It was all driver speed and robot quickness.
71 could be beat out to the middle goal, like 180 did, but it was rare.
Here's the national semi, team 71 v team 60. 60 just beats 71 to the goals, but 71 wins out. It was possibly the most anticipated match of the year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAmAn...eature=related
71 could grab and push as mentioned, 60 could grab 2 goals, lift them off the carpet and spin them around the robot so no one could grab them. Quite impressive when you consider those goals weighed about 180lbs each.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:16 AM
Chris Hibner's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Eschewing Obfuscation Since 1990
AKA: Lars Kamen's Roadie
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire (on sabbatical))

Rookie Year: 1997
Chris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond reputeChris Hibner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
I have to mention that one of our alliance partners, team 308 from Walled Lake Michigan. Their robot was able to pick up 2 180lb goals and then move forward into the scoring zones. Looking back I appreciate the ability to do that given the limited motor selections, transmissions and technology available at the time. You have to realize this was pre-AndyMark after all!
Those final matches still haunt me. I was the coach for 308 back in those days. During the first match of the finals on the way to the goals a shaft in our right gearbox shifted by about 1/8" and the first stage of gears got shredded, making us basically useless for the entire finals. It still kills me. Would we have won? Who knows - but I wish I would've gotten to see the matchup played out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: