OCCRA
Go to Post If you are playing foozball and your ball bounces back out of the goal, do you expect the table's manufacturer to fix it? No - you groan and keep playing! Nothing's different here. Like Dave said, it's part of the challenge of playing the game. - petek [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lead Engineer & Coach
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Inspiration, Ideation & Copying

EDIT: Per Ivan Malik (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=25)
I mis-attributed the quote I'm using in this thread. I've reworded the post as such.

I read a quote last fall which struck me:
Quote:
“An idea is nothing more or less than a new combination of old elements. The capacity to bring old elements into new combinations depends largely on the ability to see relationships.”
This quote, which apparently is now so far removed from its original context (per Ivan) as to not be related, still made me think. This post represents my thought process upon hearing the out of context quote, as applied to my thinking towards FRC. I don't know the original context (I intend to go read up on that) nor are these thoughts based on the original context. The quote I read simply served as a seed for the thoughts below:

At the time, I vehemently disagreed with this concept, but since then I've come to appreciate that there is a lot of truth in it. While of course I agree there is still some very novel ideation occurring in the world, the vast majority of the things we typically consider innovations are really just combinations of old ideas.

In my opinion, this is especially true in FRC. (Let's face it, we're not doing any bleeding edge research and development here.)

My perspectives on ideation have really shifted since I've started meditating on this.

While every so often teams come up with very very very cool, and novel ideas -- these ideas themselves can usually be broken down into the pieces which inspired them. Mostly these ideas come from the "real" world. Often these ideas come from past FRC robots. Sometimes these ideas come from CURRENT FRC robots.

There has been a lot of talk this year about teams "copying" designs. Lots of teams claiming "original" ideas. I guess from my new perspective... we're all copying. All of us.

In general, people are very bad about understanding the nature of ideation and the creative process. This is probably why one of the most common questions for creative people is: "How did you think of that?" It is also why most creative people are terrible at answering that question.

Sure, there are novel and innovative combinations of ideas. Relationships between ideas that maybe most teams won't think of. Tradeoffs which some teams make that other teams disagreed with for one reason or another during the build season.

This doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that many of us are straight up lying to ourselves about where ideas come from. In the heat of the season, it is rare that anyone tracks where ideas come from, even rarer when they get traced back to the source.

I think it is silly when teams say "We came up with this idea on our own." What does that even mean? Are you even sure? Who said the idea in your meeting? Do you know what in that person's past gave them the idea?

Of course -- if you do know where an idea came from it is always nice to provide attribution!

If you don't know (for sure) where an idea came from... you may want to acknowledge (at least to yourself) that we get ideas from all over the place, and it probably is more influenced by outside factors than you realize.

Something to meditate on.
-John

Last edited by artdutra04 : 02-24-2014 at 10:52 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I prefer you give a perfect effort.
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inspiration, Ideation & Copying

I couldn't agree more!
Quite often, as a mentor who has been around for 10+ years, I throw out ideas that come from robots I have seen in the past. Often I get attributed as the source of the idea. I always try to attribute the idea to it's source whenever possible.
Our "Top dead center" catapult design this year is exactly such an idea. We posted video of our prototyping, but included the fact that it was NOT our original idea. Sure we tweaked it to meet our needs but it is not an original idea.
Following JVN's thought, I'll bet the team that inspired me to try this idea did not originate it themselves either. They were inspired to use the concept from somewhere else.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC).
Curie Division Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up. Madtown Throwdown: Runner up.
2015 Innovation in Control Award, Sacramento.
2016 Chezy Champs Finalist, 2016 MTTD Finalist
2017 Utah Regional Winner!, Sacramento Finalist
Innovation in Control Newton/Carver Divisions , Newton #5 Captain
2018 WFFA Sacramento, Creativity Award Galileo-Robling Divisions
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:38 PM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

"Then JVN spoke these words. 'I am the one who brought you out of the land of bad design, out of the land of poor drivetrain efficiency. To these I bring you these 3 commandments:

1. You shall honor no ideology in design other than it being iterative.

2. You shall not claim an idea as your own, because even innovations come from a combination of old ideas. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

3. Everything must be anodized black for maximum performance.'

Chief Delphi said to the people of FIRST, “Do not be afraid. JVN has come to test you, so that the fear of bad design will be with you to keep you from following through it.”

Exodus 20:1-5

The word of JVN for the people of JVN. Thanks be to JVN.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Programming Mentor
AKA: Dillon Woollums
FRC #1806 (S.W.A.T.)

Rookie Year: 2012
Woolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond reputeWoolly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
"
3. Everything must be anodized black for maximum performance.'
Is black powder coat acceptable?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 01:50 PM
needlessly agitating
AKA: "very active discussion within our community"
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)
Team Role: Mascot

Rookie Year: 2009
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly View Post
Is black powder coat acceptable?
Bro, I don't make the rules.

I am not an engineer or educator by trade, but I love this sport. If you are interested in mentoring the best students in FIRST and willing to put up with me, please contact me via PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:02 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

--Isaac Newton

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:57 PM
FRC #3512 (Spartatroniks)

Rookie Year: 2011
Nick.kremer is a jewel in the roughNick.kremer is a jewel in the roughNick.kremer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
This doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that many of us are straight up lying to ourselves about where ideas come from. In the heat of the season, it is rare that anyone tracks where ideas come from, even rarer when they get traced back to the source.
^ This is very true!

2011 was our rookie year, and the thought of designing a mini-bot was a daunting one! Our mini-bot team searched the internet and YouTube for inspiration until they finally found this really cool idea for a bot that used surgical tubing to clamp on the bar, and used vex parts for everything else.

We stuck with that design, added our own improvements, and we had 100% deployment every time we went for the pole. Long story short, we actually ran into the very team we got the design from, and they were overjoyed that someone had copied their design, and quizzed us left and right about the modifications we made and how it worked.

Anyway, our head coach once said that "Copying is the best form of flattery", and so if we find a cool or innovative design for a robot and we use it, we had better know who to credit!

Check out Team 3512's Website!

Like us on Facebook!

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Enjoying the Sunset
FRC #3476 (Code Orange)

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond reputeMark Sheridan has a reputation beyond repute

To recycle from one of my earlier posts about RI3d robots:
Quote:
"The hero (inventor) customarily credited with the invention followed previous inventors who had similar aims and had already produced designs, working models, or commercial successful models. Edison's famous "invention" of the incandescent light bulb on the night of October 21,1879, improved on many other incandescent light bulbs patented by other inventors between 1841 and 1878." Diamond, Jared (1999). guns, germs and steel: pg.245
The rest of my post is here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=39

I strongly agree with Jared Diamond that we have a heroic viewpoint of inventors and we deny acknowledging the system that allowed them to be successful: great education, predicate inventions and an environment that fostered trial by error.

My analogy is that is like a increasing the surface of a chemical reaction. By having more knowledge, inspirations and experiments, there more likely a great innovation will come forth.

And here is couple from Dean Kamen's rude realities:

Quote:
Suggestion #3: Invent as a last resort. Almost all of the innovations you can think of didn’t start with a clean piece of paper. Find a way to use existing things and make them better.
Rude Reality #3: Invention does not equal Innovation. Inventions are wonderful technical gizmos, but Innovations are powerful enough ideas that they change the way that people work and live. -Dean Kamen
The rest are here:http://blog.van.fedex.com/dean-kamen-innovation

I think that a team that seeks to be original won't be not guaranteed that they are innovative. However their endeavor can still inspire other ideas.

In essences the topic is about the nature of inspiration: we take in knowledge and experiences from many sources including predicate devices, process it to make connections and create an ensemble of connections called an idea. Inspiration is a funny thing in our minds and it can come in so many forms. sometimes inspiration leads to copying, all the connections point to copying being the best idea.

so the question for copying is moral. That is a personal choice for many people. Why is copying bad in education, because it denies one connections forged through education. Choosing not to be influence by another idea to avoid copying is the same thing, one is choosing to deny potential connections to create ideas. To me copying homework and choosing to not to copy an innovative design are the same thing, your keeping your mind close.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 04:39 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post

If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

--Isaac Newton
In 2014, the Average Joes will be standing on the shoulders of JVN.

So will many other FRC teams. Our performance in competition will depend on how well we have iteratively moved the details toward perfection.

Mentor since 2011 for FRC 3620 Average Joes (St. Joseph, Michigan)
Mentor 2002-10 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-22-2014, 06:51 PM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I read a quote last fall which struck me:

At the time, I vehemently disagreed with this concept, but since then I've come to appreciate that there is a lot of truth in it. While of course I agree there is still some very novel ideation occurring in the world, the vast majority of the things we typically consider innovations are really just combinations of old ideas.
The Gurney Flap is one of my favorite examples of this. Some auto racers thought they invented it in the 70s, but it turns out that it had been discovered in the early 1930s! Even if it's new to you, you probably aren't the first guy or gal to have that problem.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:06 AM
<< (2008 Game Piece)
FRC #1918 (NC Gears)

Rookie Year: 2006
Wayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond reputeWayne TenBrink has a reputation beyond repute

"You didn't build that" - Barack Obama

We all stand on the shoulders of giants. None of us invented the wheel or Polycarbonate. However, that doesn't downplay the value of the smallest invention, innovation, act of creativity, or plain old hard work. Most people that stand on the shoulders of giants just sit back and enjoy the view. Few are inclined or able to build on what they started with.

There is a difference between "copying" and "innovating". If an idea or relationship is so obscure or remote that we can't even trace it back to its origin, then there is a good chance that some innovation may have been involved. Perhaps not so much if it is something you saw on Youtube yesterday.

FIRST is not about building robots. It is about building thinkers and problem solvers. Even though we often use other peoples ideas or products (our robot is full of stuff from Vex, AM, and Banebots), I still think it is important to encourage "original thought".

FRC 1918 (Competing at FIM Traverse City and Kentwood events in 2018)
FTC 6043, 7911 & 13554
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2014, 09:52 AM
FRC #3005 (RoboChargers)

Rookie Year: 2013
Steven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like the value of a purely original idea is becoming lessened with the internet age. It is too easy for billions of people to hop online and spout out their every thought, and it is well documented. I have heard people claim wistfully, "I thought of that years ago! I could have gotten rich!", as if it was that single novel idea that led to someone else's success, instead of all the work and risk associated with implementing the idea.

I strongly believe the secret sauce that allows some to succeed is in the execution of ideas. If we took a single Ri3D example this year, and had every team build a copy, you would still have enough variation to differentiate teams based on their execution of the build. In my opinion, teaching teams to execute is at least on par with teaching them to innovate if we want students to be successful in our modern economy.

When I look at reveal videos, and see those who have both innovated outside of the Ri3D/BB envelope (or even prior year designs) and executed a design wonderfully, I'm blown away. When I see robots that have clearly pulled elements from recent examples, but built a cleanly executed robot, I'm still inspired. When I see a robot at a regional that is very original, but non-functional, it is hard to not be disappointed that a team put in a lot of work and effort to create something they may not even get to play with (versus inspired by their creativity).
2013 - Day I Die - Robot Fanatic

Last edited by Steven Smith : 02-23-2014 at 10:01 AM. Reason: addition
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2014, 11:44 AM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

I've held that belief for awhile. I try to get my team members to watch as much robot video and analyze other teams robots as much as possible. It's way easier to build something new that works, when you can recall how a bunch of old things worked.

Here is a little attribution for this seasons inspirations.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:07 PM
human
AKA: Colin Nobles
FRC #0148
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2005
colin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond reputecolin340 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to colin340

Quote:
This is probably why one of the most common questions for creative people is: "How did you think of that?" It is also why most creative people are terrible at answering that question.
-John
This movie hit on this point nicely
http://documentarystorm.com/art-and-copy/

@47 ish mins

If we are doing anything we are cooking, that's all design ever was. Sticking ideas together, there is a ton of skill and hardwork to stick them together optimal fashion.

AND REMEMBER TO PICK THE RIGHT KIND OF CHEESE!!

{ ALL IDEAS ABOVE STOLEN FROM MR. JOHN BELT DESIGN PROFF @ SUNY OSWEGO}

Last edited by colin340 : 02-23-2014 at 12:23 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Team Leader
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 1997
Jim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond repute

Focus on solving the problem, not on being deliberately creative. If you effectively solve the problem, creativity is naturally leveraged as part of finding a great solution.

I have been inventing things my entire life. As an engineer, I am involved in tremendously creative endeavors on a daily basis. Despite this, I am uncertain whether I have ever had a truly original idea in my life. Most of design and engineering is recombination and optimization of prior concepts.

Originality does not really matter, Solutions matter.
A new solution IS original, even if it is entirely made of old ideas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: