OCCRA
Go to Post If all you are is a nail, every hammer looks like a problem. - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Media   CD-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Don't lay blame. Fix probems.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute
2015 Beta Testing - The Components are Here.

Well, the beta test components showed up yesterday and we couldn't resist snapping some pictures.

http://www.fightingpi.org/Resources/...oduction.shtml

There's not a lot that's new, but at least they've all got their official shells, so this is what you should expect to see for next season.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 11:41 AM
AKA: Safiq
FRC #2950 (Devastators)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
safiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond reputesafiq10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2015 Beta Testing - The Components are Here.

Looks beautiful! Do you guys plan on making a video of how you connect all the components?

2014 Dallas Semi-Finalist (Thanks 3847 & 231)
2014 OKC Semi-Finalist (Thanks 2341 & 2461)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 12:25 PM
on walkabout
FRC #2175 (The Fighting Calculators)

Rookie Year: 2008
Aren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Line View Post
Well, the beta test components showed up yesterday and we couldn't resist snapping some pictures.

http://www.fightingpi.org/Resources/...oduction.shtml

There's not a lot that's new, but at least they've all got their official shells, so this is what you should expect to see for next season.
Thanks for posting these. A few things (that may have already been addressed by someone, but I couldn't find anything):

-Now that the shells are more or less finalized, any idea when we might get CAD files or interface drawings to plan for fasteners and layout? Schematics, meanwhile, I can understand not being available until almost kickoff.

-Not sure if data on this already exists. Has anyone done testing on when the regulated VRM outputs drop out? Also, do I understand correctly that the rRio does not have a regulated supply, and therefore is sensitive to all battery fluctuations? Probably this isn't an issue since it runs down to 7V, but any testing and data on this would be great, too.

Edit: nevermind, this isn't really that important
-Any option for (regulated) 24V outputs? (for special sensors, etc. not just from 24V solenoids) I suppose the 2015 rules will dictate if it's legal to use the PCM for this purpose (I suspect not). This has not been available in the past either, but it might be nice ...

There's lots of good suggestions for tests over in this thread, in particular concerning I/O timing and how I/O performance depends on voltage outages, brownouts, etc., as well as other concerns about real-time performance. Does anyone know if there is data or testing on any of this posted somewhere?

Last edited by Aren Siekmeier : 08-16-2014 at 12:28 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 03:26 PM
FRC #2468 (Team NI & Appreciate)

Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

This white paper http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14613/en/

is probably pretty close to what you are looking for. The cRIOs used by FIRST are very similar to the 9074, and the roboRIO is very similar to the 9068. There are other white papers that discuss the scheduler and other aspects, but this is the first one I located that had benchmarks.

Just saw your other question. I think it is more appropriate to say that the roboRIO doesn't require an externally regulated supply. The supply of the cRIO and roboRIO were both internally regulated, but the cRIO levels didn't match what was available on a FIRST robot. The roboRIO's internal regulation was designed so that the roboRIO can be connected to any 12V PD circuit. I'm pretty sure the rules will specify that you use the blue circuit on the end of the PD, though.

Greg McKaskle

Last edited by Greg McKaskle : 08-16-2014 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Another question
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 03:32 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

The shells look very nice! They all look like very quality components!

Can't wait for CAD models. Anyone know when they're coming?

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 03:51 PM
on walkabout
FRC #2175 (The Fighting Calculators)

Aren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond reputeAren Siekmeier has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
This white paper http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14613/en/

The roboRIO's internal regulation was designed so that the roboRIO can be connected to any 12V PD circuit. I'm pretty sure the rules will specify that you use the blue circuit on the end of the PD, though.
Thanks for the link. I'll give that a read. I'm sure the roboRio will be required to be on the 10A fused connection for protection.

I believe the old PDB kept the 24V supply up with a battery even as low as 4V (or maybe I'm making that number up). When it says the roboRio minimum is 7V, is that the same sort of bottom end for the regulator inside? The battery pretty much never drops below 4V, but can certainly get pulled below 7V if several things are going wrong at the same time, and I'd hate to add a controller reboot to the list of consequences. How does roboRio brownout/reboot compare to that of the regulated supply on the old PDB?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 04:09 PM

Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

The brownout behavior and voltage levels were a major testing area of the alpha. I'll let the alpha teams describe the details.

The goal is to keep the controller from rebooting for as long as possible. This includes having the motor controllers and possibly other components shut down when necessary to keep power to the roboRIO. It may be tweaked further during the beta, and again, I'll let the teams describe their experience with it.

Greg McKaskle
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:05 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
The brownout behavior and voltage levels were a major testing area of the alpha. I'll let the alpha teams describe the details.

The goal is to keep the controller from rebooting for as long as possible. This includes having the motor controllers and possibly other components shut down when necessary to keep power to the roboRIO. It may be tweaked further during the beta, and again, I'll let the teams describe their experience with it.

Greg McKaskle
Any reason a backup battery wasn't implemented for this? I believe this was the exact reason it was included in the old IFI control system. I understand why it wasn't included with the cRio, but the RoboRio is a custom unit.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:41 PM

As one of the SW guys, the best reason I can give is .. because FIRST and the HW guys thought this was a better approach.

I'll let one of them or one of the alpha/beta testers describe more about the behavior.

Greg McKaskle
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:44 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

I hated the IFI backup battery.
It was another thing for teams to keep track of and charged without an easy indicator of when it was depleted or the contact was bad.
They always seemed to be dead for 50% of the teams I helped at events.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 05:57 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McLeod View Post
I hated the IFI backup battery.
It was another thing for teams to keep track of and charged without an easy indicator of when it was depleted or the contact was bad.
They always seemed to be dead for 50% of the teams I helped at events.
It doesn't have to be that way though. Those are all completely solvable problems.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:02 PM
FRC #0811

coolhandluke811 will become famous soon enough

I was told in an email by CRE that CAD would be released as soon as beta teams received their parts. So....yeah.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Just Itinerant
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hill View Post
It doesn't have to be that way though. Those are all completely solvable problems.
Everything is a solvable problem. It's the perspectives that differ.
From one perspective the best solution was to be rid of the added operational complexity and make the system more tolerant to low voltage conditions.
When the voltage gets that low, the robot is not going to be going anywhere anyway.

Last edited by Mark McLeod : 08-16-2014 at 06:21 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:16 PM
AKA: Nick Aarestad
FRC #2220 (Blue Twilight) & FTC 9205 (The Iron Maidens)

cadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond reputecadandcookies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke811 View Post
I was told in an email by CRE that CAD would be released as soon as beta teams received their parts. So....yeah.
So they should be coming soon! Good news!

Never assume the motives of others are, to them, less noble than yours are to you. - John Perry Barlow
grabcad | twitter | github
MN FTC Field Manager, FTA, CSA, Emcee
FLL Maybe NXT Year (09-10) -> FRC 2220 (11-14) -> FTC 9205(14-?)/FRC 2667 (15-16) -> FRC 2220 (18-??)
VEXU UMN (2015-17)
Volunteer since 2011
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2014, 06:29 PM
FRC RI/FLL Field Manager
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke811 View Post
And the roboRIO models are already available.

2016 FIRST Championship Tesla Division | 2016 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award

2015 FIRST Championship Carson Division | 2015 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2013 FIRST Championship Curie Division | 2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award

2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division | 2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: