OCCRA
Go to Post Billfred = genius - rsisk [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-08-2014, 10:02 PM
AKA: Stephen McKinney
FRC #0987 (The High Rollers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2003
SM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond repute
Team 987 presents: I <3 Robots Episode 1: Fundraising

Hey there CD community,

This year, Team 987 is producing a six part web series designed as a resource for students and mentors alike. It will also give a little insight into the inner workings of Team 987 and how we operate as a team. The episodes are not meant as a "one size fits all" guide to each topic, but rather a summary of what we have been successful with in the past.

Our students have been working very hard on the editing and production and would love your feedback! They are already working on next Saturday's episode, which will feature strategies and ideas for community outreach and Chairman's Award presentations.

The episode is about 25 minutes long, and is available here: http://youtu.be/5x-LWgGcLA4

If you have any ideas or suggestions, feel free to send me a PM, or contact our team on facebook/twitter.

Cheers from Team 987!
2018 FIRST Championship Houston

Team 987 - The Highrollers - Las Vegas, Nevada
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV
Re: Team 987 presents: I <3 Robots Episode 1: Fundraising

I haven't watched it all yet, but this is just amazing. Thank you for putting this together, this is going to help so many teams.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2014, 06:00 AM
I'm married to the coach
AKA: Sharon Ousley
FRC #3528 (Up Next)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
SharonO is just really niceSharonO is just really niceSharonO is just really niceSharonO is just really nice

This was great and very informative. I am sharing this with our team's fundraising committee.

I would like to hear more about the different grants you have applied for, how you are able to search them out, what goes into the application process, etc.

Sharon O
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Mentor
FRC #3245 (Ravens)

Rookie Year: 2010
James3245 is on a distinguished road

Thank you Team 987. Sustainability is everything and must be considered through the year. Great diversity of ideas...

I'm very impressed that you are putting these videos together, obviously with care and excellent preparation, during the heart of the build/competition season. I love hearing the buzz of activity in the background - further proof of an all-hands-on-deck program that doesn't shut down outreach just because there is a robot to be created!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2014, 09:27 PM
None #0329 (Raiders)

Rookie Year: 2000
Kevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to beholdKevin Ray is a splendid one to behold

WOW! I thought we were well equipped completely through our own efforts, but we couldn't hold a candle to you. Very impressive!! We've actually found that finding enough room in the building is the biggest impediment to our success.
I like some of the fund raising ideas, especially the selling of tee shirts. It is a two-fold success- you raise money and you're getting your name/number out there.
We just started looking into grant money. We're awaiting the delivery of our trailer, also purchased through a grant. You seem to have been very successful in getting grants. I guess we should look at that avenue of fund raising in more depth.
Great job and I'm looking forward to the other five parts of the web series.

Last words before magic smoke appears: "There, that oughta work!"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2014, 05:49 PM
AKA: Stephen McKinney
FRC #0987 (The High Rollers)
Team Role: Teacher

SM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond reputeSM987 has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate the feedback and kind words. Yes these are filmed in the shop so you will hear the occasional clank or whirr of a machine!

For the questions on grants, we plan on tackling these and other questions in episode six. Much of what we have applied for and received we sought out through local branches of corporations, and even employers of students' parents. Many school districts have a grants department that maintains a list of grants that schools or even individuals in the district are eligible for. Since the economic recession, grants have been harder to come by, but are starting to come back and STEM is a huge area of concentration for many agencies and corporations. We hope this means more funding for grant seekers on FIRST teams soon!

Your questions and suggestions are great. Continue to hit us up via PM, Twitter, Facebook, or our website. If you feel that you or your team has expertise in one of our upcoming topics, we would love to have a celebrity guest share their team's wealth of knowledge! We are lucky to already have some very special guests scheduled so stay tuned!
2018 FIRST Championship Houston

Team 987 - The Highrollers - Las Vegas, Nevada
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)

AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM987 View Post
If you feel that you or your team has expertise in one of our upcoming topics, we would love to have a celebrity guest share their team's wealth of knowledge! We are lucky to already have some very special guests scheduled so stay tuned!
What are the upcoming topics?

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM
FUN Host
no team (First Updates Now)

Rookie Year: 2005
Mike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond reputeMike Starke has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing job guys! Thank you so much for the information! Definitely awesome to hear how other teams raise money. Look forward to watching the next five episodes!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-10-2014, 11:41 PM
AKA: Joe Barry
FRC #0987 (HIGH ROLLERS)

Rookie Year: 2002
JB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally had a chance to view the first episode. Great production guys. Just another reason why I am so proud to be a High Roller Can't wait to see the next episode!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2014, 02:53 AM
Family FIRST
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2007
Navid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond reputeNavid Shafa has a reputation beyond repute

My jaw dropped. You guys truly are the "High Rollers". What a beautiful shop and workspace. Great information, great video. Looking forward to the next 5!

1983 | Alumnus, Former Mentor | _360 | Former Coach | 5803 | Former Mentor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: